Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2002
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
dangerous wakes

I agree with the Pirate of Pine Island, Ted Marin you need to take a chill pill! The comments expressed on these bulletin boards are sometimes reverent, sometimes serious, sometimes humorous and sometimes factual. The content of a reply is not always apparent in the words used to express ones opinion. It is presumptuous of you to diagnose the Pirates mental state. If you don''t feel the Pirate''s words are worthy of your intellect, visit Oprah''s website instead of this one. Raise a glass of Rum to your lips and keep your powder dry "Ted Marin"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2002

troyaux is on a distinguished road
dangerous wakes

I might remind you all that a boat owner is responsible for his wake. Isn''t that what the discussion is? As a member of the COAST GUARD auxilliary and working at at regular operating station, I advise you to quickly try to get a vessel name or Registration # and immediatly report the offender to the Coast Guard, DNR, or local sherrif who all monitor channel 16 and are usually somewhere on patrol in heavily boated recreation areas. Remember the Coast Guard monitors channel 16 24 hours a day! While you may not get the satisfaction of knowing what happened unless you follow up or file a formal complaint.. PWC''ers in my area get tickets for $140 for a lot of reasons. Its pretty easy to nail most of them fro things like operating too close to shore, playing in boat wakes and operating to close to other vessels, or operating under the influence, or reckless endangerment of another vessel and on and on...

Don''t just swear- call!!!!!!!
Remember that even if they just rocked your boat and caused you do lose wind, they could hurt someone else by causing a fall. We have a problem of Scarabs thinking they own the water.. Any captian of any kind of vessel is responsible for the havoc cause by their wake. Although no law enforcement agency will nail everyone every time you call- they will get some and the word gets out.
I have spend a good deal of time on a Coast Guard Vessels and its very interesting to turn the blue lights on and see their faces go from cocky to scared....

Its your water but you may have to fight for it.. Shooting or swearing won''t eend the problem but if you make no motion as they pass and then a few moments later report them unannouced (so you won''t have to deal with the offender as they won''t know who turned them in) We can make our waters safer.
Old 01-31-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
dangerous wakes

With all due respect, lot of luck! I was actually hit by a 40 foot Searay that was at cruising speed. (I was able to duck at the last second his bow wave pushed me far enough away that he only glanced off my toe rail). The owner had left her on autopilot and went below. He never even saw me.

We took a lot of water down below and had some damaged gear that was thrown from a locker that had not been battened down properly.

We called this into the Coast Guard and they dispatched the DNR. The DNR caught the guy but never issued a citation. We tried to get the case records to prosecute this ourselves and were told since no citation was issued we could not get the records. We filed a freedom of information act request and they dragged their feet responding until the statute of limitations had expired.

One thing that seems to work is that I carry three by five cards and a pen. When I see a power boat coming my way at speed I pretend to stare at their numbers and stand poised to write something down. You''d be amazed how often they will swerve away or throttle back.

Jeff
Old 01-31-2002

JEFryar is on a distinguished road
dangerous wakes

Thanks Big Red 56
We all seem to be preaching to the choir here. As I sail as well as power I see this issue on a person basis. I recall having a sailboat under power toeing a pram cut me off from the port side. My initial thought was to run the pram over. But my adult self thought of the hassel of defending myself and my Master''s ticket, so I just let it go with the comment to the sailor, he was that close, that his was the smallest dingy I had ever seen and I felt sorry for his wife.
Nuff said on this subject.JEF
Old 01-31-2002

nauticalrich is on a distinguished road
dangerous wakes

I told you this would be on hell of a subject.
To the coast guard. Port Jefferson has a harbor patrol. I have never seen them patrol the channel. For slower moving boats, be they power or sail, these monstorous wave makers should be stopped and and at least warned about proper speed and just plain courtesy. I have always been able to control my boat by cutting accross the wakes but it can get rediculous in this channes expecially when the waves come from all directions.
All talk from the coast guard. They leave it up to us knowing that there is not a leg to stand on, it''s the wake makers word against ours.
Black Rock did it once. They had the harbor patrol at anchor, waiting.
Two power boats sped by, one on each side and I got creamed. They actual pulled them over. Maybe the Coast Guard could discuss this with PJ.
Old 01-31-2002

bporter is on a distinguished road
dangerous wakes

I tend to draw the distinction between "powerboats" and "stinkpots" by both the utility of the boat combined with the seasmanship of the operator. A floating condo running at full throttle through a mooring field with all of the fenders hanging off it is most definitely a Stinkpot. A powerboat being SAFELY operated for fishing, skiing, etc. is not subject to scorn, as are most commerical fishermen. (Exception to that made for some of the Quahoggers here on Narragansett Bay - we alomst got T-boned by some knucklehead READING THE PAPER while driving his skiff full throttle, fortunately thoug hhe couldn''t hear our screams of warning, his dog did bark at us and alert him to our presense...but I digress).

My four year old is starting to pick up on this definition, but I think in general he may be getting tipped off by the absence of masts.

It always amazes me the way that the words "no wake" are subject to interpretation by stinkpotters. This past fall I was astounded at the number of times that my boat, while tied up at our club''s courtesy dock in a no wake zone, got bounced and slammed against the docks; thank goodness for fenders. Seemed like every ten minutes - the harbor master was nowhere to be seen. Of course with me down below with my head in the engine I couldn''t keep popping up...

Anyway, it seems that every stinkpot sold should come with a placard that reads:

Wake: (wake) n. 1. The big waves made by your boat that slam other boats around and cause damage when you go more than 5 mph near them. 2. Somber event that most sailors want to see you the guest of honor at after you flog their sails, bruise their bodies, and spill their beverages.

Then the dealer/broker should then be required to have them use this in a sentence, like "I am legally responsible for all of the damage caused by my WAKE."

Note the use of mph instead of knots. If we used knots they''d end up thinking "but I was only doing two knots, one in each shoe!"

End of Rant.
Old 02-03-2002

wfeaster1 is on a distinguished road
dangerous wakes

Yo Pirate , you could not have made the point better . My heart is yours to eat gladly . I live on the Oswego River Canal and sail on Lake Ontairo out of Oswego Harbor . I have lost property and my power boat "at the dock" due to power boaters who have no clue . Sailing out of the one of Oswego in my cape dory 25 I have been tossed and swamped , and cut off by fishermen who have no concern or skills to operate a powered vessel .
I have worked with my local town to establish enforceable wake limites and substantial penitilies . Most of these people don''t care . Give them a stiff fine and they get out there checkbooks and on to there next victory . Personally , I''d like to take away there wepons of mass destruction , There boat .
Yes there responcable for there wake , but after going the court motions more than once to seek restitution for damage I find the settlement far short .
My solution , artillery .