Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinRI View Post
Here's the parody site. I would advise caution, however, in opening the links to Mr. Stowe's music, videos, etc..., because they are authentic.

http://1000daysofhell.blogspot.com/
Warning Warning Will Robinson. !!

Do not open any of the music files and think long and hard before looking at the video. That way lies madness. Void Bloody Ho indeed !!

Actually, I knew a bloke some years back of similar ilk. He was an excellent sailor with the most amazing ability to attract people to his cause. Used them up and spat them out. His shennanigans nearly got two people killed. Not pretty yet he was more than capable of achieving a result.

Whether Reid Stowe and Soanya get the job done is yet to be seen but succeed or fail he worries me. Anyone who can eats bean sprouts on a daily basis is suspect in my book.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 10-02-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2007
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sailaway,
I was pretty tipsy that night I wrote this,
I had just broke up with my boyfriend, but we got back together a couple of weeks ago.
I am liable to say just about anything under the influence of a half a bottle of merlot!!
NE whooooo
yeah, I've missed being here bunches!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
Angel my darlin',

Say what?

ps
welcome back!
Old 10-02-2007

GGman is on a distinguished road
hope all goes well and she doesn't try to ground ya... all the best
Old 10-04-2007

Swan70 is on a distinguished road
Want a 23 year old girl. Reid has an easy way, get rid of your wife & kid. (his first wife, not his second). Set up a Myspace account. Write "Divorced, I don't want any kids" and wait Other bloggers refer to him as a creepy old man, but hey, he's got Sonya & she's trapped. I saw a movie where a guy did that with a girl in a cabin in the woods. I guess doing it in a boat named after your mother makes it okay. Yeah, maybe he is a creepy old man.

Last edited by Swan70; 10-04-2007 at 08:02 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 10-04-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan70 View Post
Want a 23 year old girl. Reid has an easy way, get rid of your wife & kid. (his first wife, not his second). Set up a Myspace account. Write "Divorced, I don't want any kids" and wait Other bloggers refer to him as a creepy old man, but hey, he's got Sonya & she's trapped. I saw a movie where a guy did that with a girl in a cabin in the woods. I guess doing it in a boat named after your mother makes it okay. Yeah, maybe he is a creepy old man.
Creepy is about right. He does not look a well boy, physically that is. I'm not going into his mental state cos I have no idea what that is except that he appears a touch loopy. Probably just a wee bit whacko hippy and somewhat drug fecked. The various vids, in particular the dreaded "Void Ho" do suggest he's a tad strange at best.

Overall, you'd have to guess they won't make it if only because of lack of preparation and diet.

It does beggar belief that anyone would head off on a three year voyage in a boat that had not been antifouled for some years. To date they don't so much appear to be sailing as drifting yet one has to admit that they have travelled a fair distance. Is that boat really fit for a voyage into the Southern Ocean ? We'll see I guess but personally it seems doubtful.

As for their diet , while they may be able to get through, say, a quarter of the voyage one wonders what kind of physical shape they will be in come day 800.

In the main I reckon his supporters are split between well meaning but ignorant of what was required and completely whacko. You've been part of the SA thread on this so I figure you know what I mean.

On the other hand some of his detractors are at least to a certain extent seemingly spurred on by their own personal dislike of the fella. Whether their criticism is justified or not I have no idea but he does manage to polarise , don't he ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-05-2007

whroeder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspirate View Post
Holy fountain of youth... that dude is 55? not to mention with a 70' schooner and a 23 year old girlfriend? life must be good. I wish them well.
Your only as young as the woman you feel.
Old 10-05-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
If the girl saw that "Void Ho" video before she signed on, she's just as loony as he is.
Old 10-05-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Hey I'm 66, and with a 23 y.o. girl the mind is willing... not to sure about the bod though.
So any ladies out there that wants a desirable old man here I am.
The only requirements are to be human and foregiving. Especially the latter part! But then again I notice that the older men with younger women have ultra large bank accounts. Something that I don't really have.
Old 10-05-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
But then again I notice that the older men with younger women have ultra large bank accounts. Something that I don't really have.
I have a really large bank balance. They called again today wanting to know when I will start paying it off...
Old 10-07-2007

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
Sorry, I gave up on getting through this thread from start to finish at about page 28 (Piker, I know)

There has been much made of how he could hit a running container ship and only bend the bowsprit and how do you get hit by one anyway...type posts.

two things, the damn great things are almost silent until they are really loud..and then they are already too close. Sailboats live in a surpirising amount of noise, you just blank it out and call it peaceful silence...but a freighter makes almost no noise that is not read by your mind as "situation normal" from the front or even front quarter. They can be heard from the aft quarter or directly astern for about 200 meters....

One time (this was always going to lead to a story) We had six people up on deck at 11pm, were keeping a good and attentive watch between us (which means we were sight seeing and having a good conversation, but people were looking out in all directions to do it), the sea was a bit rolly but the sky was marvelously clear and we got that thing of Milky Way stars atop the horizon blazing with a city's lights...And then a ruddy big freighter went past (I think it was a car carrier) and we all had a pucker moment because nobody saw it coming. It got to about 350-400meters away, cut across our course at about 18+ knots and gave us a huge wake to bounce over (The sandwitches on deck got wet).
Everyone talked about how that could have happened for the rest of the trip....But it definately happened.

As to how could only the bowsprit get damaged...Ships make WINDSHADOWS, and eddies and currents. either the boat attempted to steer around to dodge the ship and then got caught out by the wind getting blocked and got sucked back around and had the ship's side drag against the bowsprit for a moment or they plowed straight into the side of a moving container ship while asleep below-decks...but they would have lost power as soon as the ship blocked their wind, would have crashed past the bow-wave on momentum and would have had very little forward way left by the time they actually hit the side and bounced back, the side waves pushing out would then have been sufficient to push the boat back away a little.

I don't recommend this as a sport in its own right, but I do no see any inconsistencies...

We have an idiot here in Melbourne that is famous for running into the Spirit Of Tasmania (A huge passneger and vehicle ferry that runs as regular as clockwork and is bright red to boot) on board his Adams12 (I think) during a Saturday afternoon race in perfect weather conditions. Interestingly enough, someone managed to get the photos of the impact as it was happeneing. he hit just in the spot where a sign on the hull had an X and the words "PUSH HERE" for tugs. We figure he was trying to nudge it out of the way so he had a shorter leg to finish the race.
Despite what lots of poeple say "should have" happened, he did not get rolled and destroyred by the bow wave, he did not get sucked under by the props...etc...he just went bang and crunch and palpably embarrassed against the side of the ship.

Regardless of the rest of what is going on aboard the Ship Of Fools, I have no real problem with the freighter accident, and the way it only managed to bend a fairly sturdy steel bowsprit (that is welded into the general frame of the boat, so is tougher then most people think, when they think "bowsprit". It is built not so much as a spar but as a battering ram or extended bow.

Sasha

P.S If I had to d thisina 70foot boat whee weight consideratios have obviously been thrown out the window, I would bring cow..or mayb sveral goat, they ould be good for more then one meal...actualy,I think breeing population of guinea pigs.They don't taste bad once you get used to it, and hey would be handy for eating the sprouts!

Oh yeah, there were a bunch of experimental geneators made for boats in the '70s that used pendulums to capture and even deaden the rocking motion of a boat in waves and to convert that to rotary energy for driving a generator. Nothing ever came of it commercially, but you can still find some of the plans and blueprints on-line. I would not put it past this guy to have made some of these or to have salvaged one from some fellow garage hippy.

Last edited by Sasha_V; 10-07-2007 at 12:23 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.