SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   I won my first race! Thanks John H! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/31609-i-won-my-first-race-thanks-john-h.html)

Kacper 04-20-2007 12:49 AM

I won my first race! Thanks John H!

I am happy to report that yesterday while singlehandling a catalina capri 22', I ran into another identical boat.

We decided to race and, I won!

It was a real rush, it was my first time racing another boat.(also singlehandled) so we were even matched.

Not only did I move faster than the boat, but I moved WAY faster. We were both on a beam reach, the other boat was about quarter mile ahead of me, I zoomed up right along side of him within about 5 minutes. It was fun watching the other guy wondering "How is he moving that fast!?"

I continued moving right along his port side, slamming through the water. the wind was 7-9 knots from our port side. came right along side of him, and my sails blocked out his wind a little bit, and I rocketed ahead and kept the other boat in my wake.

How satisfying :) I might just get hooked on racing.

How did I win?

Well, I think it's all thanks to all those articles John H posted on proper traveler use(use Search to find them if you haven't read it, you must.)

The other guy had his traveller incorrectly set for the wind conditions and the main too tight = drag and less lift.

I was able to get my main shaped beautifully, and presto! Rocket Speed!

So thanks to you guys from this forum, it just shows that reading stuff here just might actually occasionally help you out on the water :D

Kacper

Giulietta 04-20-2007 12:56 AM

Kac...cool

just one little remark...as a gentleman sailor, and as a courtesy towards another sailorman, it is of extreme good etiquete, when overtaking a slower sailboat, to do it from leeward, as not to disturb his wind...
;) ;) ;)

Now...get ready for the "bug":D :D

poopdeckpappy 04-20-2007 01:21 AM

One thing Giu forgot to mention, passing to looward makes it easier to pass the gray poupon

uspirate 04-20-2007 01:25 AM

congrats, the capri is a fast boat but im still trying to put some things together, ie: sailboat=race, jumbo=shrimp, military=intelligence:rolleyes:

Kacper 04-20-2007 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giulietta
Kac...cool

just one little remark...as a gentleman sailor, and as a courtesy towards another sailorman, it is of extreme good etiquete, when overtaking a slower sailboat, to do it from leeward, as not to disturb his wind...
;) ;) ;)

Now...get ready for the "bug":D :D

I didn't know that... I'll keep it in mind next time :) I guess if I pass to leeward it also makes you look better because you're sort of passing with a disadvantage :)

sailingdog 04-20-2007 07:53 AM

Kacper-

Motorsailing doesn't count in a race...

Just kidding... congratulations... it's often been said, one sailboat is sailing, two sailboats are a race... And Giu is right about the courtesy of passing them to leeward.

T34C 04-20-2007 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog
Just kidding... congratulations... it's often been said, one sailboat is sailing, two sailboats are a race... And Giu is right about the courtesy of passing them to leeward.

I thought it was, "two sailboats pass in the night and no one notices, two sailboats pass in the day and it's a race.":)

camaraderie 04-20-2007 09:57 AM

Kac...
I am happy to report that yesterday while singlehandling a catalina capri 22', I ran into another identical boat.
We decided to race and, I won!

After disabling the other boat did you really expect to lose?? (G)

sailingdog 04-20-2007 10:07 AM

Cam-

He's just a very aggressive racer... tactics wise... ;)

nolatom 04-20-2007 10:26 AM

But if you pass to leeward, do it many boatlengths to leeward, or you could get blanketed and stuck there.

And you can pass to windward, if you're far enough off that you don't cast much of a blanket that far to leeward. 6-7 boatlengths' lateral distance should be enough clearance.