Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H
Alex,

Just out of curiousity, What was your point in asking this question?

Jeff
Hi Jeff, just curious really, trying to see how and what you guys use there, to comapre with us here, but ..its not working the way I wanted. Thanks for the answers so far. Here we use the spinnaker a lot, specially if you are sailing from Cascais to Lisbon in the afternoon...or the other way around in the morning.

I was expecting people to say, I have such and such spinnaker, on a boat like such, because I sail like such, I hoist it with a sock or no sock, I attach the pole before then the guy or I attach the guy then the mast, I have a mast track or not..I use it when I cruise, I don't use it when I cruise..I tack with two poles or with double sheet method..then based on the answers I would devolp my questions ...oh well...

Thanks for your answer, anyway
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2007
leave blank

EscapadeCaliber40LRC is on a distinguished road
The other day on the way back from St. Thomas, I threw up a couple of little guys in light airs so not much umph!...

On my big spi, I use a sock and pole, and only for down win running, no turns.

Last edited by EscapadeCaliber40LRC; 05-20-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-20-2007

Sabre66 is on a distinguished road
ok G here's the rest of the story. Single lines, no sock, we do stop it in very heavy air, I dont cruise I only race, 1" track with ring on mast, T/L,Halyard through clutches,hoist behind main, douse behind main, end for end jibe.
all lines led aft through turning blocks, guy through snatch block, sheet through snatchblock when dead down wind in a blow.
Old 05-21-2007

Blue Eagle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Blue Eagle
Flying a symmetrical on a Ted Brewer "Douglas 32" a-like

Hi Giulietta,

Not that it's that relevant due to major differences in our boat builds and equipment, but for what it's worth here's my way of doing it... bear in mind that my halyards terminate at the mast, I don't have any rope clutches, and I don't have an autopilot and you'll see why I like to have three people on board to throw the garish sail up...

I have a symmetrical spinnaker which I launch from a bag on the foredeck to leeward of the No.1 genoa. I use single lines either side and snap the guy into the jaws of the pole (which by now is clamped onto the sliding ring on the mast track, and resting on the pulpit to weather of the forestays) before topping the pole, launching the spinnaker and then adjusting first guy then sheet, followed by the pole downhaul.

I gybe it end-for-end collecting the old sheet in the jaws before releasing the guy, reattaching the pole on the mast (back-to-front, if you will) and re-setting both new guy and new sheet on the new tack.

To drop, I hoist the genoa inside the spinnaker, head up, ease the guy and lower the pole onto the pulpit, then have a crewmember recover the sail from behind the leech of the genoa and beneath the boom of the main, stuffing it down the main hatch as I lower away on the halyard.

The guy and sheet run right the way aft, through turning blocks attached to the toerail, and round two single-speed non-self-tailing winches before being cleated off on either side of the cockpit.

In Hong Kong's fluky winds you really want one guy to launch, one guy to trim and one guy to steer, as you trim by sitting on the pushpit rail with the sheet in one hand and the guy in the other!

Fair winds and plenty of 'em!

Blue Eagle

Last edited by Blue Eagle; 05-21-2007 at 06:33 AM.