Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Cam,

Sorry to hear you're swallowing the anchor. I guess you will keep your hand in around the Outer Banks though. Good luck in your new ventures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2007

awhalen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to awhalen
Not really swollowing the anchor. The plan has always been:

Sell big house in Leesburg, downsize to townhouse - Done
Get a land base house - Lynns desire, not mine - Done
Sell out and leave Virginia - house on market
Two more years of work -
Go Sailing

Where are you now and what are you doing?
Old 05-23-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Cam,

Thanks for the account of the trip, and thanks for making a stupid mistake (and telling us). YOU ARE HUMAN!!!!! [Note -- have made same mistake myself!]

I made the same run in 2001 when I did a Delmarva circumnavigation in my former boat, a Pearson 27. But I did it over a couple of days -- Norfolk to D-ville, then to Solomons, then to Naptown. Had one fellow as crew (70 years old, but he was a great sailor.)

I also made an overnight run from D-ville to Naptown when I bought my P-33-2 in the fall of 2003. Had one crew on the trip, which was enough but we were tired! The worst part of that one was pulling into Annapolis at 4 AM in a thick fog. We used the chart plotter to get us to a place we could anchor on the Severn until it cleared up some. We got some sleep and when we awoke, the fog was mostly gone. We had brunch at Buddy's there at city dock, and suddenly could see the fog rolling back in. We still had to get up to the Patapsco so we went to the boat and set out for the bay bridge on the assumption the fog would be less on the bay proper. Wrong assumption. Fog was so thick we could hear the traffic on the bay bridge but couldn't see the bridge until we were almost under the center span. Quite an interesting time. Fortunately the fog did lift shortly after that.

Gotta love the Chesapeake.

Sorry about selling Big Cam, but it is good to know that you plan to buy something smaller down the road with shoal draft. Might I entice you to buy something with a wing keel?????

Next time I'm in Naptown I'll check on your boat for you at Port Annapolis.

Thanks for thinking of me when you passed Thomas Point Light!

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 05-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Mitch...hehe...thought you'd enjoy being immortalized and I really DID think of you as we passed it! (G)
Old 05-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One good thing about that particular mistake is that it is overestimating the distances involved rather than under.

While getting there in the dark is somewhat troublesome, it is far better than having calculated a trip in statue miles, only to find out that the distances were in nautical miles—which could leave you short of fuel, food and water on a longer passage. Also, it could leave you stuck out in a predicted storm, since you could still be on-passage, when your faulty calculations told you would be safely at your destination.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-24-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
SailorMitch - you had to mention Buddy's... jeez... between brunch at Buddy's, lunch at Chick and Ruth's and dinner at Joss Cafe and Sushi a couple of blocks up.. I'm going to miss my bi-monthly trips to Annapolis to work on our boat. And now I'm just really hungry.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 05-24-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Labatt --

Picking up a mooring in Annapolis is one of my all time favorite things to do. It's about a 4 hour sail from where I keep my boat off the Patapsco, so I do get down there a lot. Breakfast at Chick and Ruth's and saying the pledge of allegiance with the entire restaurant isn't to be missed. Last time I did that, former Governor Marvin Mandel was in his special booth and put his hand over his heart along with the rest of us.

I need to track down the sushi place. Is that the one right next to Ego Alley (hole in the wall place), or is it up Main Street?

Thanks!

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 08-28-2007

kptmorgan04 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kptmorgan04
hey cam, just saw you were selling your boat when I was trying to learn about Norfolk. I bought my boat through Bernie. Quite the character, but I must say he did good work for me and got me a great boat and helped me a long the way as it was my first purchase. Did your boat sell? sorry if this was answered in another post.
any recommendations for either a mooring or marina in the norfolk area for just a night in mid fall?
Old 08-28-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
KPT...no action on the boat yet..just dropped the price a bit in hopes of more attention. Yes...a character...but he knows cruising boats and specializes in them which is why I chose him. Hopefully it will all work out.

As to Norfolk...you can anchor right at mile 0 of the ICW off of hospital point. It can get a little bumpy but many southbound cruisers stop here.
Adjacent to the anchorage is Tidewater Yacht Agency marina and they are a good marina with everything you need. They run a ferry every 20 minotes across the river to the Norfolk Waterside mall and other attractions so that is quite convenient. Are you headed south for the winter?
Old 08-28-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
What a boat...i just got on the brokerage's website to check it out. It's like my dream boat man...will you take a trade for an old Southern Cross.....what if i throw in my Camaro, and old motorcycle, jetski, and a lifetime supply of duct tape and blue tarps. How lond did you spend cruising her?