Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007
Booga Booga Member

yohosail is on a distinguished road
Good on ya Jeff, don't let these fartlickers waste your blog space with their childish non issue posts. Thick skinned is one thing, being a dumbass to a new dude is uncool.

Yep, never too late to learn sailing. I really started when I was 29, bought a little folkboat and never really knew anything about owning your own boat except that I wanted one. Never looked back. Best way to learn is just what you're doing - website and talk to people. You'll find that you don't have to have a lot of money to sail, you can join race clubs and sail as "rail meat" (term for crew) and learn a lot in a short amount of time. There are the rich sailors and there are also the real sailors. These are the people that live aboard their vessels. They will tell you more about a boat than you can imagine. One of the best places to learn about the mechanics of a boat is to wonder around a haul out yard and talk to people there. Just looking at a boat hauled out of the water and chatting with the owner reveals an extraordinary amount. Talking to people at the dock or haul out will open up a wealth of books, personal experience, stories, advice etc.

I found that once I had a boat, cause non of my friends did, that a whole new world opened up. Get ready for the adventure of a lifetime, sailing is something you can do till you're 80 if you wanted to. You don't have to have a lot of money to learn, I dont and I learnt almost everything I needed from books, from other sailors taking me out on my boat etc.

Check out this cool little book called "twenty small boats to take you anywhere" I think it is by John Vigor, don't quote me.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2007

longislandsound is on a distinguished road
Contacted a few recommended sites, will be checking next weekend.

Thank you guys.
Old 05-01-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
LIS, that is good..now go to school and learn that my boat is not FAT!!!!OK??

Its beamy!! Beamy!!

Cam's fat....
Old 05-01-2007

rheaton is on a distinguished road
You can also take courses at US Power Squadron United States Power Squadrons® [Boating Education: Public Classes + Member Courses = Safe Boating]. They offer a safety couse which outlines basics about boats, regulations, navigation, and safety. Very reasonably priced and offered locally. Best of luck.