Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
How do YOU fly your spi?

OK, for a while now I have been wanting to ask you guys this question, just so I can see how the different people do their thing, and how different each one is. Spinnaker flying is almost like a preference thing, I think.

How do YOU fly your Spinaker??, what winds, how do you pole it (type of pole, attachment at mast, up haul location), what spis you have, how you gybe, do you use it when cruising, do you use barber hauls etc.

Please include as much as you can, ok? do you have a sock or a bag, do you start with the pole in place and lead the sheets and hauls, do you hois and pole after...how do you hoist it..etc.

Please only serious answers (just this once, ok??).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
I'll tell you how the boat I used to race on does it. These guys were idiots but they were fun idiots.

It's an old Jboat, so to make them feel like they had a new jboat with one of those extendable carbon fiber sprits they lashed an old spinaker pole to bow sticking out about 4 feet. at least they have the good sense to put a downstay on it, but still manage to break it just about every time out. Then they rig an asymetrical, they put the sheet outside the front stay, but _inside_ the spinnaker itself, so basically inside jibe. I have no idea why they don't outside jibe, it's soooo much easier (as long as you dont' sail over the lazy sheet. heh), but hey, I just do what they say and have fun making jokes to myself about their incompetence. The bag is pulled out of the locker when ready to go and velcrod to the bow pulpit if I remember properly, when it's time it's hoisted from the mast as fast as possible. Dowsing is the 'new guy does it' method of chasing it all over and stuffing it down the hatch while everyone else shouts encouragement and ridicule and blames him for losing the race. (did I mention these guys are idiots)

Usually the 'bow sprit' breaks though, then anything can happen, usually something bad. No-one has died yet though to my knowledge.
Old 05-18-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Okay - serious huh ? Well - I don't race much anymore, so if I use the spinnaker, it is usually in lighter winds, when we are feeling energetic enough, and I have a crew memebr on board who is fairly competent. Had a barebones arrangement on the last boat - tri-radial chute, halyard, snuffer, sheet, guy and combination whisker/spinnaker pole (telescopic). Topping lift for the pole, on a bridle - not an eye on the pole itself.

Like to jibe in an end-for end pass-thru fashion (I think most people do this).

When we hoist, we attach the pole to the lift and the adjustable mast eye, leaving the end of the pole on the deck. Then we hoist the chute quickly about 3/4 of the way, attach the pole and then finish hoisting and trimming. For jibing we just detach the pole from the mast - attach it to the sheet and hook the other end on to the mast (hopefully as the boat is turning, but we have been known to screw this up occasionally ).

This new boat we just got has a few more control options on it, but truth be told - I doubt that we'll ever use them, unless we decide to get serious about a club race or something.

I find that I am using the chute less and less, as I get older and lazier. I also don't like to use them on a reach unless there is an experienced crew aboard, and I am finding I don't much like having people with me on the boat any more...

Last edited by Sailormann; 05-18-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-18-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
I should mention that I don't even have a wisker pole on my own boat (the spinaker and pole are currently in the shop). So for wing on wing I just send some neophyt to lean out from the shrouds with the boat hook. ;P

When they question me I say, 'oh ya, that is how all the pros do it.'
Old 05-19-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I'll let you know. I have a cruising asymmetrical I only used twice on the old boat and I want to try it on the new boat (similar mast height but five feet more in the J measurement, so it may not work properly. On the other hand, I now have a big bowsprit on which I can snap on a nice block for a proper tack downhaul. If I can use it, I will, as it cost me $3,000 and I don't want the old boat's babysitter to have it (he can use my real spinnaker!)
Old 05-19-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I have only symetrical chutes, I have an old 3/4 oz that I use for cruising and a new 1/2 oz that I use for racing. At this point I only race my boat in single-handed and double-handed races.

Whether single-hand or with crew, I will throw up the chute if I have more than a couple miles to go downind pretty much in anything less than 16 knots true. I use a conventional aluminum pole that I end for end and frankly find a single-hand jibe with a symetrical chute less risky than jibing an assymetrical alone.

I don't believe in using spinnaker socks. It is a reliablity thing since I am generally shorthanded and can't afford to risk having to deal with a jambed sock or a wrap. I raise from the leeward rail behind the jib and do a 'flag' drop behind the mainsail and down into the main companionway.

I use single guys and sheets. I use snatch blocks on the rail for the 'twings' which I can run back to winches, however I rarely rig the twings when cruising or daysailing. Instead I simply place the guy in the snatch block.

To jibe I turn roughly 170 deg off the true wind on my current tack and set the autopilot. I square the pole and ease the sheet. The proper settings for the sheet and guy are marked on both sheets and the sheet and guy are set to those positions. I ease the topping lift a couple inches and then I walk forward down the leeward side of the boat putting the sheet into the twing snatch block as I pass it. Once forward I jibe the pole leaving the chute free flying. Depending on the windspeed, in light air I will grab the boom and push it over as I walk aft. In heavier air I will hit the autopilot 20 degrees to leeward and as the boat swings, jibe the mainsail. I then remove the sheet from the twing snatch block and then I come to course and adjust the guy, then sheet to the new course. Lastly I re-tention the pole lift and foreguy. Its not exactly a racing jibe but it is much faster than it sounds here.

Jeff
Old 05-19-2007

Sabre66 is on a distinguished road
Pole is attached to mast at the start of the race, launch bag on bow(unless it's really rough) with guy and sheet attached,guy through jaws assuming starboard tack down hill. As we approach w/w mark we take in a few turns on the furler to avoid wrapping the spin halyard when we hoist.Then we raise the pole into position. At one boat length we come in hot and start to hoist while cheating the luff of the chute out to the pole at the same time. i usually let the head fly about 18" from the mast to make sure the jib doesn't get fouled when we finish furling.The guy is always through a snatch block on the rail and If I'm dead downwind in a blow I'll run the sheet through a snatch block to help minimize sail oscillations.
Our j is 9'6" so we end for end. Both lines through snatch blocks.We head close to d/dw detach the pole from mast ,Clip onto sheet, I call for slack on the sheet(at this point main is jibed) push pole out to new Guy side, release the old Guy bring Pole to mast clip in and yell "Made". At this point we usually remove the sheet from the snatch block.
Old 05-19-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
On my last boat (my new boat doesn't have a spinnaker yet) I used an asymmetric with a dousing sock. No pole or other stuff. I would fly the chute when the apparent wind was 10 kts or less, the AWA was 65 degrees or higher, and I would be heading in that direction for at least 2 hours.

For daysailing I used it on the way back (we usually beat upwind to start then sail downwind home) and for cruises (not many and not too long) whenever we had suitable weather.

Last year, on the return from Northport (NY) to Mt. Sinai we flew it for 5 hours (mostly the entire way).

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
On my boat, I have a screacher that is set on a roller furling unit on the 4' bowsprit. Very easy to deploy and use... A lot of fun in lighter winds...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-19-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Alex,

Just out of curiousity, What was your point in asking this question?

Jeff