Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb
Noise from outside the boat is like "white" noise, noise from the boat itself attracts your attention when it's your responsibility, easier to ignore when you are "crew".
Very true... I keep the halyards tied off a good distance from the mast whenever possible. Hate the noise of the halyards slapping... and one of my neighbor's doesn't... and some nights I'm tempted to go over and remove his halyards for him...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2007
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
I cant stand the halyards slapping the mast. Worse yet is the lose PVC pipe in my mast that makes a pretty nasty noise. Try and guess how hard it is to fish a peice of line around 1-1/2'' PVC though an opening in the mast for a halyard to run through.
Old 04-23-2007

I33 is on a distinguished road
I'm guilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Very true... I keep the halyards tied off a good distance from the mast whenever possible. Hate the noise of the halyards slapping... and one of my neighbor's doesn't... and some nights I'm tempted to go over and remove his halyards for him...
Yeah, one of my neighbors can't figure out how those bungees got attached to his halyard to pull it away from the mast!
Old 04-23-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
Cool - if there is transient noise I'll be okay - I'll go down Friday night then - that way a lot of questions I have on rigging, navigation, etc. can be answered as we're hanging out the first night. Too bad it wasn't this weekend with the great weather finally.

The trip is leaving from Rock Hall, MD (just north of Annapolis) - long range weather report is:

Fri nite: cloudy low of 51
Saturday: mostly cloudy high of 68 low of 50
Sunday: partly cloudy high 69 low 55

Low winds all weekend which isn't good though, but it looks like decent weather as of now.

Now the only other concern I have - and you guys are most likely gonna rip me a new one, so I'll prepare myself - my cat - I've never left my cat alone for more than 36 hrs and I just moved into a new place. Sounds stupid, but I take her camping with me rather than leave her alone - okay, I'll shut up now.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2007

stonecutter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to stonecutter
By arriving the night before you get to interact with the others and see if there any problems that could terminate the cruise. This way you or someone else has a chance to go home without taking a bus from a different harbour. Or if your realy bad "walk the Plank" and swim for it.
Old 04-23-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Kernix,
A very minor point, but considering there will be 6 strangers trying to sleep on a 34 footer, arriving early may also provide a better chance of calling dibbs on a decent berth. Last guy usually gets crap, like the short & narrow settee by the head, or reefer.

Leave the cat at home, relax and enjoy the weekend. BTW, I also have tinnitus - but more of a stereophonic hissss than ringing. I think I'd go crazy if things sudenly went silent.
Old 04-23-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
Kernix,
A very minor point, but considering there will be 6 strangers trying to sleep on a 34 footer, arriving early may also provide a better chance of calling dibbs on a decent berth. Last guy usually gets crap, like the short & narrow settee by the head, or reefer.

Leave the cat at home, relax and enjoy the weekend. BTW, I also have tinnitus - but more of a stereophonic hissss than ringing. I think I'd go crazy if things sudenly went silent.
5 strangers - 6 total - I can't get out of work until 5:00 or so - if I get the worst spot, so be it - I'm the rookie anyway.

The cat has me p-whipped no pun intended - just her being lonely in a new place - I have to learn to let go.

Yeah, extreme quiet kills me
Old 04-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Kernix-

Time to take Kitty to a kennel... She won't like being on a boat with five strangers... and I'm sure they don't want to spend the weekend with a cat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-23-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Kennel? for a cat? uh-uh, fill the food and water bowls, make sure the litter box is clean before you leave and a cat's good for a week or more. That's why cat are better

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 04-23-2007
Telstar 28

My favorite cat left alone story is one my friend told me when he took his then fiancée out for the weekend... he had been working on his computer, upgrading most of the components, and left the case partially open. Apparently, his cat decided to piss all over the interior of the computer... so when he plugged it in and turned it on... some really fragrant smoke and sparks came out of it... needless to say, it was all trashed...

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.