Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007

mrkeith is on a distinguished road
Question wha to do?

i found a mast head blooper on my boat today ( i m guessing thats what it is- looks like a triangle - luff 48, leech 37, foot 37), but my boat is a fractional rig w/ only one masthead halyard. i m thinking i can use this as either a 1) crappy asymetrical, or 2) flown w/ a fractional spinnaker or 3) as a canopy. does that sound about right?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Mrkeith-

It could be used as any of the three... it would help if you said what kind of boat you had and what the measurements for the I, J, SPI, and such were. That would at least let us determine whether this sail is cut appropriately for your boat. If you're on a Soling, then I'd be guessing this sail is a bit on the large side. However, if you're on a Reichel-Pugh 80, I'm guessing this is a bit on the small side.... My guess is that your boat is somewhere in-between the two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-08-2007

sorry about that. of course i should have given that

41 ft sailboat, j=15ft, i=43 ft, p=53 feet
Old 05-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How heavy is the cloth, and is it nylon or dacron? If it is meant to be an asymetrical light air sail, it is probably going to be nylon rather than dacron.

Also, does it have a wire luff or hanks?

If it doesn't have hanks or a wire luff for the roller furler, it would sounds like it is a screacher or drifter type light air sail—aka the crappy asymetrical. If you have pole, it should work quite nicely. A photo of the sail in question would help, or at least a better description of it....

It's a bit big to be a canopy... even on a 41' boat. You say your boat only has one masthead halyard, but does it have a separate, lower, jib/genoa halyard??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-08-2007

hi, its nylon, about .75 to 1.0oz, no hanks, its free flying, it does have a 1-2 foot rope extending from the tack. i only have 1 mast head but probably about 4 halyards out at the fractional rig
Old 05-08-2007

hi, its nylon, about .75 to 1.0oz, no hanks, its free flying, it does have a 1-2 foot rope extending from the tack. i only have 1 mast head but probably about 4 halyards out at the fractional rig
thanks for the replys btw, cuz i have no idea what this thing is
cheers
Old 05-08-2007
Telstar 28

It looks like it is designed to fly from a masthead halyard, not a forestay halyard, based on its measurement and the fact that it has a tack pennant. Does it have a sailmaker's label on it? You could always call them and ask them about the sail and boat... they probably have a record of it, if the sail was made specifically for your boat by a PO. Does your boat have a bowsprit?? if so, then it maybe designed to fly from the sprit on a forestay halyard. The Luff plus pennant is about 50'. The forestay on your boat, by my rough calculations is about 45' 6" or so. A short bowsprit would make up the difference about perfectly. The luff seems to be a bit short to fly on a masthead halyard... since that is a much longer measurement.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-08-2007

no bowsprit but an attachment on the anchor. i m thinking its a blooper cuz its looks like a sideways triangle and apparently a blooper is suppose to be sailed w/ a relatively loose halyard, thus maybe if the masthead halyard it released 3 feet, thats the way it works? its made by hood, w/ a 1990 date on it so who knows if it can ge traced. anyway i guess i ll see if it can fly w/ a pole from the fractional and work as an assymetric?
or maybe from my mast head dropped a bit on the opposite side of a flying genoa when going downwind?
might be amusing anyway
Old 05-08-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Sounds like it might be what Hood called an MPS or multi purpose spinnaker in those days anyway. Attaches at the bow and you can ease the halyard to trim. It will be longer than the forestay by design. It may well be ok from the fractional halyards. Used to have one and worked quite well though a pole helped if dead downwind.
Old 05-08-2007
Telstar 28

Chris-

that makes more sense than it being so short of the masthead halyard length.

Telstar 28
New England