Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Perhaps it was just a close call, but close enough for them to leap over.. who knows though... lots of conjecture. It's just a very strange set of circumstances. Forget the engine running, but having food actually on the table?
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2007

Tea-Rex is on a distinguished road
hows that for a scenario?

one guy prepares food, then goes topside to announce dinner.
one of the guys gets up from his sunny spot, slips and gets over board. the other two guys jump after him without looking for the other, each thinking the other will bring the boat about.
the sail might gotten damaged afterwards.
Old 04-20-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
Couldn't the dingy in the pic be that of the authorities who arrived on the scene?
Old 04-20-2007
Jersey Member

STARWINDY is on a distinguished road
I think you may be on to something TEA-REX, allthough I would much rather continue the tanned babes going to Fiji theory.

What time is it in OZ...we should be getting a report soon.
Old 04-20-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Well - it looks like all our speculations are pointing towards the rapid confused MOB situation when all 3 men somehow end up in the water.

The torn sail could have happened any other time afterwards.

However... if the seas were only "windier" , as the article describes them, is that enough to tare that sail to bits? Could be a really old worn out sail, but it looks like a fairly new boat.

It's true You don't need rough weather to have an MOB. I once had an MOB just at the dock when my friend slipped and went head first underneath the lifelines into the freezing water, he was unconscious, and it took 4 people to get him out...
Old 04-20-2007

sittingonthedock is on a distinguished road
>I'm also highly doubtful that it was rough conditions that did it. Most people don't prepare a meal and set a table for rough conditions sailing. Also, I doubt they would have just left a meal sitting out if they were going to the aid of another boat, even if it was Kacper's highly unlikely boat of naked women. <

1. What is this the S.S.Martha Stewart? Setting the table?...open can, insert spoon, lunch is served, done.
2. Typical, shrimp on the barby, giant cans of Fosters, sailboats full of naked women?...Damn Auzzies have it all!

LOL

seriously, hope all are OK.
Old 04-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernix
Couldn't the dingy in the pic be that of the authorities who arrived on the scene?
Unlikely, as it appears to be hanging from the davits.. the people boarding the boat would probably not put their dinghy up in the davits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonthedock
1. What is this the S.S.Martha Stewart? Setting the table?...open can, insert spoon, lunch is served, done.
2. Typical, shrimp on the barby, giant cans of Fosters, sailboats full of naked women?...Damn Auzzies have it all!
Yes, setting the table is quite unusual on a monohull, as the table wouldn't stay set for long, much less keep the food on it...unless the table was gimballed...which I haven't ever seen. On a larger multihull, setting the table, and sitting down to eat like civilized people is not all that an unusual occurrence—which says a lot about monohull sailors...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-20-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
It's definitely a ghost ship, look at the larger photo that Kacper posted...there's a skull in the torn jib, a sure sign of something eerie going on
Old 04-21-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernix

The photo was taken from the rescue helicopter, a diver was dropped in the sea he swam to the boat and crawled up the transom. It was all put on the TV here in Oz

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic