Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Tenuki...in his phone conversation he says he hasn't been able to getthe CARD saytem to work. How does a freighter not see a steel hulled 70 ft. schooner?? Yes...both vessels are to blame...I would imagine that Maersk captain has some 'splainin' to do when he hits port.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I couldn't give a flying **** as to his bed partners, his boat, his vision, whatever, but I do reserve the right to laugh at the silly ***** if I want to.

Without doubt the guy has the experience, seems to have the knowledge certainly has the grit but he still comes across as the nautical equivalent of a dumb blonde at worst or a silly old aging hippy at best.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-07-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
He is on record as hoving too so they can have a good sleep!
He turns of the power yet has three, sea motion power generators!
He is in the shipping lanes!
A freighter Zooms past and clips his bow sprit!
When the girl comes out she likes it on the cockpit table, with the wind in her hair!

Is this really happening or is this CAPRICORN ONE on the ocean.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 05-07-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV
He is on record as hoving too so they can have a good sleep!
He turns of the power yet has three, sea motion power generators!
He is in the shipping lanes!
A freighter Zooms past and clips his bow sprit!
When the girl comes out she likes it on the cockpit table, with the wind in her hair!

Is this really happening or is this CAPRICORN ONE on the ocean.
I like it on the cockpit table with the wind in my hair as well, but not after having my bowsprit bent by a passing steamer.

ps - I'm with you Sway re the audio.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-07-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw
I like it on the cockpit table with the wind in my hair as well, but not after having my bowsprit bent by a passing steamer.
, I ain't even going to comment on that one

ok, I lied, they say if it last more than 36 hrs, you should go see a doctor, but I guess grinding it on the side of a passing frighter works too
Old 05-07-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy
, I ain't even going to comment on that one

ok, I lied, they say if it last more than 36 hrs, you should go see a doctor, but I guess grinding it on the side of a passing frighter works too
Whatever grinds your gristle. (What in heavens name does that mean you stupid rodent). Ah gee, it's Monday evening and I've been off to the local for a beer or ten and the London Times cryptic crossword. If I actually make it through this post , ignore anything I say thereafter as the rambling of a troubled mind. Have you ever done the Times Xword ? No bloody wonder I have a troubled mind.

Old 05-07-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
OK. We read he has excellent vision: "I am repairing a mast top pulley. The pin that sheaves roll on was slipping out. Like a hawk, I spotted it from the deck and immediately went after it with a hammer..")
We read also: "Smashing into ships while asleep? A collision avoidance radar system will sound a beep when a ship enters his vicinity.
Sleeping through that beep? No chance. Stowe is so sensitive to the smallest changes on his boat that even the slightest shift in wind direction would cause him to awaken."

This is what might have happen:
They are both down below ...
The radar goes Bip, Bip Bip
Reid: Dear, I must stop now, .. Eee .. ear, The ship is coming....
Soanya: Oooh, Oooh, I don't care if a ship is coming, do not stop now, Ohh, becaue I am coming ... ... Ohh, Ohh,
Old 05-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
To survive for 1,000 days without a stop on terra firma, he'll need provisions of ark-like proportions. He'll have 1,400 gallons of water stored in four separate tanks built beneath the floorboards of the living quarters in the center of the boat, and he'll replenish that supply by putting out a large tarp to catch all the water he can when it rains.
Freshly grown alfalfa sprouts will be the key to Stowe's diet

To feed his 140-horsepower Detroit Diesel motor, he'll fill 'er up to the tune of 500 gallons of diesel fuel. A ton of coal and a ton of wood, to enable the burning of the coal, will be brought aboard for heating and cooking purposes. He'll also be loading up on 500 pounds each of pasta, rice and oats, several hundred pounds of dried fruit and vegetables and 15 cases of peanut butter.
Hmm... 1400 gallons of water = 11,200 lbs. approximately. 500 gallons of diesel = 4,000 lbs. 4,000 lbs of coal and wood, and 1,500 lbs. of pasta, rice and oats. 300 lbs. of dried fruit and 720 lbs. of Peanut Butter (15 cases, 24 jars per case, 32 oz. per jar). That's 21,720 lbs of food, water and fuel. I haven't seen specs for his 70' boat, but that's still a lot of weight for even a 70' boat... and doesn't even count the other food stores that he must have.

Hasn't he heard of a water maker? Granted, they're not completely reliable, but having one aboard would make more sense than being dependent on catching rain IMHO. Unless his tanks are a hell of a lot better than the ones on most boats, I can see the water supply going bad before he has a chance to use 1400 gallons.

edit:
Apparently, they do have a RO watermaker aboard...but how will they power it?? Relying solely on solar power to keep the battery banks charged up is probably wishful thinking, unless his solar array is bigger than the one on CruisingDad's boat. I didn't see any massive solar panel arrays in any of the photos of the boat, and didn't see any mention of hydro or wind generators.

Also, he's going to be at sea for 1000 days... he has 4000 lbs. of cooking/heating fuel. Does he honestly think he can make do with only 4 lbs. of fuel a day??? Sounds a bit low to me. While it might be sufficient in the warmer climates, I doubt it is enough in the cooler latitudes which he will eventually get to, unless he plans on just circling the tropics for two-and-a-half years.

1.5 lbs. of uncooked rice, oats and pasta per day... that's a lot of food IMHO... A 12 oz. box of pasta feeds eight people or more. I also hope he stocked up on vitamins... scurvy and malnutrition are still going to be problems he'll face..and it doesn't sound like he's got all that much in the way of fresh or dried fruits or vegetables... you can't survive on just pasta, rice and oats for 1000 days... Unless they plan on fishing a lot, getting sufficient protein is also going to be a problem. Automated fish traps aren't really an ideal solution, especially in the middle of the ocean.

I'm surprised to see that a very large quantity of beans wasn't listed among the provisions. Beans are one of the few good sources of protein in the vegetable world... and dried beans keep for a long, long time. Also, I hope he's got a lot of salt, pepper and other spices and herbs tucked away inside the boat. Otherwise, the menu is going to suck.

His website/blog is awfully commercialized... You too can be an admiral for a mere $500-1000 donation. Personally, I see this as a fairly selfish and self-aggrandizing way to get attention. I don't see it serving any real purpose other than indulging this man's ego.

Of course, at the rate they're going, I doubt that they'll make it 1000 days at sea.... colliding with something before you've been out a month is really not a good sign of you ability to succeed at making it 1000 days at sea without serious mishap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-07-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-07-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Sailingdog

I tell you, its capricorn one.

QUOTE ' What kind of computer and net connection do you have? How do you generate electricity?
A. We don't have internet access. We send email via data packets over satellite. Our main form of harnessing energy is solar panels, but we also have 3 back-up generators that work with the motion of the sailing boat. See our earlier blogs from January and February to learn more.
END QUOTE

do you have any idea what he means by " motion generators" .

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 05-07-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-07-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
This whole thing, in my book, is still a lot of bulshit, propaganda, and Andropause symptoms, (from him) together with a lack of objective, no sense of future and premature childish impulses (from her).

This is not going to end well, and I am already starting to fell sorry for the girl and the way she is waisting her youth...as for him...screw him....I don't give a rat's ass for the crap he claims as "previous experience"...

This is a second meaning stunt...if only I could find what is his real objective.....