Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007

nightowle is on a distinguished road
Hey "Looking" I agree.....this guy is starting to remind me of Jim Jones. Scary!
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Worldsail-

I'd be curious as to know what you're sailing background/experience is?

It really seems that you don't have much of a clue of the problems involved in having eight people in close proximity—and any affordable sailboat is going to be close proximity—for extended periods of time.

Hot bunking is done on racing boats, but almost never on cruising boats, as it is really not practical.

If you do manage to find an owner dumb enough to help finance your scheme, trying to do it with six or more, otherwise unconnected, and complete strangers is unlikely to succeed at best. While I applaud your goal of helping other people get out there... they don't know you from Adam... and they have little reason to want to go with you.

If each of the six-to-eight people is an equal partner in this venture—are you going to form a corporation to own the boat, or draw up a tontine agreement for all involved?

Who is ultimately responsible for the ship? There can be only one captain—so how do you get six-to-eight people to agree who should be that person? Most countries hold the captain of the ship legally responsible for the actions of their crew... are you willling to be legally and financially responsible for six-to-eight relative strangers???

Most of the real horror stories that come out from cruising have little to do with pirates....and mostly to do with crew incompatibilities... What is the chance of getting six-to-eight people who can tolerate each other in close proximity for two years, that are otherwise unknown to each other... and are willing to risk paying a fairly sizeable amount of cash to do so, with little in the way of recourse should one of the others be a complete sociopath.

Also, you are literally going to be trusting these strangers with your life, if you hit any bad weather, or have an emergency on board, like getting holed by a floating piece of debris... and not all people react well in such a situation.

$15000 can go a long way to buying a bluewater capable sailboat like an Alberg 30 or Westsail 32. It is far more likely that you can find one or two people that you are compatible with long-term... than it is to find five-to-seven people.

I'd also point out that if you're mentioning being 18 years sober... it means that you are either a recovering drug addict or alcoholic... not exactly a stellar example to start with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-10-2007 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-10-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
We all have dreams, but are they realistic dreams?
I don't know, there's some guy sailing around the globe three times with a young lady as a companion, that kinda sounds like a dream to me. Not very bright, but still a dream.

Good luck dude, persue it some more, see what kind of response you get.
Just don't be surprised when you don't get the responses that you are looking for.
Like the owner of the boat you wish to procure, or the other seven strangers you want to spend two years with, or the insurance broker, when they look at you and say, "What are you crazy?"

Thats all part of dreaming.
Maybe someday it will happen.

I mean come on, you had to expect this kind of response.

If it were that easy or realistic, it would have been done before.

I know you are set in your ways and not looking for suggestions, but if you want adventure of a life time, take a year or two off (not many people can offord to do it; thats why its called dreaming) and sign on as a crew aboard one of the tall ships that has such programs already in place.

Sail the high seas, climb the main mast, sit in the crows nest.
No wait...... thats my dream.
Old 05-10-2007

worldsail is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Worldsail-

I'd be curious as to know what you're sailing background/experience is?

It really seems that you don't have much of a clue of the problems involved in having eight people in close proximity—and any affordable sailboat is going to be close proximity—for extended periods of time.

Hot bunking is done on racing boats, but almost never on cruising boats, as it is really not practical.

If you do manage to find an owner dumb enough to help finance your scheme, trying to do it with six or more, otherwise unconnected, and complete strangers is unlikely to succeed at best. While I applaud your goal of helping other people get out there... they don't know you from Adam... and they have little reason to want to go with you.

If each of the six-to-eight people is an equal partner in this venture—are you going to form a corporation to own the boat, or draw up a tontine agreement for all involved?

Who is ultimately responsible for the ship? There can be only one captain—so how do you get six-to-eight people to agree who should be that person? Most countries hold the captain of the ship legally responsible for the actions of their crew... are you willling to be legally and financially responsible for six-to-eight relative strangers???

Most of the real horror stories that come out from cruising have little to do with pirates....and mostly to do with crew incompatibilities... What is the chance of getting six-to-eight people who can tolerate each other in close proximity for two years, that are otherwise unknown to each other... and are willing to risk paying a fairly sizeable amount of cash to do so, with little in the way of recourse should one of the others be a complete sociopath.

Also, you are literally going to be trusting these strangers with your life, if you hit any bad weather, or have an emergency on board, like getting holed by a floating piece of debris... and not all people react well in such a situation.

$15000 can go a long way to buying a bluewater capable sailboat like an Alberg 30 or Westsail 32. It is far more likely that you can find one or two people that you are compatible with long-term... than it is to find five-to-seven people.

I'd also point out that if you're mentioning being 18 years sober... it means that you are either a recovering drug addict or alcoholic... not exactly a stellar example to start with.

"I'd also point out that if you're mentioning being 18 years sober... it means that you are either a recovering drug addict or alcoholic... not exactly a stellar example to start with"

Well no **** sherlock....
You are without a doubt the biggest nit-wit on this board.
it's beyong me why people skim over what i type and assume im begin some
jerk, when i said a few times if you cant take a joke take a hike.

Some of you folks need too get off your ass and get out away from the computer a week or so..... Also for all you who said i took the advice wrong,
I didnt... I was just trying too make a conversation. And when i was joked with, i did the same thing back..... Really,,,, you men call yourselfs sailors?
I think some of you need too put on some pants, and take of the panties!
Really!

As for my plans now, A fellow worker has a frined that has a boat thats looks
Interesting. Its a S&S yankee 30' Its been refurbished, and is in great condtion. And the boat is shrunk wrapped and not used. So i can get a great price on it. So im thinking that over now. Its not a westsail, 32 But it has a good rep. in its history. Ill prob. use it a year, and sell for the westsail 32.
Really thanks all that had something worth reading too say, As for you other total scum bags who have nothing better too do but act like a jackass,
Ill give you free advice:

Go sit in a dark room, and ask yourself why i feel i need too put others down
and assume i know someone that i cant even see, or talk too? IF you can get past that (Prob. NOT) then ask how you can change too become a more friendly person. belive me life is much better treating people with repect rather
then hate. I really feel sorry for a few of you.

Take care people.
Old 05-10-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
This entire thread should be deleted.
Old 05-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good riddance worldsail... buh-bye... don't let the door hit you on the backside on your way out.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-10-2007

Looking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Good riddance worldsail... buh-bye... don't let the door hit you on the backside on your way out.
I'd rather it did.
Old 05-11-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
You sure that you have been sober and clean for 18 years? As an addictions counsellor you should be familiar with the term dry drunk.
Oh and by the way calling aggression humour is a ploy that doesn't wash.

Last edited by chris_gee; 05-11-2007 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99
This entire thread should be deleted.
Or at least run through a spell checker. Even for bleedin' SailNet this fella's spelling is appalling. (as he very nearly mispelled appalling )

Yeah I know, I'm nitpicking again. Look, everyone makes the odd speling erra but sometimes I wonder if anyone actually reads what they type before they post.

Just what the world needs, an anal retentive Wombat.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-11-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sometimes you know from post #1 where a thread is headed!! (G)