SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailing S. Pacific plan ??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/32257-sailing-s-pacific-plan.html)

worldsail 05-09-2007 04:48 PM

Sailing S. Pacific plan ???

I have had a dream for a few years too sail the S. Pacific. Im now starting
too plan out this trip. I need advice. Im not sure if this idea will go over well
with people, but i think it makes for great group/trip. Please let me know what you think.

Plan: Get 8 people too commit too a 2 year tour. All people will work for one year. I have a small company doing non-skid. The product i have is
Speedliner. Im doing testing now too improve the look of this system.
All 8 people will relocate too said area (FL/CA) too work (one year)
Each person will be required too put into the boat fund 15000.00 = 120000.00
Im looking now at larger boats for this trip. Im thinking a WELL BUILT ferro-boat. Price around 120-150000..... I will have owner hold note and make monthly payments. Will need too search out a dock that will allow us too stay on boat. (wont be easy).... We will work full time, and do all the prep-work needed in the 1st year. Then we will pay 2 years of payments (30000) (15000 dock fee from the 1 year.) with 10000 in prepwork. will leave the group 40000-60000 for travel. Assume the boat is in VERY close too cruise ready shape.

So the way i see it, you live in a nice area for a year. save for a 2 year trip.
Then for 15000 each, you sail for two years anywhere your heart desires.
Then you come back, and do it all over again! Let me know what you think???

Also assume: No one is playing games with the money/boat ect. (fact)
Also assume: the boat is what ever, cause i dont want to see this thread become a we hate ferro-boats/ why you shouldnt buy one thread! :)

Great fourm, thanks for suggestions.
Anyone? :)

sailingdog 05-09-2007 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worldsail
Plan: Get 8 people too commit too a 2 year tour. All people will work for one year. I have a small company doing non-skid. The product i have is
Speedliner. Im doing testing now too improve the look of this system.
All 8 people will relocate too said area (FL/CA) too work (one year)
Each person will be required too put into the boat fund 15000.00 = 120000.00

Finding eight people who are compatible for a two-year sailing voyage and are willing to give up their current life to move to FL/CA to work for year or two years is really unlikely.

Quote:

Im looking now at larger boats for this trip. Im thinking a WELL BUILT ferro-boat. Price around 120-150000..... I will have owner hold note and make monthly payments. Will need too search out a dock that will allow us too stay on boat. (wont be easy).... We will work full time, and do all the prep-work needed in the 1st year. Then we will pay 2 years of payments (30000) (15000 dock fee from the 1 year.) with 10000 in prepwork. will leave the group 40000-60000 for travel. Assume the boat is in VERY close too cruise ready shape.
Unless the boat is rather large, eight people living aboard a boat is going to be an extremely difficult situation. Unless you have four couples... you will need more than four cabins... which is very unlikely on any boat that would be in the price range you're planning on. Also, boating by committee is generally a bad idea. There has to be a captain... and getting the eight people to agree on any one person being above them is going to be rather difficult IMHO.

Quote:

So the way i see it, you live in a nice area for a year. save for a 2 year trip.
Then for 15000 each, you sail for two years anywhere your heart desires.
Then you come back, and do it all over again! Let me know what you think???
I don't see this as being workable. There are far too many uncontrollable variables and it requires each person to give up too much control.

Quote:

Also assume: No one is playing games with the money/boat ect. (fact)
Also assume: the boat is what ever, cause i dont want to see this thread become a we hate ferro-boats/ why you shouldnt buy one thread! :)

Great fourm, thanks for suggestions.
Anyone? :)
Who will control the money? Who will control the boat? If it is an equal partnership of eight people, you're going to have serious management issues. Getting more than two or three people to agree on any subject is difficult enough... the difficulty goes up exponentially with the number of people.

Nothing wrong with a well-built ferro-cement boat. The real problem is finding a well-built one. Most are not insurable... are the eight people willing to risk losing their three year and $15000 investment?

Your numbers don't add up. :rolleyes: Also, if there are only eight people, each contributing $15,000...that is a total of $120,000. Yet, you're looking to spend $120,000-150,000 on the boat. That doesn't include the costs of re-fitting the boat to make it bluewater capable. That doesn't include the costs of supplies and maintenance and gear for the two-year cruise. That doesn't include the costs for the dock/marina fees for the first year, before the cruise starts.

USCGRET1990 05-09-2007 06:05 PM

STOP DRINKING AND RE-THINK THIS!!
Just kidding...might be easier with 4 crew members...preferably all female...they get along with each other better than guys...(ie, they don't mind sleeping together or in close proximity, etc.) all the testosterone (sp?)of the guys can get in the way. If you are strong and knowledgeable the Gals will follow you. I have thought of doing this in the Carribean and is what I have come up with so far.

TSteele65 05-09-2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worldsail
Im thinking a WELL BUILT ferro-boat. Price around 120-150000.....

If you can wait a few weeks, there might be one coming on the market:

1000days.net - Home

The bowsprit is smashed and it probably reeks of ganja and spermicide, but that might be a good negotiating point.

worldsail 05-09-2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog
Finding eight people who are compatible for a two-year sailing voyage and are willing to give up their current life to move to FL/CA to work for year or two years is really unlikely.

Unless the boat is rather large, eight people living aboard a boat is going to be an extremely difficult situation. Unless you have four couples... you will need more than four cabins... which is very unlikely on any boat that would be in the price range you're planning on. Also, boating by committee is generally a bad idea. There has to be a captain... and getting the eight people to agree on any one person being above them is going to be rather difficult IMHO.

I don't see this as being workable. There are far too many uncontrollable variables and it requires each person to give up too much control.

Who will control the money? Who will control the boat? If it is an equal partnership of eight people, you're going to have serious management issues. Getting more than two or three people to agree on any subject is difficult enough... the difficulty goes up exponentially with the number of people.

Nothing wrong with a well-built ferro-cement boat. The real problem is finding a well-built one. Most are not insurable... are the eight people willing to risk losing their three year and $15000 investment?

Your numbers don't add up. :rolleyes: Also, if there are only eight people, each contributing $15,000...that is a total of $120,000. Yet, you're looking to spend $120,000-150,000 on the boat. That doesn't include the costs of re-fitting the boat to make it bluewater capable. That doesn't include the costs of supplies and maintenance and gear for the two-year cruise. That doesn't include the costs for the dock/marina fees for the first year, before the cruise starts.

Umm If you read again close, you will see that the boat is owner financed,
And i state ill pay 2 years of payments on note, not the balance. Also i did
put in the first years dock fee's.

So stop rolling your eyes and re-read :D

But serious. i dont buy into the can't get along thing. Teams travel together
for long periods of time. If the people are over the age of 25 or so, and aren't drug users/insano'ssss' And have a good skipper, im not worried about that. Your right about the size of boat, it need's too be big enough too hold 8.
They are out there. Just got too look for the right one.
About finding the people, i think thats the easy part. Belive it or not there are
a TON of people that could blow out 15k for a two year adventure and not think about it for a min. So finding the 8 is the least of my problems.
But thanks for poo pooing my plan! :D J/K its all good.
I need too hear folk's ideas so when i get this started fair, and org.
Thanks again.

worldsail 05-09-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSteele65
If you can wait a few weeks, there might be one coming on the market:

1000days.net - Home

The bowsprit is smashed and it probably reeks of ganja and spermicide, but that might be a good negotiating point.

WHO ASKED YOU! :D
I could fill 35 pages with smashed boat's of all builds.
Big whoop! Go take your yuppie ass too the country club, and drawn yourself in good rum... ;)

worldsail 05-09-2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCGRET1990
STOP DRINKING AND RE-THINK THIS!!
Just kidding...might be easier with 4 crew members...preferably all female...they get along with each other better than guys...(ie, they don't mind sleeping together or in close proximity, etc.) all the testosterone (sp?)of the guys can get in the way. If you are strong and knowledgeable the Gals will follow you. I have thought of doing this in the Carribean and is what I have come up with so far.

LOL! yea, sounds like a grand plan. 4 differant gals, with 4 differant 'times'
i guess the good news is they could sync?????? :D

and i belive you need too stop dreaming/drinking, "(ie, they don't mind sleeping together or in close proximity, etc.)" :)

All kidding aside, I need suggestions on a place too dock. West coast. It has too be laxed' on dock rules (4 people on boat full time)
And not too expensive. trying too stay around 1000-1250 a month, 50-60 ft.

CharlieCobra 05-09-2007 07:49 PM

WHO ASKED YOU!
Big whoop! Go take your yuppie ass too the country club, and drawn yourself in good rum...

Ok numbnuts, you aren't long for this site acting like that. Obviously, ya don't sail much or follow sailing news do ya. Go play somewhere else chum.

worldsail 05-09-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra
WHO ASKED YOU!
Big whoop! Go take your yuppie ass too the country club, and drawn yourself in good rum...

Ok numbnuts, you aren't long for this site acting like that. Obviously, ya don't sail much or follow sailing news do ya. Go play somewhere else chum.

I asked nice in my 1st post. please dont turn my thread into a anti ferro boat
thread. It took all of a hour.........
and i was joking all the same, he talked ganja and spearmacide, i talked rum and country clubs??????? have you said anything at all usefull, besides calling me names?

jump off your soap box (better yet slip off) :D

Now thats kinda funny dont ya think? ;)

worldsail 05-09-2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra
WHO ASKED YOU!

'Also assume: the boat is what ever, cause i dont want to see this thread become a we hate ferro-boats/ why you shouldnt buy one thread!'

Just in case you missed that in my 1st post......