Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2002

nauticalrich is on a distinguished road
dangerous wakes

This has got to be one hell of a topic. All I hear is that power boaters hate sailboats.
Well I''m beginning to think it is true however stupid and imature it sounds.
I have had amongst numerous other happings, a 30 plus ft cabin cruiser come at me on a plain (spelling?) just as I was coming out from a small bridge and in total view by the power boater. He cut the throttle just as he arrived and had to make the turn. Needless to say he damned near swamped my 25 ft sail boat including my wife and myself. He had to be within 30 to 40 ft from us when he cut the engines. That''s not a power boater, that''s an AH.

Ok the question I have is for those who sail into Port Jefferson harbor, NY, on LI Sound.
There is a speed limit but apparently not at the breakwater or beginning of the harbor entrance. Not only does the ferry make a large wake but power boaters of all sizes come in on a plain and not only myself but i have seen many others have extreme difficulty navigating such a narrow area with sever wakes or seas.
It is beyond my beliefe that the harbor master does not patrol that one particular harbor area. We as I''m sure many others sailors are in the upper age group and it gets tough to handle these situations.
Now I''m starting to become like them, hateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
dangerous wakes

Ahoy nauticalrich, tis neither stupid nor immature to hate powerboaters. They are the most ignorant and mindless floatsun on the seas. A vessel "planing" throws little wake but I know what you mean about narrow channels. I''ve been nearly run down without a backward glance ,to many times to count.The stupid sob''s don''t understand the slowing down at the last minute or slowly dragging thier sterns as they pass actually makes the largest waves.However like many idots with money for brains its not what you do thet counts it''s the money talking stupid as usual. You can report any vessel and make citizen complaints to the marine police and any elected official that will listen but the help if any is usally short lived. Your comment about age though is wrong, in that if you can''t handle the unexpected risks on the water stay off. I personally have become a militant on the water and have taken measures to properly equipt my vessel with alternative sources of complaint filing in a more direct trajectory. I slobber for the day I get my chance to ram my hull into a fine victim of opportunity. Litigate that!! But being the Pirate that I am has the advantages most would find abnormal. I''ll not answer your question as you seem to need specific help in that one spot, except to say that certain sub surface devices lost at sea can be an effective deterent and generally gets the attention a particular spot might need. Big Red56 the Pirate of Pine Island.
Old 01-28-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
dangerous wakes

x
Old 01-28-2002

dangerous wakes

big red,
i have been reading your comments for some time and i am thoroughly unimpressed.

after having read you inane,insensitive, ignorant, boorish,braggardly comments and have decided you definitely need lithium.

i also read your sailing resume, and i am again not impressed.

i am sure i am speaking for many on the list that find you comments a wate of time.

why don''t you spare us all your drivel and find another outlet for your otherwise useless life.
ted
Old 01-28-2002

paulk is on a distinguished road
dangerous wakes

As BR56 says, it''s not your fault. People with more money than brains can buy all the powerboat they want. A few years back a CT lawyer bought a big one and took friends on a trip to Long Island. On the way back that night, he got lost (I think an engine cut out on him, too) and he radioed an approaching tug to ask directions. He failed to notice the three lights vertically on the tug''s mast as they circled the tug in the dark, and the thirty-some foot flybridge cruiser snagged the towline and was plowed under by the barge. Many powerboaters have little idea of how to handle their own boats, except in ideal conditions. They don''t know how to adjust their handling for tight, crowded channels like Pt.Jeff, and do not understand sailboats at all. Sailors (as in wind-users) generally have to know how to handle their own boats, or they wouldn''t be able to leave the dock. They know NOT to buy a boat bigger than they can handle. They also are likely to have at least a concept of how powerboats work, since many sailboats have auxiliary engines. Getting in and out of Pt. Jeff can be hazardous with combining wakes and wave-trains and the swift current. I usually use my engine so I can swerve to avoid some klutz who''s looking down to see what his rpm''s are; with a 6''8" draft I need to be in the channel. In a smaller boat, you may be forced to wait for a lull in the traffic (they seem to come in swarms, like lemmings) or be able to sneak along the edges (it does drop off pretty quickly, though you may catch a fishing line or two from surfcasters.) Patience IS a virtue -- otherwise we''d all be on jetskis, no?
Old 01-28-2002

dangerous wakes

the name of the boat was the karen m.
he went between the tow and the tug.
he killed his wife and daughter.
eric
Old 01-29-2002

dangerous wakes

Ahoy , your epilogue to the story made me feel ill. I pray for thier souls and I''m thinking of how senseless the whole story is. Bummer.Did the guy live and if he did how do you deal with that? Big Red 56 the Pirate of Pine Island.
Old 01-29-2002

JEFryar is on a distinguished road
dangerous wakes

First let me admit that I have a power boat. I fish commecially and cannot do that under sail. My experiences are much like yours. I find it very disturbing that uninformed people whom can write a checque take to the water without the least bit of knowledge or even concern for anyone least themselves.
What concerns me of late are the number of large sport fishing boats that have been overpowered by the manufactures to answer the desire of these people to go faster.Even when they are on plane they throw a very large wake. I am still looking for a baby blue hull "Wolly" that waked me in open water.That time it cost me a week to recover from a badly bruised elbow. The guy actually waved at me as I picked myself off the deck.
I will find this guy and I will have a discussion with him that he will not soon forget.
I have in the past reported waking and other unsociable behavior to the local USCG. They can and will pull a ticket from a Captain.When will it come to pass that not just anyone can drive any boat they can buy? Not soon so be careful out there..JEF
Old 01-29-2002

dangerous wakes

Ahoy ted marin , I couldn''t find you in the members directory so mabye you could help me so I can analyze you. In the mean time I''ll take a shot in the dark (Pirates do this when they smell something awlful wafting across the water) . First a few questions like are you a Medical doctor who is qualified to offer a diagnosis and prescribe controlled substances? Be prepared to prove it if you are. Second I''ll make a leap of faith (something else Pirates do when they are confident in thier abilities and really could care less if the lesson is painful) and suggest you own a power boat as your only comment on the question posed was an unprovoked broadside of me ship, well do ye own one or anything that floats outside yer tub? If you do ,be prepared to prove that also.
Now as the Captain of a growing fleet of buccaneers and salty seafarers me duty lies heavy on me shoulders and me heart sings when the target is as inept as you. My diagnosis of you is as follows ;( I can do this with a certian amount of bravado another Pirate trait which lends it''s self well to the situation at hand) , If there are any qualified DR''s out there I wouldn''t mind some serious feed back on my skills.
My first question is why(?) if your so unimpressed have you been reading me for so long? I think the answer is just the opposite and Im sorry if that is painfull to have to face.
My second question is why(?) you are unimpressed by my resume? The resume is just who I am and it is accurate . I think you are harboring some deep seated (forgive the pun) jealous longing to have what you cannot. Or believe you think you are in some trivial way ,superior and arrogant ,when in fact you are neither. Again I am sorry if the truth of it hurts.
My third question is why (?) do you think you speak for such a large group of people when in fact you do not? Possible you resent not being part of the in-crowd? Feeling a little left out? Explain wasting your time on someone who you waste a long time reading?
My last question is Wh... no the reason I couldn''t be a doctor is I don''t have the patience it takes to sit here and listen to your insanity. My life has and will always be fun , facinating , adventureous, free , clear sailing the world I chose , the likes of which you''re are to stupid to comprehend and to jealous to understand.
Oh Yeah I almost forgot, Pitates are exactly what you describe and a whole lot more and I''ll cut yer heart out and eat it for dinner if ye like me to prove the point.
Avast thar ye mud sucking eel !! Shove off to yer ole in de bottom lest ye be me soup!! Big Red 56 the Pirate of Pine Island
Old 01-29-2002

dangerous wakes

Ahoy JEFryar, Big Red 56 the pirate here, hey some of me best friends and all my dock mates at the marina are commercial fishermen and they are a great bunch of scoundrels. Your apology is not necessary and I hand it back to your heart. I was once approching a sailboat under power and sail and though I was on the starboard tack and under sail alone , as I was in an 11 foot Moth and his 26 footer was on course to make a mark I luffed up and let the other vessel pass just before he started making his avoidence maneuver, as I crossed his stern the other captain remarked that I indeed did have the right away . I replied that the rules don''t always apply and there are times when the higher standard of human kindness and tact had led me to my decision. The way I see it we all share the water. Your inherent right to work the water in turn gives you my right of way and a wide berth at all times. See you on the Horizon. Big Red 56 the Pirate of Pine Island.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.