Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Bummer. I'm sure you were excited about starting your blue water experience but what if the guy had managed to get that jury rigged POS in the water before you got there? Would you have inspected all those problem areas? Would you have known all the corners that had been cut that were potential disasters waiting to happen?

I'd say you got off lucky, not leaving the safety of land with this guy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
You're one of those "learn the hard way" kinda guys, eh? There was a bridge for sale floating around in one of the other threads. Sorry man, I feel for ya, honestly, but now you know better.

Vaya con Dios
Old 05-22-2007

toddrtownsend is on a distinguished road
Just wanting it.

Kap, I completely understand wanting it so badly that you get immersed.

Sorry about the lesson. I've learned a few that way too. The next one will be great. I agree about getting your own boat, but I also hope, if you get a chance to crew again, you'll take it. Life's too short to change what your doing because of one a$$hole.

TrT
Old 05-22-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies and words of comfort lol.

Yes - actually, my first instinct was to get the hell out of there, the only reason why I stayed was because there were already two crew members on board, and after talking with them, it all seemed we were in the same "boat", and that we could actually get this thing to do the job.

As for the boat, it really wasn't a POS. It was just torn apart on the inside because of the needed room for engine instalation. the boat was built for offshore sailing and it looked great for the job.

The captain, I will not post his name or the boat's name, but hint, you can find it on the "wanted crew" section in sailnet where I was recruited if you really want to.

The situation was a little more complicated than to say he was just an *******, just a very disorganized person. He also had some personal problems at the time which probably contributed to this mess.

I would go to sea with him any day still, he's a very experienced captain, but a very poor organizer.

labat, The marine we were in was Kingston, Roundout Yacht Basin.

Eitherway, I was pissed off, and it was a nightmare of an experience

Kacper

Giu - Sure, I'll come. But I request 3 meals a day, along with regular entertainment
Old 05-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Kacper--

Being on a boat with Giu will provide plenty of entertainment... he might even do an encore of the boom incident for ya.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-23-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Kacper
Home safe, that’s the best news.
Now did I mention I might have a spot for a sail in the Pacific shortly.
When you get here I might need to, lets see, re varnish all the teak and maybe some blister work before we head off. ONLY JOKING.
I would have walked away but sometimes we feel obligated.
Maybe its just me, but how could an owner of a boat expect non payed or paid for that matter, crew members supply man hours to improve his capital improvements.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 05-23-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Bummer, Kacper, but you're not the first to be burned that way, and likely not the last either.

Some time ago some sailing friends flew to Florida (from Vancouver) for a similar adventure, and ended up having the same experience you did - 2 weeks slave labour getting the boat into shape (or trying to ) only to - wisely - walk away in the end.

All in all it's a lesson learned. I was tempted before to tell you the tale above in detail, but thought, maybe this one will work.... and didn't want to rain on your parade.

When you get home, drop me a PM and we'll take you sailing and ease you back into things...
Old 05-23-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog
uspirate,
who's that on your deck?
Sailhog, thats the Admiral, boss and even though not wearing any, the one that thinks shes wears the pants in the family

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM

Last edited by uspirate; 05-23-2007 at 03:17 AM.
Old 05-23-2007

nightowle is on a distinguished road
What?.......you don't like oily Chinese food?!! It sounds like just another day where I work. Disorganization to the max and nothing works....but at least it's not on a boat. Glad you dodged the bullet, though. Hopefully, you'll get some good Karma for helping your erstwhile captain out. And thanks for posting your story.....it was a good read, for sure. Keep your eyes on the horizon!
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Old 05-23-2007

equitiman is on a distinguished road
Worthwhile

...Sorry K that really really sucks. Not much else to say. Perhaps another part of the silver lining is that you got a crash course in boat maintenance...now when you need to work on your "someday" boat you will have some practice under your belt...