Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007

burlesque is on a distinguished road
I kept my boat on a mooring buoy for years. Best place for it. I suggest you use chain, shackled and moused. You can put a loop in the other end using a shackle and cover the loop in plastic tubing to save your decks. run the chain over the roller and put the pin in to stop it jumping out. If you want to double up with rope, use 3 strand nylon with a thimble and shackle to the buoy and lots of anti-chafe. I prefer a plain end just cleated in the normal way, as it can be released under load. Once you 'get to know' your buoy, you can judge if you need rope for shock absorption - chances are, in deep water, there will be plenty of play in it's own chain. I would say that the last picture in Halekai 36's post shows the pendant far too long, she will sail all around it in a blow.
Another couple of tips: regularly scrub the buoy, as at times it will be pulled hard alongside and you don't want barnacles etc scratching your gelcoat. If it is the type with a metal ring on top, cut an old (small) fender in half, cut a hole in the end and thread your pendant through the hole. Then use the fender to cover the ring - can save a lot of damage. Don't forget one of the easiest ways to pick up a mooring buoy is to lasso it with a loop of (non floating!) rope, pull yourself up to the buoy and make fast at your leisure. Also, by walking the buoy alongside you can leave under sail in just about any direction. No worry with springs, fenders, tricky docking maneuvers etc. It's the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're going to use chain to attach your boat to the mooring ball, you best have a very good, sturdy, and well secured mooring bitt. Otherwise, the shock loading that can occur can rip the chain off the boat. While nylon lines have the risk of chafing through, they do absorb a lot of the shockloading.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-25-2007

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
hard to see that in your post although the eyes did not look loose in between the binding. just should have clarified at the start.
Old 04-25-2007

burlesque is on a distinguished road
Kept my boat on a mooring buoy for years - best place, no springs and fenders or tricky docking maneuvers. I used chain, shackled and moused to the buoy, with a plastic covered loop in the other end made with a shackle. My second line was 3 strand nylon with a thimble, shackled to the buoy. Lots of anti-chafe. I prefer a plain end, cleated in the normal way as it can be released under load. The chain should be led over the bow roller with the pin inserted to stop it jumping out. I believe the last picture in halekai36's post shows the pendant far too long: she must sail around all over the place in a blow. Depending on how the buoy is attached to the bottom and the depth of water, there is likely to be enough play in the system to obviate the need for shock absorption.
A couple of tips: scrub the buoy regularly as,at times, it will lie hard alongside and you don't want barnacles etc. scratching your gelcoat. Also, if it is the type with a ring on the top, get an old fender, cut it in half and cut a hole in the end. Thread the pendant through the hole and use the fender to cover the ring - can save a lot of damage.
If you are not used to a mooring buoy, remember one of the easiest ways to pick it up (can be accomplished by granny or from the cockpit) is to lasso it with a loop of (non floating) line, haul yourself in and make fast at your leisure. Also, by walking the buoy alongside, you can leave under sail in almost any direction. Who needs a slip?
Old 09-02-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quick question about pennant size... i've searched for another guide but must be typing in the wrong keywords.

Our boat displaces almost 6000 lbs... what diameter line should i be using for the pennants? I made a mistake and ordered 1" line based on some online quick guide and wow was that overkill!!!

So what size? 1/2" 15' OR 3/4" 15"?????

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Joel-

I'd go with a 5/8" mooring pennant... I think 3/4" is a bit overkill and 1/2" too light.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-03-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks SD... i thought that was going to be the answer.

Old 09-03-2008
Telstar 28

My thoughts on mooring pedant lines is that they should be close to the size of the anchor rode you're generally using... unless you're using an unusually light anchor rode. I've seen 15000 lb., 31' power boats anchored out on 1/2" line and think that they're idiots... but that's just me. I'd imagine they use the same 1/2" lines to tie up to a mooring ball.

BTW, if I'm tying up to a mooring for a short period of time, I will often use a lighter line...like a 1/2" dockline...but if I'm going to be leaving the boat on the mooring, I'll dig out the 5/8" stuff.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 09-03-2008
1987 Pearson 27

I decided to go with 3/4"... and here's why: I talked to my neighbor whose mooring we used on occasion until we got ours installed. He said he had 3/4" which worked great for our chocks and cleats... so since i've used 3/4" before (unknowingly) then i know it will work for us. I figured a heavier line can't hurt and the mooring is used for storms only so heavier is better. He said 5/8" would be fine too but he preferred 3/4".

Man... when i got that 1" pennant in the mail i thought i was ready to moor a ferry with that sucker!

I'm returning it for this instead: Double Braid Mooring Pennant

Old 09-03-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel73 View Post
I decided to go with 3/4"... and here's why: I talked to my neighbor whose mooring we used on occasion until we got ours installed. He said he had 3/4" which worked great for our chocks and cleats... so since i've used 3/4" before (unknowingly) then i know it will work for us. I figured a heavier line can't hurt and the mooring is used for storms only so heavier is better. He said 5/8" would be fine too but he preferred 3/4".

Man... when i got that 1" pennant in the mail i thought i was ready to moor a ferry with that sucker!

I'm returning it for this instead: Double Braid Mooring Pennant
Joel,

The same thing is cheaper at Hamilton Marine

3/4 X 15 pendant

I really do feel the Yale Polydyne pendants with stainless thimble are well worth it though!

I replace every two, regardless, but I'm overly anal, and the one I just took off could probably go another three at least! There is NO wear on the thimble and NO corrosion between the galvanized shackle and stainless. Galvy thimbles wear out well before the pendant will.

3/4 X 16 Yale Polydyne

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.