Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsail
Umm If you read again close, you will see that the boat is owner financed,
Good luck trying to get an owner to finance the boat... most people sellling boats aren't going to be willing to do that... and if you, by some miracle, find someone with a boat large enough, that is willing to finance the sale of the boat, I'd be amazed.

Quote:
And i state ill pay 2 years of payments on note, not the balance. Also i did put in the first years dock fee's.
Do you honestly think the owner of the boat, even if he agrees to finance the sale, will allow you to have eight strangers liveaboard the boat before the boat is paid for??? He would surely require insurance before allowing that... and as I said previously, getting insurance for a ferro-cement boat is close to impossible.

Quote:
But serious. i dont buy into the can't get along thing. Teams travel together for long periods of time. If the people are over the age of 25 or so, and aren't drug users/insano'ssss' And have a good skipper, im not worried about that.
You haven't any real experience about living in close quarters for extended periods of time. It is difficult enough for two people who love each other to do this... having eight relative strangers do this is going to be really difficult.
Quote:
Your right about the size of boat, it need's too be big enough too hold 8.They are out there. Just got too look for the right one.
Have you priced bluewater boats large enough to hold eight people recently??? Might want to take a look at the market sometime... Apparently, you're using a stomach window or wearing rose-colored spectacles.
Quote:
About finding the people, i think thats the easy part. Belive it or not there are a TON of people that could blow out 15k for a two year adventure and not think about it for a min. So finding the 8 is the least of my problems.
While there are a ton of people who can blow out 15K for a two-year adventure... can you find eight that are willing to put up with each other for that amount of time. Finding eight people isn't the challenge... finding eight people who are willing to spend that kind of money and put up with each other for two years, is going to be close to impossible.
Quote:
But thanks for poo pooing my plan! J/K its all good.
I need too hear folk's ideas so when i get this started fair, and org.
Thanks again.
You asked for feedback, and based on my experience with people, sailboats, and sailing, I don't think that what you're planning is going to be possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2007

worldsail is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Good luck trying to get an owner to finance the boat... most people sellling boats aren't going to be willing to do that... and if you, by some miracle, find someone with a boat large enough, that is willing to finance the sale of the boat, I'd be amazed.

Do you honestly think the owner of the boat, even if he agrees to finance the sale, will allow you to have eight strangers liveaboard the boat before the boat is paid for??? He would surely require insurance before allowing that... and as I said previously, getting insurance for a ferro-cement boat is close to impossible.

You haven't any real experience about living in close quarters for extended periods of time. It is difficult enough for two people who love each other to do this... having eight relative strangers do this is going to be really difficult.
Have you priced bluewater boats large enough to hold eight people recently??? Might want to take a look at the market sometime... Apparently, you're using a stomach window or wearing rose-colored spectacles.
While there are a ton of people who can blow out 15K for a two-year adventure... can you find eight that are willing to put up with each other for that amount of time. Finding eight people isn't the challenge... finding eight people who are willing to spend that kind of money and put up with each other for two years, is going to be close to impossible.
You asked for feedback, and based on my experience with people, sailboats, and sailing, I don't think that what you're planning is going to be possible.

Thanks again, i understand your way of thinking, and thanks for your help.
I served 4 years in the USN. we did ok. Now finding the owner too hold the note on 180000 might not be easy. But if the owner has a good ferro boat, that wants out of the slip fees, and is having problems selling boat, then maybe it can be done. also here is a boat i like and have spent many hours
researching them. This is just a example of what im looking at now.

Also i have a family member that owns a insurance company, So that is already checked out
and ok. Good advice though! ferro boats are a pain too insure! thanks

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

Last edited by worldsail; 05-09-2007 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Pretty boat... four cabins...that would mean, ideally, that you need four couples... each willing to spend $30,000.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-09-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
You seem to be assuming that the owner will finance you on say a 10% deposit with 15000 a year payments, prepaid in years two and three. That is say at 140,000 59,000 plus 10000 preparation (a gross undercalculation) leaves 51,000 or 3400 pa expenses each, assuming the boat needs no maintenance or repairs. It might be more realistic to make repairs and equipment 20% in the first year even assuming "it is very close to cruise ready shape" and 10% pa thereafter. That would leave you with 15000 or less than 20pw each.
You assume the owner would be prepared to buy into such a scheme, and no-one wanted out part way, and that you or someone has the skill to act as captain.
You seem to overlook that the owner would require at the least insurance which would make a major hole in your budget.
You asked for opinions - don't lose your rag when they are not what you want.
Old 05-09-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee
You seem to be assuming that the owner will finance you on say a 10% deposit with 15000 a year payments, prepaid in years two and three. That is say at 140,000 59,000 plus 10000 preparation (a gross undercalculation) leaves 51,000 or 3400 pa expenses each, assuming the boat needs no maintenance or repairs. It might be more realistic to make repairs and equipment 20% in the first year even assuming "it is very close to cruise ready shape" and 10% pa thereafter. That would leave you with 15000 or less than 20pw each.
You assume the owner would be prepared to buy into such a scheme, and no-one wanted out part way, and that you or someone has the skill to act as captain.
You seem to overlook that the owner would require at the least insurance which would make a major hole in your budget.
You asked for opinions - don't lose your rag when they are not what you want.
Wow Wtf man? I havent lost anything????? cant you take a freaking joke? Dam! All i got too say.

And i aggree, the numbers are somewhat lax right now. thats why i started the dam thread to get help. Not sure about the rudeness, maybe people cant take a dam jokeing with anymore.....
Old 05-09-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Pretty boat... four cabins...that would mean, ideally, that you need four couples... each willing to spend $30,000.

No even close. Man this aint the freaking love boat. Its a adventure. your Zip
90210? LOL
But in my mind i agree 8 on there would be a bit snug! i'll give ya that.
But really that many beds, with people on differant hours, watch ect ect,
I dont see any problems. And i dont see any law stating you cant bring a aire bed on a boat. And sleep out under the stars. Hell i lived in a tent for a year travelling. I find it hard too belive i would fell anything but happy in this boat
with 7 other people! [:
Old 05-09-2007
Telstar 28

Worldsail-

Even couples and families cruising together have a need for a dedicated private space of their own on a boat. Having two people, who aren't a couple share a cabin over a two-year period isn't realistic.

Crossing oceans isn't a place for aire beds... you need to have a secure sea berth for each person... yes, all eight... because there may be a time when the boat is going through really heavy weather and the crew is huddling below with the boat hove to.

You obviously have no idea of what a long bluewater passage or voyage requires of the boat or crew?

If you want to really do this, and have any chance of succeeding, you're going to have to take off the rose-colored spectacles and stop using the stomach window.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-09-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsail
No even close. Man this aint the freaking love boat. Its a adventure. your Zip
90210? LOL
But in my mind i agree 8 on there would be a bit snug! i'll give ya that.
But really that many beds, with people on differant hours, watch ect ect,
I dont see any problems. And i dont see any law stating you cant bring a aire bed on a boat. And sleep out under the stars. Hell i lived in a tent for a year travelling. I find it hard too belive i would fell anything but happy in this boat
with 7 other people! [:
Tell him he's dreamin (famous Australian saying)

You will be at sea sailing if you are unlucky 10% of the time, the other 90% you will be under each others feet, and have no where to go to get away. think about 8 people in a small house, only your boat would be smaller.

Consider picking up a nice 32' well built boat in the 20-30K mark and do it with one good friend, you will have a better chance of leaving land, and the money will go further and last longer.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 05-09-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Mate, you ask for advice, people offer their opinions and you pooh pooh them. You don't want advice you want agreement with your idea. The consensus here seems to be that the idea sucks. It does. Nice pipe dream perhaps but what amounts to a floating commune ? Can't see it.

Then again , think of all those naysayers who said the Tower of Babel would never work.

As to your belief that finding the people is the easy bit. Good Luck. Crew, or the lack thereof is without doubt one of the biggest problems facing the cruising skipper. It's why so many of us look to a vessel that is capable of being single handed but is easily operated by a couple.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 05-09-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw
Mate, you ask for advice, people offer their opinions and you pooh pooh them. You don't want advice you want agreement with your idea. The consensus here seems to be that the idea sucks. It does. Nice pipe dream perhaps but what amounts to a floating commune ? Can't see it.

Then again , think of all those naysayers who said the Tower of Babel would never work.

As to your belief that finding the people is the easy bit. Good Luck. Crew, or the lack thereof is without doubt one of the biggest problems facing the cruising skipper. It's why so many of us look to a vessel that is capable of being single handed but is easily operated by a couple.

Ok i can respect this post. Its too the point, no bulls())(!
And pretty funny! One thing you say sparks my interest,

"As to your belief that finding the people is the easy bit. Good Luck. Crew, or the lack thereof is without doubt one of the biggest problems facing the cruising skipper"

Ok so IF this is true prove it! I find it hard too belive that a guy with a nice big boat that wants too cruise the world cant find people too go.
IF this is true, then tell me what i need too do for the next year too find these people! Cause all i want too do really is cruise the S pacific. Thats the end goal. And it will come true one way or the other! Thanks for your input!