SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Loose Change (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/32098-loose-change.html)

GotTheNotion 05-05-2007 10:33 PM

Loose Change

I'm getting ready to step my mast tomorrow. What's the deal with putting a coin under the mast? Can I take out the original owner's and give it back to him? Should I leave it there with mine if there's room? Should I not put one there? What kind of coin? Why? Blah, blah, blah...

tdw 05-05-2007 11:04 PM

Supposed to be a silver coin I believe. Also supposedly dated the year she was built. The coin is so you will have the dosh to pay Charon to ferry you across the river Styx should you and your ship meet an unpleasant fate.

Whether or not you can use Amex and claim frequent flyer points is open to debate.

sailingdog 05-06-2007 06:44 AM

Yes, charon does not accept anything but silver for payment for ferrying a soul across the river Styx. :D Keep both coins there, and that way you cover your passengers and crew. :D

GotTheNotion 05-06-2007 08:20 AM

Thanks! Wombat and Dog

Styx...hmm...didn't they do that song "I'm Sailing Away"?;) -no really, I'm not blonde.
I have heard different things about gold coins too.
Thanks for the clarification.
Call me crazy and superstitious (oh my God I must be a sailor!) but, I am calling my rigger this morning and putting off taking the mast down until I get over to my moms to get a Susan B that was given to me when I was young.

If anyone needs help on that voyage it's gonna be me!!!

I have plenty more things to do today anyway. I measured another job for a 1970ish 32' Tartan yesterday. Wow, what a cool boat.
If I don't dive in to this river of fabric and foam I have piling up, I WILL be you know where without a paddle!

I think I'll also put some of my rub rails back on Antares to get my daily fix.

Valiente 05-06-2007 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotTheNotion
Styx...hmm...didn't they do that song "I'm Sailing Away"?;) -no really, I'm not blonde.
I have heard different things about gold coins too.
Thanks for the clarification.
Call me crazy and superstitious (oh my God I must be a sailor!) but, I am calling my rigger this morning and putting off taking the mast down until I get over to my moms to get a Susan B that was given to me when I was young..

Just make sure the thickness of the coin under the mast doesn't lead to unexpected "rake" problems.

Alden68 05-06-2007 11:53 AM

with my luck my mast step would corrode from the dissimilar metals of the coins and the step :)

GotTheNotion 05-06-2007 12:25 PM

Corrosion and Thickness

Good words guys.

I'll only put my coin in and give the other back to Will if there's not enough room. My rigger is also a guitar player so he really knows his tuning!!!

Corrosion..hmm...I'll have to research that one and also see what's there when it comes down.

sailingdog 05-06-2007 08:00 PM

If you're worried about corrosion... coat the coin in epoxy or plastic. :)

GotTheNotion 05-06-2007 09:08 PM

Silicone and Plastic

I think those are two of my favorite things!!!

sailingdog, you are one hyperintelligent man!!!:)

sailingdog 05-06-2007 10:13 PM

Why thank you GTN... :D A plus to epoxying the coin to the mast-step... no one can steal it prior to it being used... ;)