Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Bayfield 32C Survey Results :)

Hey guys,...

Well, we had the survey done yesterday on the boat we've been in love with. To updated you, here it is again:

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

Here's how it went down.

1st. I wasn't really happy with the surveyour. Paul Dupre. He greeted me very ackwardly and went about his business without telling me anything he was doing. I felt practically ignored the whole time

I figured this was just the type of person he was(inward), because he still seemed like a good surveyour, he was looking at every inch of the boat and making lots of notes.

In the end he gave us a summary of everything that needed looking after,
but he talked quite quickly, used lots of technical terms... ie: engine water lift??. And didn't really clarify things.

Over all, the things he said were minor. A couple of throughull hoses for salt water intake for the head and galley needed to be replaced(the galley one will not be used anyway, except maybe for the watermaker we plan to install)

Also the battery straps had to be replaced, as they are made of stainless steel Big no no.

That's all.

The rest of the boat is in great condition. He said hes never seen a Bayfield in this superb condition.

Now, whether Im happy with this 100% or not? Well, not really. When I asked him if he thought what we were paying for the boat was a good price he said yes, but he didn't seem to be applied to that answer more than like a casual scratch of an itch on his head.... like we were suppose to figure it out on our own.

So, I was slightly pissed off with the survey, but, more or less satisfied the boat was in great condition

2nd ( this should be first)

The haulout was great. The hull is in amazing condition. No cracks, no blisters, nothing. The brass prop has no damage, so the zincs held up. Prop zinc had to be replaced which the broker paid $12 for on the spot.

3rd.

We were about to go to the sea trial, when the broker went off to have a quick lunch before hand... I decided to check that the furlers worked at the dock... and whadya know

We couldnt get the headsail unfurled(which turned out to be a 110% Genoa high foot)

The FURLEX system was jammed, I looked inside, it was all messed up in there like hell, someone really messed it up last time it was furled. Secondly, the system was not put together properly, and a screw was out of placce and tilting the whole feeder on an angle.

Needless to say, we did not go on the sea trial as we couldnt get the Genoa unfurled.

The broker is fixing the headsail furler on his expense, and we are going on the sea trial tomorrow.

The engine survey is May 1st.

F#!! ... I don't own the boat and already it has cost me about $1000 in fees LOL!

Summary...

I am still in love with the boat, and she appears in great condition. Will find out how she sails tomorrow.

Although, I am not as thrilled with the cutter rig anymore. We got the Genoa unfurled 30% of the way, and already, when trying to swtich the sail to the other side it was a real pain in the ass.. but this was at the dock, with no wind, so we'll see how it works at sea.

Kacper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Water lift technical? That is mechanical. You had better get used to it, that's the first BOATUNIT, but not the last.
Old 04-25-2007

Yes I was just not familiar that the engine water-lift.
Old 04-25-2007

capttb is on a distinguished road
So did he say that the water lift muffler needed replacement ? The muffler is probably only half a boat buck ($500) but while your there might as well do the hoses etc. and could be enough to be a bargaining point. Your surveyor should give you a detailed written report PDQ, they are usually pretty quick about it. But in the meantime at least talk to him and nail down this point. Secondly, they can't usually get too specific about telling you if you should buy or if he likes the price, pretty slippery slope there. About all they can honestly say is something like "I see no reason to not buy this boat provided yada, yada, yada." Good Luck
Old 04-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Kacper-

Congratulations on the survey. The prop had better be bronze, not brass. Brass is not suitable for use on boats, especially in salt water.

Waterlift is a term referring to the engine's exhaust system. Be aware, that trying to start an engine with a waterlift muffler for an extended period of time can flood the engine with water, and cause major damage.

Something is definitely wrong with the Furlex, since they're relatively bulletproof.

Did the surveyor give you a comprehensive written report?

I would re-think the saltwater faucet for the galley sink. A saltwater faucet can really save fresh water on a long passage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-25-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Great news Kacper ! i think you'll figure the double headsail thing out quickly. In the meantime - you might want to beat your broker up a little bit -see if you can't get a couple of grand knocked off for the things you have to fix...if not - well you're getting a good boat and the money's not really a big deal if you're happy. Pointy end forward !
Old 04-25-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Good news, Kacper.

Sorry to hear you were not so pleased with the surveyor - It makes a difference if you feel he has been helpful and informative... Not someone I'd use based on what you've observed.

Good luck on your sea trial - hope you've got good wetgear (of course you do... you're on the Wet Coast)
Old 04-26-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
That's an excellent result for you Kac...hopefully a smooth trial and you'll be home "free"....that's the last time free will be used in the same sentence as sailboat! (G)

Good lesson on the surveyor for future "customers". Ask...."I am new to sailboats and would like to tag along with you and have you explain what you are doing and seeing as you go. Do you have a problem with that?"
Old 04-26-2007

Thanks guys

Oops, lol, yes, the prop is bronze, not brass Was thinking one thing but typed the other.

SD - can you tell me more about the water-lift muffler thing? Why is it called a water-lift muffler and why can the engine flood if I keep starting it with a water-lift muffler(unless you made a typo and meant "without") ?

Kacper
Old 04-26-2007

sailh34 is on a distinguished road
Normally, as part of a survey, I thought that an estimated value was placed on the boat. It was my impression that this was done so that you can submit this to the insurance companies and mortgage companies as justification for the boats value. I have used two different surveyors and they both included an estimated value in the final report. I would ask if this was going to be part of the final report (for insurance purposes, etc).

Also, if you are concerned about value of the boat, you can check online at N.A.D.A. Official Used Car Guide Company and BUC.com – boats for sale, boat values, yacht charters (free but you have to register). Our last surveyor used buc , but it was more comprehensive than the free internet account. Others here will have to speak to the accuracy of these listed values, and how to determine your boats condition, etc. The buc value seemed pretty close to what we paid for our boat though.

If you look up the buc value for a 1983 Bayfield, then it is a good amount less than the listed price on that yachtworld link you attached. That could be a function of there not being a large base of numbers to establish this or some other factor. It could mean that they are asking too much as well (may be difficult to resell in the future without a loss) - I would research it a little more. Check all Bayfield 32's listed on Yachtworld currently and you may draw the same conclusion. When all is said and done though, the value of the boat is what you are willing to pay for it and how much you want it - that is what is most important - that you are happy with it in the end.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.