Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
$$$$Splashed !

Well - we faired, we buffed, we threatened the broker with a lawsuit and the boat is now in the water, comfortably tucked into her new home. Been out for a couple of short sails and must say, we're very pleased. Everything we expected from a performance standpoint. And getting her going only cost twice as much as we had planned

Still can't get over how unpleasant it was dealing with a broker. Did it once before, in Nova Scotia in 1981, and it was a very easy and professional process. Things sure were different this time. I honestly can't believe that people conduct business as this person did, and continue to survive.

However, we have the boat, and she sails beautifully and has no major problems. Fixed a leak in the hot water system last night. There is no way it could not have been leaking previously, as the male fitting was a little too long for the female, and a seal could not be made ( hmm ... a recurring problem in my life ). It was obvious that the PO had made numerous attempts to figure out what was wrong...so much for the MBA.

Need to rip out the antique propane system and start from scratch - stove looks fine but everything else has to go - debating whether or not to stay with propane or go alcohol (Origo). Not a huge cost difference, and the 5 boats that just blew up here yesterday are tilting the decision in favour of the Origo...have read lots of comments on both sides...must ruminate for a while.

Strange electrical system - a product of the late eighties, needs some rewiring and a couple of doodads, but it does work.

So, all in all, if the dodger and bimini do finally get repaired as promised, a good purchase. Just sorry that we had to deal with a larcenous idiot to do it ... will never deal with him/them again.

Last edited by Sailormann; 05-10-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2007
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
So for us guys out of the loop, what did you buy? Who was the broker? If he was that terrible, he may derserve to have his name told so we can stay away from him or them.

What area where these boats that blew up? Didn't hear about it.

Post some pics of your boat when you get a chance. Happy sails and congrats!
Old 05-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're going to be going cruising or living aboard much at all, you'll find that propane is much simpler a fuel to use, and with a properly designed system, more safe and reliable. Alcohol stoves are much more expensive per BTU, and cooking can take a lot longer, as the temperatures are lower on an alcohol stove.

As for brokers... some are good and honest...others are a waste of oxygen.

As for the male fitting.. YOU WISH...

I'd also check the wiring for any non-marine grade wiring...which will generally be quite corroded and brittle, and usually a good place for a fire to start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-10-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
What about diesel stoves? It's a far less "wet" fuel and gets past the availability/fittings issue.

If I didn't have a sparkling Force 10 oven aboard, I would go this way as I have plenty of tankage, with more in the works. We are going to install a diesel heater to dry out the boat as much as to provide toastiness.
Old 05-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Valiente-

A lot of people don't like diesel stoves since they can be a royal maintenance nightmare.... and most IIRC need to be pre-heated, like the older kerosene stoves did. That generally requires that you carry both diesel and alcohol (for the pre-heating) as fuels aboard the boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-10-2007
Here .. Pull this

I am hesitant to post the name of the broker - I don't want Sailnet to incur any liability on my behalf as it could be construed as defamatory. But if anyone wants the name feel free to PM and I'll send it along. Suffice to say it is a big, Ontario brokerage that is not a new boat dealer...

Never had propane before - used to alcohol - sort of thinking about diesel, but I would have to drill a hole in the cabin top for a flue and there is the soot issue to deal with. How long does it take a diesl stove to heat up ???

We're not going to do any serious cruising for the next couple of years - can't see us doing more than two weeks at a time, so convenience is the key. Which is the one plus that propane has over alcohol. Just scares the hell out of me as I have been known to smoke cigarettes on occasion. Force 10 has this interesting thing out now - a gimbaled two-burner cooktop with a microwave underneath...but we'll see - there is already a little Force 10 in the boat that doesn't look like it's in bad shape.

...and five boats at Burlington LaSalle Marina were torched - two of them sank - it was on the front page of the Toronto Star yesterday. I think that there were some others damaged as well...they're blaming vandals, but apparently there was burning diesel on the water - real horror show. I am sure that some propane tank must have blown to start the whole thing off...

Pics of my boat ... so far haven't taken any but the yachtworld listing is still up... YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale
Old 05-10-2007
Telstar 28

Sailormann-

Diesel stoves don't take all that long to heat up..but you do have to pre-heat them IIRC...with an alcohol fire...since diesel's got such a high ignition temperature...which is why it is much safer than gasoline... The flue is also a problem. It will leave soot stains on the sails... UGH...

Oh... I just noticed... you bought a CS30... my sincere condolences... Congrats... I guess you qualify as an AFOC now....

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-10-2007
Here .. Pull this

A what ??? If 'AFOC' is a good thing then I am likely an exemplary one - however if it is a bad thing then I am sure it is something I have acquired through associating with too many Americans online
Old 05-10-2007
Telstar 28

Yes, you're definitely an exemplary AFOC... LOL... a virtual paragon of AFOCdom...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-10-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Congrats Sailormann! You will not be disappointed. Never mind what the guy with training wheels on his boat says. The guy next to me in my new slip has a CS30. We have been comparing boats. I think you have the same rig that I have on my CS34, with a little shorter boom. Mine was built more towards cruising and yours more towards racing. I had a friend out the other day on my boat and he has raced and sailed a lot, but never on a CS. He was amazed at how well the boat performed, how easily she handled, how high she pointed. We had her pointed so high that the windex was in the "no sail" zone and we were at 7 knots in 12 to 15 knots of wind. It was a great day, and I ate up all the praise. Go have fun.

Vaya con Dios

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.