Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
why the need for such a big boat and crew? if you want to cruise do mhat my buddy and his girl did. they sailed the entire so.pac for 3 years in a $12k 34 foot columbia. check it HOME

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2007

worldsail is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspirate
why the need for such a big boat and crew? if you want to cruise do mhat my buddy and his girl did. they sailed the entire so.pac for 3 years in a $12k 34 foot columbia. check it HOME

I have thought of this route, and one of the small boats i love is the
pacific Seacraft Flicka. Its a pocket cruiser that can go about anywhere.
Im still considering that matter of fact. Looking at options.
thanks
Old 05-10-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
You don't have a nice big boat.
You want 7 other people to move somewhere with you to work for you establishing a coating business, which you then abandon or maybe sell, and live with you for three years, in effect paying off a boat jointly.
Why not work hard save hard and buy a boat within your means? Perhaps you will find someone compatible to accompany you. As TDW says strange things happen.
Old 05-10-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
guy slipped across from me has a flicka, gorgeous little boat, nice full keel too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 05-10-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsail
Ok i can respect this post. Its too the point, no bulls())(!
And pretty funny! One thing you say sparks my interest,

"As to your belief that finding the people is the easy bit. Good Luck. Crew, or the lack thereof is without doubt one of the biggest problems facing the cruising skipper"

Ok so IF this is true prove it! I find it hard too belive that a guy with a nice big boat that wants too cruise the world cant find people too go.
IF this is true, then tell me what i need too do for the next year too find these people! Cause all i want too do really is cruise the S pacific. Thats the end goal. And it will come true one way or the other! Thanks for your input!
Can't prove it cos the people I know who could back this up are spread far and wide around the world. However, my statement comes from being around people on cruising boats for the past 25 years and I hear what they are saying. For the guys in the big(ger) boats finding crew is the hardest part of all apart from trying to pay the bills.

I simply cannot figure why, if all you want to do is cruise the Sth Pacific ,
you would not simply go for a 40'er and do it with a couple.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-10-2007

chrisn586 is on a distinguished road
Here is my advice based on a low budget, do it yourself, go young and now style for hard workers.
Work your tail off and save $, read everything sailing, talk to and take advice from people with experience (not just talkers), start researching boats now and keep records (you'll soon see trends, pros, & cons) after months of saving learning and watching you can act with more confidence, avoid cement and wood, think plastic (maybe steel), think safety not marketing claims and cool stuff re: gear, keep crew/party to a minimum (maybe find a girlfriend who will work hard too and share the dream), Port of Angeles/San Pedro/Willmington are cheapest slips in CA and close to So Pac (with lots of boat bussiness' and non-skid work around), sign on as crew where possible and you'll earn experience/connections/maybe $.
The Flicka is nice, well built and safe, but I think it might be too expensive and too small. Look for a bargin Westsail 32 that needs some work. It may be a little heavy/slow but it's sturdy enough to cross an ocean and not too costly.
Don't give up the dream; revise the plan, go simple and go safe.
Just my 2 cents. I don't reply often; just lurk now and then, but I had to chime in here because I'm rooting for ya. I think more than 4 people involved and it will never happen.
Chris
By the way, I've been dreaming of cruising for 15 years. I've worked my ass off and stuck with the goal and now IT IS happening. We've got our boat, it's getting dialed in, and we leave in two months.
Old 05-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee
You don't have a nice big boat.
You want 7 other people to move somewhere with you to work for you establishing a coating business, which you then abandon or maybe sell, and live with you for three years, in effect paying off a boat jointly.
Why not work hard save hard and buy a boat within your means? Perhaps you will find someone compatible to accompany you. As TDW says strange things happen.
Ok man wtf are you talking about?
have a nice day man.....
Old 05-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn586
Here is my advice based on a low budget, do it yourself, go young and now style for hard workers.
Work your tail off and save $, read everything sailing, talk to and take advice from people with experience (not just talkers), start researching boats now and keep records (you'll soon see trends, pros, & cons) after months of saving learning and watching you can act with more confidence, avoid cement and wood, think plastic (maybe steel), think safety not marketing claims and cool stuff re: gear, keep crew/party to a minimum (maybe find a girlfriend who will work hard too and share the dream), Port of Angeles/San Pedro/Willmington are cheapest slips in CA and close to So Pac (with lots of boat bussiness' and non-skid work around), sign on as crew where possible and you'll earn experience/connections/maybe $.
The Flicka is nice, well built and safe, but I think it might be too expensive and too small. Look for a bargin Westsail 32 that needs some work. It may be a little heavy/slow but it's sturdy enough to cross an ocean and not too costly.
Don't give up the dream; revise the plan, go simple and go safe.
Just my 2 cents. I don't reply often; just lurk now and then, but I had to chime in here because I'm rooting for ya. I think more than 4 people involved and it will never happen.
Chris
By the way, I've been dreaming of cruising for 15 years. I've worked my ass off and stuck with the goal and now IT IS happening. We've got our boat, it's getting dialed in, and we leave in two months.

Very funny man! NO LIE! was just looking at the westsail site that list them for sale. Great little boat! But anything worth working on is 40k.

FOR ALL YOU WHO SUGGEST I WORK AND SAVE MONEY, get a clue.....My idea was too make it possiable for a few people too go on a trip of a life time. Some of you people really make me sick. last time i waste bandwith talking down too moron's.after i say-
As for the total ******* or two that decided accuse me of trying too get people too help me start up and sell a company ect ect. I feel sorry for you.
Plain and simple,
My plan was too get owner too hold note under a travel company
Get the 6-8 people too invest in the boat
then pass out equal shares to each person
Do the trip then charter the boat.
To get back some investment.
The coating company was too give people that wanted too
come and work a way too make the 15000 in the first year for the trip.
My normal job for anyone who would like too know is a Drug addiction
counsler. SOBER 18 years. So please know what the hell your talking about
before you go and pass blame.
Dont have something positive too say, please dont type.
If i want too go buy a 30-35' boat i can go buy one. the point was to include others in the trip. 15k ech gets 6-8 people a huge nice boat, world travel, and a lifetime of memory's. people pay that for used cars.........I dont get it.
O' i guess i do, everyone that trys to plan something thats good in this day and age must be trying too rip off/cheat/hustle/scam right?
What better trip would be then 6-8 people together on a 60' sailboat traveling? Thats assuming they are a not total depressed wack job.
But its ok, i can fix that and they would be welcome too......

Last edited by worldsail; 05-10-2007 at 03:12 AM.
Old 05-10-2007

SO enough of that crap.

Back on subject, I do like the westsail alot! Looks too be exactly what
i could use with another. But @ 50-70000, there is alot of boats in that price
range. But i love the look, and what i read so far its a great design. Colin Archer
boats too me are the best looking boats ive ever seen. Im also a HUGE
fan of the D. Ducks. (power) and seahorse marine makes a SWEET ONE
with a motorsailer rig. But @ 600000 no can do on my pay scale.
Thanks all who had something too say about my question.
Old 05-10-2007

Looking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsail
Ok man wtf are you talking about?
have a nice day man.....
Okay. Read this whole thread and was about to abandon any chance of following it further until now...

1) YOU asked for advice and opinion.
2) YOU have been rude to any that offer advice contrary to your planned agenda.
3) YOU seem the type incapable to get along with 1 other person, let alone 7!

My advice is forget the 32 - 40 footer and a 'mate' or 'girlfriend' and get a 28' BCC, Cape Dory or Westsail, and... GO ALONE!

That's it. I'm done with this thread.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.