Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007
Banned

clayjay is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw
This morning's Oz media is saying that after the cat was towed into Townsville no eveidence was found to explain the crew's disappearance. One would have to figure that damage from grounding on a reef would have been pretty much evident.

I'd note that the authorities are talking about a number of days out there floating around. That sail could have been shredded at any time.

Not necessarily, the Aussies are a bit too laid back at times (make that ALL the time). They probably haven't even thought of looking below the waterline yet.

I thought of another theory. They set up a barbeque on the reef, got blind drunk on weak pissy beer and failed to notice the cat had long since got bored with the inane conversation about football and had buggered off !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Wow that must come close to winning the crassness prize. Three guys die presumably but hopefully not and we get that.
Old 04-22-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee
Wow that must come close to winning the crassness prize. Three guys die presumably but hopefully not and we get that.
Nah, I'm certain we can do a lot better than that. There are depths unplumbed I'm sure.

I'm not really sure it matters though. No one from the family of these guys is going to be reading this. People die all the time and other people joke about it. Fact of life.

As for poor taste - you should have seen some of the VT "jokes" that were swirling around the net last week.

As to the BBQ scenario , I'd actually take it a bit seriously if not for the sails. Even a bunch of brain dead drongos would not drop a pick on a reef for a fish and a bbq and leave their sails hoisted. Would they ?

No, this is definitely a mystery. Dinghy still hanging off the stern. Fenders rigged down one hull. Why ? Those fenders are the key to it all I reckon. Why ? Why would anyone rig fenders in the middle of the Coral Sea ?

Finally, WEAK beer ? Please, this is Australia, we drink real beer not that Budweiser crap.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 04-22-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2007
Senior Moment

RickBowman is an unknown quantity at this point
The answer is quite simple actually. They went missing. Your welcome.
Old 04-24-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Definitely turning into the Wombat Triangle. Another abandoned boat turned up today. This time a power boat that appears to have originated in New Caledonia. Found off the coast of NE Australia. I'm thinking ET for sure. Now if we find any Manatees that have had their butts burnt off my theory will be confirmed.

OK Sailnetateers, get those tinfoil hats and underwear ready for action.

I'm expecting a rash of floating crop circles any moment now.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 04-24-2007

Looper is on a distinguished road
The Aussie press are having a field day with this one. Kidnap and conspiracy theories are now rife.

I believe one of the Japanese midget submarines that torpedoed Sydney harbour in 1941 was never located. Is it possible that the trio are being held aboard this very craft - whose crew may be unaware that the war ended over 60 years ago?
Old 04-24-2007

Looking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw
I'm expecting a rash of floating crop circles any moment now.
Ummm... wouldn't that be 'Kelp circles'?
Old 04-24-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking
Ummm... wouldn't that be 'Kelp circles'?
Yes indeed. That's what they would be indeed.

I like the Japanese midget sub theory put forward by Looper. Probably find the odd former Australian Prime Minister as well.

(For those who are scratching their heads, in the mid sixties an Australian PM, one Harold Holt, disappeared while swimming of a Melbourne beach. The prime conspiracy theory of the day was that he had been kidnapped by a Chinese submarine.)

Old 04-24-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
This is the latest news story

Kidnap theory for missing yachtsmen
Relatives of the skipper of an empty yacht found drifting off north Queensland say they believe the three missing crew members are alive, but in danger.

Hope Himing, niece of Derek Batten, 56, said she and her mother have had "spiritual contact" from her uncle - known to the family as "Des" - suggesting he is alive but fighting for his life.

"My mum and I are both Spiritualists. My mum's had a really strong feeling from Des that he's somewhere dark and he can't see and I don't feel that he's dead either," Ms Himing said.

"I don't think he's got a lot left in him but I actually don't think he's dead, and so everything we can do to get (people) out there looking again is a huge thing."

Ms Himing said she believes Mr Batten and his crew members - brothers Peter and James Tunstead, aged 69 and 63, all from Perth - may have been kidnapped.

The trio went missing some time after their yacht left Shute Harbour at Airlie Beach the Sunday before last.

The 9.8-metre catamaran, KAZ II, was found unmanned and adrift off the coast of Townsville last Wednesday.

Emergency service crews found the engine running, computers turned on, food on the table and the GPS system operating - but no sign of the boat's crew.

"It just doesn't all add up," Ms Himing said.

"If it was bad weather why would their fishing line be out?

"Why would their clothes be piled up (and) if it was that bad that it would have knocked three experienced sailors off, why wouldn't they have put on their lifejackets?"

Ms Himing dismissed police suggestions that the experienced sailors were washed overboard in bad weather.

She said she strongly believed that the yacht was boarded, and that they may have been kidnapped.

"The fenders were out on their yacht, and the only reason you ever put them out is when another boat comes aside or if you come to rest against a wharf," she said.

"It looks like they've been boarded."

Ms Himing said the families would continue to search Airlie Beach and the surrounding islands until they had closure.

She expressed dismay at the amount of time authorities spent searching the area, and said James Tunstead's son, Shane Webber, had already told them he would continue his own search until he found something.

"The police have dropped interest very quickly and dropped the search ... we feel hugely let down about this," Ms Himing said.

"They've spent days longer looking for other people in situations like this, so why have they called this one off so quickly?"

Ms Himing said the lack of closure was the most painful part of the situation.

"The hardest thing for us now is waiting and not knowing," she said.

"You can deal with a bad accident (where) they've passed away because you know, but when you don't, and to have so many questions hanging over it... it's very difficult."

Queensland police said in a statement on Monday night they would continue to keep "a watchful eye" for the three missing men.

"Despite the search being officially suspended, a Queensland Police Service aircraft will continue to monitor in an effort to locate the bodies of the missing three men," the statement said.

But police said medical advice was that the chances of survival would be "highly unlikely".

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 04-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... If the haven't been heard from yet, what is the chance that they're still breathing, given the location the boat was found in... pretty small would be my guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.