Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21
In confined waters, such as the C&D canal, it is quite appropriate for even a small sailboat to make a "securite" call, especially in restricted visibility. "This is sailing vessel 'Emily Marie' southbound at can 32, running just outside the channel, standing by for all concerned traffic", is all that is needed.
I've done this in foggy conditions, and the better sort of party/evening cruise boats do it all the time, particularly when they are leaving their berths and/or entering the two frequently congested fairways into Toronto Harbour.

I rarely hear sailboats making the call, however. I have little evidence to support this impression, but I think people assume it's something commercial vessels are obliged to do, not anyone in a tight situation, particularly a small, white sailboat in fog or mist going down a channel at five knots.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I especially liked the bit in the news article about the "uninflated Zodiac lifeboat" and the daughter's "heavy leather sailing boots". Obviously I need to catch up on new sailing gear.

Odds are someone made a very small simple mistake, and after that we all know what can happen. I think what scares me most about a situation like that, would be being in the water--while props were still turning.
Old 05-16-2007
Senior Moment

RickBowman is an unknown quantity at this point
I have learned to not depend on some other ships radar or some other vessels watch. Often times neither are onboard and or turned on. I rely on my training and expereience to keep safe whilst underway. A 100% of the time vigilant and experienced watch is mandentory on any vessel that I am master of, as I prefer any precious cargo abord to be transported safely to the destination. This is my mindset and has served me well. Even still, I know that there are surprises waiting. "Thar be dragons!"
Old 05-16-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I was off on the build year, it was built in 1950 by BB Crowninshield.

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

I've been on it and it's not too bad, more of a project than I want. I saw the core sample they took from the hull and it was about 3.5" thick and solid. The deck was soft in a couple of places but not too bad. It's been on the market for a while and could be had for less.
Old 05-16-2007

RichH will become famous soon enough
The C&D is part of my home waters and the section of the canal where this accident occurred is somewhat notorious for barges getting out of control by their tugs. This is a dogleg section and a towboat can have an awful time controlling its towed barge with the current at full speed and WITH the direction of travel. About two years ago a tug in the same exact spot lost control of its tow with a following current, eventually capsized/overturned the tug, drowning two (if I remember correctly). Can be Lots of current in the C&D.

This canal is only ~400 ft. wide so there is no need for radar, etc.

I think I saw this boat leave Worton Creek on the upper eastern shore of the Chesapeake miday Sunday. All the docklurkers turned their heads to see its beautiful shear and classic doghouse go by. I hope that they can raise it intact for good/fast repair. Glad no one was hurt.

Last edited by RichH; 05-16-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I am allways sad in my heart when a boat gets destroyed...I am trully sorry for the gentleman that lost his boat and happy they did not lose their lifes.
Old 05-16-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
It's interesting that you mention the securite calls. When we ran down the Delaware in the thick fog we were going from can to can. At times we could see the ships on radar, smell their exhaust, feel the thrumming of their motors and know they were less than a 1/4 mile away, but we couldn't actually see them. I'll post pics in a few days of what it was like. Anyway, everytime we got to the next mark, or I saw a new target on my radar, "Securite, Securite, Securite. This is sailing vessel Pelican outbound just outside the green side of the channel". I was the only person broadcasting securite calls. I was shocked! I knew there were other boats (power and sail) around us, but we were the only ones I heard broadcasting all day! I'd do them on 16 and then repeat on 13. By the way, the tugs liked the "green side of the channel" message since it made it ultimately clear as to exactly where I was.

At one point I heard a tug telling another boat "You may want to do securite calls". I must have done about 50 of them that day.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 05-16-2007

kptmorgan04 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kptmorgan04
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt
It's interesting that you mention the securite calls. When we ran down the Delaware in the thick fog we were going from can to can. At times we could see the ships on radar, smell their exhaust, feel the thrumming of their motors and know they were less than a 1/4 mile away, but we couldn't actually see them. I'll post pics in a few days of what it was like. Anyway, everytime we got to the next mark, or I saw a new target on my radar, "Securite, Securite, Securite. This is sailing vessel Pelican outbound just outside the green side of the channel". I was the only person broadcasting securite calls. I was shocked! I knew there were other boats (power and sail) around us, but we were the only ones I heard broadcasting all day! I'd do them on 16 and then repeat on 13. By the way, the tugs liked the "green side of the channel" message since it made it ultimately clear as to exactly where I was.

At one point I heard a tug telling another boat "You may want to do securite calls". I must have done about 50 of them that day.
you are a very prudent mariner there labatt! Glad you made it through safely... about 3 weeks and counting for me, hopefully the weather will be working in my favor
Old 05-17-2007
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
I always give tugs, barges, freighters and anything a lot bigger than me a wide berth - you can't argue the rules of navigation from your grave.

I routinely cruise the canal and the upper bay and have never had a problem. My only bad experiences have been from large cruisers who ignore the short no wake zone about 1/2 mi west of the RT213 bridge.

Last edited by administrator; 05-18-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-17-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator
I always give tugs, barges, freighters and anything a lot bigger than me a wide berth - you can't argue the rules of navigation from your grave.
That's what I like to call "The Big Boat Rule", ie. the one with the biggest boat rules!