Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
has anybody said, tons teak, dark teak ??, I think that's what makes our little boat cozy is the amount of dark teak, bronze hardware, both reading and accsent lights, thick quilts and of course, my lovely wife.

We spent the entire last winter in temps as low as 29 degs, had rain & lots of wind, we could have been home with a ragging fireplace, cental heating, big screen TV with 350 worthless channels and all the other crap, but we were snug as 2 bugs in a rug,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Teak . . . yes, we have LOTS of that stuff in our interiors. In fact, aside from counters, the only surfaces not covered are the padded headliners with teak battens. But that gives us just a little relief from all the warm wood tones.

Excuse the clutter in these thumbnails, but it's the condition our boat gets in after living on the hook for a few days. Some would call it cozy.

Old 05-09-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I have actually gone to some lengths to put in lamp light (regular old 110). I love the light glow of a lamp at anchor. We have the oil lamp too, but it is not worth much as far as light. When you re-do your boat, see if you can get some bulkhead lights that are 110. I finally found some that are 12v 25w. They give a real nice light and really make a boat feel nice.

Rugs are nice. and comfortable on the feet. The hard wood flooring is a little cold sometimes (in comfort, not warmth).

A little spot for decorations. I like the plastic, green ivys/leaves. No real plants down below unless you want to start accumulating critters. But a high quality plastic plant(s) look great.

Book shelves... a nice number of them. We actually keep leather bound books on our boat. Probably not the best envronment down there for them, but I do not care. Leather books on a boat make it look warm, comfortable and inviting.

Nice accent pillows. Not too many. Do not use the slick type - they seem to accumulate dust. Use the fabric-feeling ones. Nautical ones are nice (but a little pricey for reasons I do not understand).

Brass on wood (like lamps, etc) always looks warm to me. Keep room on the bulkhead for a few quality pictures. I like water-paintings in nice frames.

I think fabric cushions look warmer and are more comfortable then ultraleather - but I would never have anything but ultraleather on a boat as it stands up better to abuse and neglect.

As has been said before, the more wood the better.

A nice presonal blanket in easy access waiting for a good book and a few hours of solitude.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-09-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Wow, warm lighting, plants, curtains, rugs, throw pillows. Throw in some scented oils and you guys could open a boutique!

Vaya con Dios
Old 05-09-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
All of the surfaces inside our cabin are covered in wood.
A bulkhead mounted propane fireplace is nice.
Next on my list are the oil lamps. I have been wanting to add some for some time.

I wish I had a better picture for you.
And of course the cabin is a mess, don't look at it cruising with teenagers I call it.
Old 05-09-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
I purchased a couple of nice Gimballed Brass Oil Lamps right here from the Sailnet store and really enjoy them. I think they have been dicontinued but are similar to these.
as far as 12v lighting goes I put two of these (bulkhead light second one down) in the salon galley erea, one in the head and one in the v berth. they give a nice ambiance. Actually these Weems & Plath Atlantic Gimballed Lamp W/Smoke Bell - 718 - BoatersWorld.com
are the lamps we bought, but we got em through sailnet for $47.00 each. wish I woulda bought the whole lot!

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM

Last edited by uspirate; 05-09-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ian-

She'd make most boats pretty cozy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhlnd
I just love my HUGE aft cabin with warm teak paneling and open skylights

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-09-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhlnd
I just love my HUGE aft cabin with warm teak paneling and open skylights

Yeah, thats one of those optical illusion pics, stare at it long enough and you can see some woodwork in the background. but that poor girl looks like a galley slave. being captain of your boat i think you may be required to keep the crews clothing servicable!

edit: I hope when i grow up i can be a dirty old man with young babes servicing my boating needs. or otherwise!

BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

Last edited by uspirate; 05-09-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-09-2007
Trim for Sail

I thought i would throw in a pic of my bow orament i picked up in the philippines. makes my boat cozy!

BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

Old 05-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspirate
I hope when i grow up i can be a dirty old man with young babes servicing my boating needs. or otherwise!
Looks like you're already there...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.