Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Bowsprit Ripped Off!?

hey guys,

Well, I'm like 6 days from buying this Bayfield 32' which I have fallen in love with.

But I am feeling quite demotivated and confused all of a sudden.

I have talked to a few people who owned the boat and they said it's really sturdy, I even loved the Sea trial. She looks and feels beefy.

Now, I just got off the phone with the skipper who's taking me across the Atlantic in a week.

And this is his story of a short "Ocean" rough weather sea trial in a Bayfield 36'... short version.

His friend had one and was thinking of taking it across the Atlantic to England a few years ago, they decided to do a trial 2 day run in the ocean just to see how she feels. The weather got a little rough and the bow started pounding the waves.

All of a sudden they hit a bigger wave and the bowsprit FU@#!#G ripped right off took off half their rig with it!

!@!@!@!@!!!!!!

They had to beach the boat sailing downwind into the lee shore in order to avoid loosing the mast and were rescued by the CG after beaching the boat on a shoal part of the coast.

Now this guy is a very seasoned Ocean sailor / racer and I respect his opinion and expertese, he said that bowsprit was a piece of ****.

He highly recommended against getting the boat specifically for the bow-sprit design,... if I were to go bluewater sailing on it(which I am planning on specifically)

I agree, it is a little bit weird, and, I have read other reports of people experiencing "weakening" of the bow sprit after sailing upwind in stronger weather.

ARgh...

Now I am torn between two choices... Get this boat now... or leave it, and go through the hassle of looking for something else.

I am also thinking I should probably go on this Atlantic crossing first, and when it's done, see what I think about what a "blue water" boat should be like, before I buy this one. Just such a pain in the ass.

What do you guys think about re-enforcing the bow-sprit?

And what do you know about bow-sprit design/functionality?

Sigh, I'm going to do the Engine survay tomorrow anyhow. tomorrow is the day when all survays are done and I can either buy it or leave it.

Any suggestions and comments would be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Does the bowsprit have a bobstay? If not, that could be a reason for the problems with it. What did the surveyor, who you didn't like, say about the condition of the bowsprit??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-01-2007

hey SD

yes, bobstay is there (maybe I should beef that up?)

It's the same thickness as the shrouds.

Surveyour said nothing, I still haven't recieved the official survey by email yet... Gggrrrr, not happy with the service.

Kacper
Old 05-01-2007

skrap1r0n is on a distinguished road
you know, I always subscribe to the theory that when the time is right, and the item you are trying to get is supposed to be yours, it feels right and it all goes smoothly.

In short, if you are feeling iffy about it, walk...There will be another one around the corner that will meet all your needs and deisres.
Old 05-01-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
SD
As you can see from the link below, the bulk of the bowsprit is molded hull in a "clipper bow'. Ripping that off is akin to tearing the stem off.... you have to wonder if the 36 in question had been previously damaged, or if they hit something harder than a wave.

Bayfield 32 - Used Sailboat Market in Canada

Kacper, I don't think the design is inherently unsound, or the construction flawed. There are lots of these boats around, many of which have been offshore.

The nature of the shape of the bow should make that part of the molding quite strong in its own right. Before you bail, since you do really like the boat, try to find out more about that particular incident....
Old 05-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I was expecting something a bit less sturdy than what the drawings that page shows. I don't see how the bowsprit could be ripped off of the boat unless it was damaged in some way previously and not properly repaired.

Also, one other thing to consider is that the Bayfield 36 is not a Bayfield 32, and though the names and boats may be somewhat similar, it isn't the same boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-01-2007

Looking is on a distinguished road
Kacper,

I'm with SD and Faster on this one. By all accounts you have a terrific boat here that you love. Classic looks and a strong, tried design. I wouldn't go on hearsay at this point, no matter it's source. I suspect Faster is right... IF the bowsprit did 'tear off' then I suspect there must have been prior damage. As far as skrap1r0n's comments, if I bailed on everything that felt a little iffy, I wouldn't be married for 23 years to my beautiful wife, with 2 gorgeous children (who look like their mother thank God!).

Go for it... it's just butterflies on account of the huge investment.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 05-01-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Go for it... it's just butterflies on account of the huge investment.

Cheers,
Andrew[/QUOTE]

Kacper,

I get that feeling every time I pay out big bucks, its normal (I think), you have been given so many pos and neg replies to your thread and you have got to this point. At the end of the day you will know if it feels right, you have done more than most to allay any fears this boat is a lemon. GO FOR IT.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 05-01-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster
SD
As you can see from the link below, the bulk of the bowsprit is molded hull in a "clipper bow'. Ripping that off is akin to tearing the stem off.... you have to wonder if the 36 in question had been previously damaged, or if they hit something harder than a wave.

Bayfield 32 - Used Sailboat Market in Canada

Kacper, I don't think the design is inherently unsound, or the construction flawed. There are lots of these boats around, many of which have been offshore.

The nature of the shape of the bow should make that part of the molding quite strong in its own right. Before you bail, since you do really like the boat, try to find out more about that particular incident....
Faster,
I've never seen a B32 in the flesh but looking at that drawing and a pic or two from yacht world it looks to me as if the bowsprit itself is basically a frame with timber infills that sits on a false clipper bow. It's even more accentuated on the B36. I can see why it might be a problem particularly in an older boat that had seen some rough stuff previously.

Kacper,
To my mind it seems strange to go out and buy a boat immediately before heading off as crew across the Atlantic. What's the rush ? There are currently 15 B32 for sale on yachtworld.com so they are not in short supply. If this upcoming trip is your first ocean crossing then wait, your ideas are bound to change before you get to the other side. If they don't then buy the thing, it will probably still be there when you get back home or there will be another just around the corner.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-01-2007

Thanks for your comments so far guys I'll look into the bowsprit more tomorrow and do some bow-sprit research.

T.D : Yes, it is rather rushed.

Actually, the oppertunity to go across the Atlantic came up just 2 weeks ago and I jumped on it, which was well into the process of buying this boat So the timing just aint perfect, I agree.

Now I have a choice to drop this and go experience the Ocean for about a month and see what it's really like to be on a long Ocean passage before I commit to what I think is a "blue-water" boat.

Do you guys know anyone who has taken this boat offshore? Or links to logs/articles of people who have? So far I have only been able to get in touch with a couple who's cruising the carribean in one.

Kacper

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.