Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
So Reid is sailing around the world for nearly three years in a state-registered boat???

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Free...yes you can document a boat if you are a US citizen. The boat has NOT been documented either as the "Anne" or in its' previous incarnation as Tantra since it was built in NC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dawg...we don't know if it is registered anywhere...but we DO know it isn't documented. Actually...if you're not pulling in anywhere...why document? Especially with a home built boat...initial documentation might not be a trivial exercise.
Old 02-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... given some of the other facts that have come out about Reid, it wouldn't surprise me if he failed to register or document his boat.
Quote:
Dawg...we don't know if it is registered anywhere...but we DO know it isn't documented. Actually...if you're not pulling in anywhere...why document? Especially with a home built boat...initial documentation might not be a trivial exercise.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-25-2008
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
Even money says he turns off his tracking device and finds a nice secluded island in the South Pacific.

Commodore, OPBYC
Old 02-25-2008
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Kacper and 'Dodger

Sorry to say this, but this guy set himself up by being a publicity hound, similar to 'David the Tin-Foil Sailor'. A bad idea is a bad idea, regardless of how it may 'challenge the human spirit' or other such claptrap. Spare me the drivel, there's lots of guys just sailing around the world with out the 'made-for-the-internet' aspect. Taking a complete noob out for 1000 days or trying to sail around the world in a tin can is just dumb, regardless of how many wide-eyed dreamers find it 'romantic'.

(oooh, I see someone's in a bad mood today....)

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 02-25-2008
Telstar 28

Just cause your in a bad mood doesn't make the post any less true...might have affected the wording a bit...but you were nicer about it that I probably would have been, even in a good mood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendMike View Post
Kacper and 'Dodger

Sorry to say this, but this guy set himself up by being a publicity hound, similar to 'David the Tin-Foil Sailor'. A bad idea is a bad idea, regardless of how it may 'challenge the human spirit' or other such claptrap. Spare me the drivel, there's lots of guys just sailing around the world with out the 'made-for-the-internet' aspect. Taking a complete noob out for 1000 days or trying to sail around the world in a tin can is just dumb, regardless of how many wide-eyed dreamers find it 'romantic'.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 02-25-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:

Cam,
I'm not sure about the documentation or lack thereof. Certainly she is not a US registered ship but while I can't be bothered wading through the chaff that is the SA thread on this, from memory the Anne (aka Tantric Schooner) was registered somewhere in the Carribean or at least carries a Carribean home port on her stern. (gee that must weight her down.... )

Have to say through gritted teeth, not liking to be completely arse about face, that RS made damn good time from Rottnest to south of Cape Leuwin. I was expecting that the prevailing winds in that part of the world would have made it pretty difficult for him to make his southing. I guess he picked up a nice northerly.

There have been a couple of comments on SA as to whether he is capable of making it around Cape Horn and RS himself in one of those audio files talks about how he is keen to get into lower and warmer lattitudes. What surprises me about those comments is that he still has to get across the Great Australian Bight and below Tasmania. That's a pretty nasty area in itself. ask Tony Bullimore. If he can make it through there then, hey, all bets are off, he can make it anywhere. (hmm I can feel a song coming on )

RS is now going to be alone on that boat for the next two and a bit years. Jon Sanders , the guy who was part of the 'rescue' mission , did a triple circumnavigation non stop that lasted just under two years so we know it can be done. The questions in RS's case is can the boat and it's equipment hold up and is RS capable of surviving the mental challenge or will he simple go stark raving mad. Let's face it, there are not that many people who can live by themselves and have no communication with the outside world other than the odd radio link for over two years. Sanders did it in an S & S 39 especially fitted out for the voyage and not quite the same equipment as the Cammemboat.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-25-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
It could be one of the female Hovians fans - is currently desperately awaiting approval to be airlifted in as a replacement....hence Reid could be the sponsor of the top two - women longest at sea without being in sight of land....

If Oprah picks up the story....anything from here on in could be possible...after all there are women that love the "dating a prison inmate (scott peterson for example)...

But none the less - kinda like as surmised on SA - kinda not interesting enough now with just Reid- considering all things...Kinda like watching Knight Rider (Comeback II) and all it has is a car driving around...and supporting cast...(So what did you think of the show Denby?)

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Last edited by artbyjody; 02-25-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-25-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
TDW...yes. Despite the sleaziness of the captain...he does seem to be fairly experienced and competent (excepting that minor error with the freighter!) and does not seem to be bothered much about anything that happens at sea. I believe the mission will fail either because the boat stuff will just keep breaking to the point that it is impossible to go on...or Reid will lose it mentally. I do not think he can do it alone for more than two years...but the hull seems to be able to take a pretty good beating. I'll go on record and say I don't expect this will last another 6 months unless he just stops sailing and lies ahull somewhere in the tropics.
That is an interesting side note about Sanders...quite an achievement! And you are right...Reid will be tested a lot sooner than Cape Horn!

EDIT...further on the registry. Several pictures of Anne show Antigua/BWI as home port...but the Coast Guard report of the collision says Anne of New York. Who knows...I don't recall any British Ensigns flying...but an offshore LLC and registration would be one way of protecting her from "creditors" like the government/child support services!

EditEdit...no matter that Soanya's gone...Reid still has plenty of company on board. Here's todays post:
All's well on the good ship Anne. Soanya's spirit is still on board, in our bed or perched on the gimbaled pilot house bunk watching out the windows. Things she had to leave behind are everywhere. Even before she left through out the voyage the spirits of great sailors like Sir Peter Blake were looking over my shoulders saying things like," Humph, Reid, you can do better. You have to be stronger than that to sail a boat like this by yourself". Captain Cook dissed me. Sir Chichester said,"Reid, lets have a sip of gin. Maybe things will go better." I needed more support and who should come out of deep retirement wondering where his sword and arrows were, but Ulysses.He was feeling a little testy and said," Reid, I am here, have no fear. This is The New Voyage of Ulysses." Then I put on The Best of The Doors, Break On Through To The Otherside and turned it up real loud. Then I got to work
Old 02-25-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendMike View Post
Kacper and 'Dodger

Lovely to see another grumpy old curmudgeon in residence. Takes the heat of me. So no need to apologise for being in a bad mood, every cloud and all that, you've made me a happy widdle wombat. Now doesn't that cheer you up immensely ?

Not sure about saying nice things about a man of the cloth but then again I'm not an alter boy so I might be safe.

BTW, agree totally with your basic sentiments but then again if it was your boat and your dream and you could get a bunch of brain dead morons to pay the bills ??? (I'm talking RS here, at least , the Cammemboat is vaguely seaworthy and he has experience.) I know he is a complete dick and all that
but you have to admire his cheek.

ps - loved Christopher Lloyds character in Taxi, great series.

pps - Cam, maybe he is already stark raving mad.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 02-25-2008 at 09:02 PM.