Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2007
Senior Moment

RickBowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Night on sailboat, arg. Night on a canal motoring a sailboat, arg. Night on a canal motoring a sailboat with lights shining from the shores, arg. What a recipe for splintered wood. No loss of life....cheers!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
In confined waters some have not connected the fact that the tug and barge are, well, connected. When the keel catches the 2" wire rope hawser it fairleads the boat into the bow of the barge. Just speculation.
Old 05-15-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Just read the rest of the article. Not much info other than the tug was on the push. I might guess deck mounted sidelights on the sailboat. Also probably not aware that there is plenty of water, for a sailboat, outside the buoyed channel. Poor sod. I feel anguished for him and am awfully glad he and his family are alright. I don't regret the loss of the boat so much. She was one negligent owner away from her previous rotting state. What makes me sad is the knowledge of the literally countless hours the man invested. Even had he sailed her only once a year, his labor would have been rewarded just by gazing upon her. Now he has nothing. My condolences.
Old 05-15-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
SD - I should have had a reflector up (it was sitting on our salon settee) but I never got to raising it... we're pure fiberglass + associated metal parts (spar and the usual). When I was running down the Delaware I was amazed at how far away the tugs were seeing me, and recognizing me as a "small craft". We'd get calls from tugs 3-4 miles away. I'm assuming some pretty powerful systems plus MARPA like technology on those workboats. Since we were running in the fog, most tugs were reaching out to us to make sure we were running on the proper side (or outside) the channel.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 05-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Labatt-

Unless you want to end up a statistic... put the radar reflector up... and keep it up till you get to where you're going. Not all the boats out there will have radar operators or radars working as well as those tugs did... and won't see you until it is too late unless you have a radar reflector hoisted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-16-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Here's the follow-up story from the local paper. And a picture of them hoisting the wreckage....

delawareonline ¦ The News Journal, Wilmington, Del. ¦ Father feared daughter wouldn't get out alive
Old 05-16-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
I can fix that.
Old 05-16-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Interestingly...none of the articles states exactly what happened to cause the collision. A guy loses his boat and nearly a daughter to a tug and barge and he isn't accusing anyone of anything? It was 3AM but the C&D is lit up like a super highway. Hmmmm....
Old 05-16-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

Like Sailingdog, I am glad Labatt's experience was positive. Most merchant ships do not feel that they own the canal or the right of way-they just want to avoid to get from point A to point B without scratching the paint.(g) In confined waters, such as the C&D canal, it is quite appropriate for even a small sailboat to make a "securite" call, especially in restricted visibility. "This is sailing vessel 'Emily Marie' southbound at can 32, running just outside the channel, standing by for all concerned traffic", is all that is needed. The mate on watch will glance at his radar to pick you out. He may call back, if necessary. If he doesn't spot you, he's going to get real concerned about that damn sailboat out there somewhere. Things that you might hear back from him include such as; what type vessel, length, manoeuvering difficulties, or the fact that "he's gonna edge her over to the other side of the channel to be able to make the next bend against the current." Hearing such on the VHF is a lot better than having hundreds of feet of tug and barge appear ahead and wondering why he's on your side of the "road".

It's not a bad idea, especially in restricted visibility, to jot down the names and positions of the traffic you hear on the VHF. The mate on watch is much more likely to answer your call if you are calling with the name of his ship.

Manoeuvering decisions on ships, as well as tug/tows, are made much further in advance than on small boats. Labatt's 3-4 miles is getting down to the inner limits of decision making. At that distance, which seems quite a ways off on a sailboat, it is advisable to call the on-coming vessel if you intend to alter course such as, "this is sailing vessel Emily Marie to northbound tug with barge on the hip, I intend to alter course to port, cross the channel, and run inside the buoys towards XYZ Point. I will stay clear of you but cannot go outside the channel." Communications such as this are why you bought the VHF in the first place. It is very difficult for the small craft to envision the perspective of the mate or pilot on a much larger ship or tug/tow. A mile, on my sailboat, is a substantial distance. A mile, on a ship, may well mean that the die is already cast as to whether or not two vessels will collide. The ship may be able to make a course alteration, whose only effect may be that while he doesn't hit you with the bow he catches you with the stern on the swing. When a ship makes a course change, at a mile, to miss you, it is probably likely that you will have to make a radical course change to avoid collision as well. Crossing situations at that distance are very nerve wracking on the bridge of the ship. As you disappear from view, under the port bows, silent prayers are offered that you appear shortly under the starboard bows and pass safely down the side.

Your radar reflector will "light you up" as well as a buoy and, the mate on watch, while not necessarily knowing who or what you are, will endeavor to miss you. If he's got doubts he'll be on the VHF expressing them. It's really nice, with the reflector, to have picked up the sailboat at distance and already plotted her track, versus her just appearing at short range with no idea, and limited time to ascertain her course. It's even worse to have the phone ring, and hear the bow lookout report a sailboat close aboard (that you can't see!) and express doubts about her clearing you. The result of that can be going full astern, in an attempt to back down hard, losing control of the ship, and drifting off out of the channel to ground, as Sammy Sailor motors on by with an oblivious wave of the cap.

I am sure the fellows on the tug were quite devatated by the collision as well. Please fly your radar reflectors and use your VHF appropriately.
Old 05-16-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

Shoreside lights can be quite a hindrance to spotting buoys and other vessels. Sorta like trying to pick out the running lights on a cruise ship. you can figure it out, but not always in time.