Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Good approach to NYC?

All -

For those who have done this before... we'll be coming up the coast and heading for Fort Lee NJ (George Washington Bridge) from Manasquan, NJ tomorrow. What's the best route to take? With all the shipping traffic, I'm looking to try to be as careful as possible. I'm actually kind of nervous about the trip, so recommendations on best routes and any other suggestions would be greatly suggested!

Thanks!

Chris
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I would say you have an easy run out a bit from the shore and then straight up to Ambrose Tower, there's enough sea room that commercial traffic won't be a bother outside of it. (OK, North winds are predicted so you'll be beating all the way not running, but what else is new?)

From Ambrose, check the haror charts but essentially a sailboat has enough enough draft to go anywhere in the harbor--as long as you don't wander in by Liberty and Ellis Islands, where the depth can hit four feet--so you can take sight from Ambrose of the VZ Bridge, aim for the middle then aim right up the Hudson. Sunday's usually are quiet traffic days once you get above the VZB, as long as you look over your shoulder and step aside when needed.

It really should be a milk run, from Amrose on up the channel is very well marked, there are a number of large lights that people don't realize are up here, and plenty of water for small craft. The worst hazard are the high speed commuter ferries running in from NJ, they seem to think they have right of way because they are "ferries". Well, the only thing that runs on rails in NY Harbor are the NYC ferries--as long as you give them room you're OK. The NYC ferries really need all the room they can get.

But the port usually is quiet on a Sunday, enjoy the scenery and take a gander at what's left of our colonial harbor defenses while you are on the way in.
Old 05-12-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the info... I was looking at heading to the Ambrose light to the Ambrose Channel to the Narrows (staying right to avoid ships turning to Port Elizabeth). I was then going to cut just outside the restricted zone to the right of Liberty Island (to check it out) but away from the thin water. I've looked up 3 marinas - North Hudson Yacht Club, Von Dohln Marina and Edgewater Marina. I have to hop an Amtrak train north to Albany on Sunday evening, go to a kid event on Monday and then back to the boat on Tuesday, so I need a safe spot to store the boat AND one only a short jaunt from Penn Station. Any thoughts on this path?
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 05-12-2007

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
There is regular bus trafic as well as ferry from Atlantic Highlands, NJ. It's in Sandy Hook Bay. So, it is not neccary to go all way up into New York Bay.

Check SeaStreak schedules
SeaStreak > SeaStreak > Homepage
You may jump from your boat to ferry, 40 min later your are in Manhattan.
If you go inside, watch for tides. Current can reach 4 knots under Verezano Bridge, Narrows funnels the wind also, either in or out. A soon as you are inside, it's very much ordinary, exept Staten Island Ferries. I've never stayed at marinas inside, so no advise here.
Old 05-12-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I don't know the marinas--I'm only familiar with the ones further down, which probably are more expensive as well. (Liberty State Park, Port Liberte, Newport) I know the PATH station is only a couple of blocks from the ones further down (and one or two stops from Manhattan!) but don't know at all how it runs up north on the NJ side, or where the many ferries run to the NJ side these days. If Sean Sullivan joins in--I think he's docked on that side and can give you better information on it.

The route sounds good, as long as you watch for those protected zones and the shoals in there, you'll be OK.

I suppose they MIGHT also have transient moorings at the 79th Street Boat Basin on the NYC side itself, 212-496-2105, so if you have the numbers it could be worth calling mainly so your daughter could say she was there. Probably a shorter faster commute from the NJ side and a nice dock, too.

Port Imperial Marina, Weehauken, 201-902-8787 probably has a ferry right at it. Some of the harbor guides to NYC are, ah, a bit surreal with promises of camping and canoes and other things that aren't in this reality, so caveat emptor.

Lincoln Harbor YC 800-205-6987 is just south of them.

Newport YC & Marina 201-626-5550 is worth a call.

Liberty Harbor 201-451-1000 the one just above the state park, is probably the least expensive, southernmost, great views of the lady's back.

Liberty Landing (across the inlet from Liberty Harbor) 201-985-8000 also worth a call, but for my money I think Newport is probably the one that's one PATH stop from midtown.

Plenty of time to have your adminstrative assistant call them on the cell on the way in. It would be interesting to hear their rates, etc. after you've spoken to them.

I'm not even mentioning North Cove, the former megayacht harbor at the base of the World Financial Center, because they do take transients, but you know, that trash under 100' LOA is just SO unseemly. Wall street rates but apparently they can negotiate if things are slow.

Other than North Cove and the Liberty inlet marinas--you will be rocking all night, a lot of the new developments just take swells in from the river traffic all night long with no respite, unless some of those names up river have more traditional breakwaters.

By the way, if you dock near Hoboken? Check out Arthur's Steakhouse for dinner. I assume it is still there, they've been there forever. Old fashioned steakhouse, not the finest but good meat, good prices, plain tables & everyone goes home happy--including whoever paid for it. Obviously you can do better in NYC but...you can also easily pay 3x-4x the price.

Last edited by hellosailor; 05-12-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-13-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Liberty Landing has 1/2 hour ferry service into the Battery where you can connect up to get to Penn Station easily. Good protection in the marina.
Don't worry about the trip...you've done the hard part!!

Liberty Landing Marina - New Jersey Marina -