SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

fuel tank const..

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  firemanbob 
#1 ·
I was thinking about replaceing the fuel tank in my 1975 pearson 30. The atomic four was replaced with a Yan-Mar 2GM20. The tank is origonal and looks Galvinized. An old salt I talked to said that it looks like Monell. Does any one know??

#4 ·
We had to pull our engine to get the tank out also. We wanted to pull the tank to get to the bilge under the tank where there was numerous years collection of oil and thick grime, who knows what(?). We had discovered the "mucky stuff" during the survey. Removing the tank and engine gave us the opportunity to have the diesel gone through and freshened, have the tank properly cleaned (it was full of gelled fuel and miscellaneous yuk), gelcoat the bilge under the tank, replace the tank supports (we made new tank supports with much larger limber holes) and prepare the engine room for new wiring. If you do pull your monel tank and have it cleaned and /or repaired, be sure to have the cleaning holes and/or repairs properly welded shut. Hinckley supplied us with the correct materials to have our welder close up the tank. I understand that you must use monel plates welded with a special rod meant for monel.

Snap

#5 ·
Snap old chap, Good to hear from you.. I too am redoing my engine spaces. I have desided to leave the fuel tank in place. In my "30" the tank sits up hill slightly from the engine and every thing is quite clean and dry. The engine mounts however were really torn up when they replaced the Atomic-4 engine with the Yan-Mar. It looked like it was fitted with an axe. I need to reshape and reglass the stringers. Mean while I''ve been cleaning and sanitizing that whole section of the bilge where the engine lay. My goal is to make it better than new. Plan to paint that area a real light color, maybe white. Just a Month or so ago I had a fuel scrubber do the tank and am very happy with the results. every thing else about the tank looks good so I desided to leave it be.. Thanks for the note old boy and GOOD sailing. firemanbob

#6 ·
firemanbob,

Aha, the old "if it ain''t broke, don''t fix it" ploy. Good to hear things in the engine room and tank department are progressing smoothly. I think I know the apes who worked on your engine mounts - a traveling band of renegade stink-potter plumbers who don''t think us rag-packers should enjoy our iron gennys and are determined to cause us as much grief as possible. FWIW, Interlux makes a very nice enamel for the bilge. It is appropriately called Bilgekote and drys overnight to a lovely pale gray, easy to apply with a throw-away brush, little fumes and prep was only a washdown with a bit of soap and a good rinse with a waterhose. We had gelcoated some of our bilge white but overpainted it with the Bilgekote because we wanted it to match the rest of the inside of the hull that Hinckley had painted gray. Sounds like you''re doing it the right way. BTW, if you''re a fireman (as your pen name suggests) please let me thank you for all the good work you guys do. Sometimes we take a lot of services we''ve grown to expect for granted and forget to or just don''t take the time to pay respect to those who provide those services. Thank you.
Snap

#7 ·
Snap ol chap--- good to hear from you again. Yes, after 27 1/2 years on the job I retired a few months ago. A firemans work can be rough on the body and it took it''s toll on me. I desided to retire while I was still able to function. Before I took the big step I desided to find a sail boat, and after months of study I purchased the 30 ft. Pearson. I have been a power boater all my life. I served a hitch in the Coast Guard, on small boats and have owned one ever sence.
I''ve lost my interest in speed and have always admired passing sailboats along the Florida coast. I think I made one of the best moves of my life. It''s been nonstop work but I''ve loved every minute of it. A real labor of love.. Hope to have things finished in a few months so I can sail of into the sunset.. Stay in touch..
firemanbob {ret.}

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.