Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I would dissagree to a point.

WHen you are out there and all alone, well beyond any timely rescue, you have to feel secure in your boat. You have to feel that your boat will take whatever the sea throws at you (within reason). The smallest little uncertainty drives you crazy offshore and will make you a nervous wreck (in my experience). If you do not feel completely certain and secure in this boat (whether the feeling is sound or not), do not buy it or it will always be the itch you cannot scratch. Again, whether that feeling is sound or not is irrelevant... YOU MUST MENTALLY FEEL SECURE, or walk.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad

WHen you are out there and all alone, well beyond any timely rescue, you have to feel secure in your boat. You have to feel that your boat will take whatever the sea throws at you (within reason). The smallest little uncertainty drives you crazy offshore and will make you a nervous wreck (in my experience). If you do not feel completely certain and secure in this boat (whether the feeling is sound or not), do not buy it or it will always be the itch you cannot scratch. Again, whether that feeling is sound or not is irrelevant... YOU MUST MENTALLY FEEL SECURE, or walk.

- CD
Thus I buy a Catalina.... and contradict myself
Old 05-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I agree with CD. You have to have complete confidence in your boat when you're out there in the thick of a storm, waiting it out. Either buy the boat and get to know it inside and out and learn its weakpoints and fix them so that you're confident about it... or pass on buying it. Owning a boat you're not sure of is a bad thing.

Quote:

- CD

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-01-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Ahhh I like it when we all start repeating what was said before....

Kac, I agree with SD, that agrees with CD, that agrees with me, that agree with others.... but read this carefully:

Quote:

- CD
and this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
I agree with CD. You have to have complete confidence in your boat when you're out there in the thick of a storm, waiting it out. Either buy the boat and get to know it inside and out and learn its weakpoints and fix them so that you're confident about it... or pass on buying it. Owning a boat you're not sure of is a bad thing.
but again...I saw someone repating himself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulietta
Kac,

As it is obvious, that's not my type of boat, for several reasons.

I think (just personally) you are being driven by "looks" love, and "need a boat pronto" disease, to satisfy "inner urges" for a boat, to chase your lets go away crusing dream. Nothing wrong with it.....

I think you should go on your Atlantic ride, learn to sail properly, get experience, I mean experience on a boat, out in the ocean....learn things you still need to learn.....then.... buy your boat, that you decide on...

I mean if you don't know the answer to your question, at this point, maybe its too early to get into those weird looking boats, maybe you should get a simpler design boat.

Just look at the design of the thing, all by yourself, don't get opinions...you look at it......I don't know the boat, but from looking at photos, seems a weak design...I can see that bow hitting a wave going down and the pressure on the board breaking it...

Get on the Ocean, learn, and then decide by yourself.....
and better...I can also repeat what you said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacper
Hi guys,

thank you for the tips on the bobstay and bowsprit fittings and supports. I am taking another look at it today and will probably make my decision today.

Giu - thank you for the advice, I think you may be right on all accounts I have been emotionally driven by the whole thing the whole time... but... then agian, who isn't emotional about sailing? lol

Going off on this trip would probably be the wiser choice. Especially that I wont be here for a month to look after the boat.

It would be like getting married while drunk then going off to war and coming home realizing what you've done !

Just a thought......
Old 05-01-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Well, I think Giu is trying to repeat what I said which was what he said, which SD said that I said, which was said by... wait? Who started this damned thing. The truth is that I am right and you are wrong because I said it first.

Giu, it is ok. I don't mind if you copy me. However, have you decided what a boom is yet??? 1,2,3,4,5???

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Boom is the sound that a carbon fiber spar makes as it breaks when it hits the dense skull of the boat's captain in a high wind gybe.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-01-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
It's this "MENTALLY SECURE" bit that has me worried. Let me check with my other selves and we'll get back to you.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 05-02-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Lol, you guys make me lauhg.

Okay, went back today and did the Engine survay. It went great, just the obvious things need to be replaced, belts, oil filter, fuel filter, yadayada.

Was really happy with the engine surveyour he stayed extra long and we talked about sailing and the boat and other mechanical related things and I learned a lot.

He also checked the batteries for us and told us all about how they work and that they are in-fact in great sea-going condition.

Okay.. well.

I'm pretty bent on just buying this thing and getting it over with. I like the boat, and it feels sturdy.

I can see myself making a few improvements to the bob-stay fittings. the bob-stay is already showing signs of weakening at the bottom of the bow.

I will let you know tomorrow what my final decision is.

I do not doubt for a moment this boat's ability to keep me afloat and take a beating in coastal waters, I've seen the worst of it out here and it's really not that bad. This boat sails on about a 12 degree heel with a strong breeze, and feels very comofrtable.

On the ocean, which I haven't been on yet, it is probably a different story. So that's why I'm going on this trip to get that experience.

At worst, I will have a great coastal cruiser this summer and will enjoy crusing and circumnavigating Vancouver island

Kacper
Old 05-02-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Kacper,
This is something of a repeat but one of my favourite books is Jonathan Raban's "Passage to Juneau". If you havn't already, get hold of a copy , maybe to read as you cross the Atlantic. I have a few dream cruises in my list and that trip is one of them. Damn Australia is a long way from anywhere, which is both it's best and worst features. (other than jaws that bite and claws that scratch plus the odd flea bitten rodent of course.)
Enjoy.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 05-02-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
In short, if you are feeling iffy about it, walk...
Not bad advice but - and this will bring down the wrath of many - you need to appreciate the fact that you are not spending bluewater money, hence you are not going to get a boat that is designed and built for anything and everything the sea can throw out. Those boats are limited to Valiants, Nauticats, Fischers, Swans, Oysters, etc. Do you note a trend there ??? They are all expen$ive boats. And regardless of which one you selected, after five years of ocean-voyaging - it will have significant weakness issues somewhere.

So - you can wit until you have 350K to plunk down for a nearly new sea ocean boat, or you can back up your bowsprit with a stainless steel support and go out and cruise, like thousands of others are doing...