Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2007

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Goin' Racin'

The wife and I are signed up to crew for our first time this weekend. It'll be another week 'til we get our own boat back on the water so we're extra excited to get a chance to hopefully learn something and get in some time on the water before that.

Lunch and drinks will be taken care of, so we just need to bring our personal "stuff". Any advice on what "stuff" to bring would be appreciated. The forecast is for high sixty's, so I'm thinking it could feel pretty cool on the water. The bibs and jacket, gloves, hat, PFD and maybe a fleece pullover are on the list so far. Anything I should add or delete?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I'd suggest also: boots, sunscreen, 3-4 bottles of water, sunglasses, an extra hat (you know why) and a knife. You might use a full zipper front fleece, more convenient and flexible than a pullover, preferrably a windstopper material (ala NorthFace/Mountain Hardgear). It helps if the hat has a chin strap. Gloves should include leather sailing and fleece handwarmers.

I also wear (on a lanyard) a good rigging knife whenever sailing, a must for racing. See Boye knife saves a life

Everything should pack into one dufflebag. Confirm that drinks include beer (for the ride home). This company sells only the best of gear $$$ if you want ideas on any of this stuff: Team One Newport

You asked...

Last edited by sailingfool; 05-02-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sunglasses might be a good idea, as would be sunscreen. The amount of UV you get on the water is almost double of that on land, since the UV reflects off the water quite nicely.

If you have your own inflatable PFD, it might be a good idea to bring it... especially if it has a harness. Bringing your own tether is also a good idea, if you have one. Bringing your own safety gear is generally a good idea, since you're familiar with it. This is especially true if you're a very small or very large person, since they may not have a PFD that will fit you comfortably.

Deck shoes or boots are probably a good idea.

Carrying a rigging knife, just in case of an emergency is also a good idea.

You might want to pack a spare change of clothes, including some warmer clothes, like polarfleece. One final thing to carry is a towel... If it gets really wet out... it can be useful to have one.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and remember to listen to the skipper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-02-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
... and remember to listen to the skipper.
As a skipper of lengthy experience, do listen ... with a grain of salt, and when you laugh, do so discretely, the guy who's paying for the boat deserves some respect. And never yell...unless yelled at first.

Last edited by sailingfool; 05-02-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool
As a skipper of lengthy experience, do listen ... with a grain of salt, and when you laugh, do so discretely, the guy who's paying for the boat deserves some respect. And never yell...unless yelled at first.
Note: I said listen to...not obey...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-03-2007

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Note: I said listen to...not obey...

You guys crack me up.

I have and will take most of the stuff mentioned. Don't have an inflatable PFD or boots, but hopefully regular topsiders and a regular PFD will suffice.

As for a knife, I'm one of those that if I've got pants on, I've got a knife.

The skipper mentioned that water and beer would be provided, but any other beverage we would need to bring. I take that as a man with his priorites in order.
Old 05-03-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Ask the skipper what he/she thinks you should bring. If you show up with a suitcase full of stuff he/she might not let you on the boat!