SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Odd Boat Names (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/31616-odd-boat-names.html)

sailingdog 04-20-2007 08:28 AM

Odd Boat Names

In the latest issue of Latts & Atts... they've got a blurb about Donna Lange's boat and how it is a canoe-stern, so that unless you're directly behind her, you can't read the whole name. Her boat is named "Inspired Insanity" and is home ported in the Virgin Islands... and from the aft port quarter, you can only read "Inspired Virgin" and from the aft starboard quarter you can read "Insanity Islands".

What are some other odd or funny boat names that you've run across...

eryka 04-20-2007 11:30 AM

frozen or on the rocks?

Too funny, SD. I can't come close but:

There was a boat in our marina called "Over Margaritas." The name refers to what they were drinking when they decided to sell it all and go cruising, but unfortunately all I could think of when I saw the name is "frozen or on the rocks?" Neither is a good place for a sailboat to be! Unjustified omen, tho; last I heard they were in St Lucia and doing fine...

Ronbye 04-20-2007 11:55 AM

I saw a picture of a boat named "BOW MOVEMENT"

Dewey Benson 04-20-2007 12:10 PM

San Diego has close to 10,000 slips and there are a wad of unusual and often assinine vessel names.

One of the more unusual ones I have seen was a double entendre, kisch laden
travestry. I spotted this unfortunate creature on the hard at the very pricy and high quality Driscoll yard (the origional, as there are now several of them from the Driscoll family, a virtual sailing dynasty).

I can hardly bear to repeat it. "Urine the Money" UGGH!

Dewey

eryka 04-20-2007 12:21 PM

Eeeeuw! Tell me this so-called scatological humor was powerboats?

doctom 04-20-2007 12:27 PM

sounds appropriate to me if the owner was a urologist. i am thinking of changng my boat's name to Roamin' Empire.
mike

Dewey Benson 04-20-2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctom
sounds appropriate to me if the owner was a urologist. i am thinking of changng my boat's name to Roamin' Empire.
mike

Appropo or not, exceptionally bad taste. If the owner was a Urologist then of course I should stand corrected as this would be a triple entendre.

IE:
1. Pissing ones cash away on the vessel
2. I have a lot of cash to piss away
3. I am a smug Urinary tract doctor with very questionable taste

Eryka...Yes it was a stink pot.

Dewey

STARWINDY 04-20-2007 12:37 PM

not so odd...but cute.

I'm completing a refit of a Starwind223 and have been going insane trying to pick the proper name. I was sitting at dinner the other night and turned to my 2 year old son, Kieran and asked him, "What do you think Daddy should name his boat?" With hardly any hesitation, he said " ABC's"... I looked at my wife and we both laughed but moments later I wrote down... AB-Seas and its really growing on me. Plus, it has a cute story for when folks question it.

Boasun 04-20-2007 12:45 PM

There is one stink pot up in the NW that goes by the name; On the Rocks.
Now lets see if you can keep a straight face while reporting that you are aground with a boat of that name....:D

eryka 04-20-2007 12:48 PM

Dewey - I get soooo tired of being waked by powerboats named 'fanta-sea' or 'wet dream!'

Starwindy - cute, and as you said, cute story, but what'll you name the dinghy?