Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2002

JerryO39 is on a distinguished road
Fastest boats ...30 to 35 foot range.

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone new which of the smaller size 30 to 35''ish size boats are the fastest.I know alot depends on the skill of the crew,but I am generally speaking of fast as in hull design and racing.

Thanks,
Jerry O
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy, JerryO39, first off the simple answer is my 27'' yawl built in 1963 for the simple reason that I do not believe any other vessel in the size range you note would sail very well at all after my bowsprit pokes a hole in em at the starting line ,of anyone silly enough to challange my claim to be the fastest. Next if speed is your cup of tea only a catamaran can compete so whats your point? Monohull racing vessel are all slow in comparison to almost anything else on earth except mabye walking on water which in case you didn''t know I can do also!!! Big Red 56 the Pirate of Pine Island.
Old 02-09-2002

I was just curious BR56,some of these boats look very sleek,I know cats can be very fast also(as fast as the wind on some of the giants),but capsize one and thats all she wrote.I recently read of a loss of one off Cape Hateras.
I know sailboats are slow vessels.I hope soon to sail to the Bahamams and then slowly go south from there in a small sailboat(30-35''ish feet long) on an open ended cruise(singlhanded) to where ever the wind takes me.Maybe a J35 or similar,I will decide soon.
The J34c is really nice but they are few and far between.
JerryO
Old 02-09-2002

I was just curious BR56,some of these boats look very sleek,I know cats can be very fast also(as fast as the wind on some of the giants),but capsize one and thats all she wrote.I recently read of a loss of one off Cape Hateras.
I know sailboats are slow vessels.I hope soon to sail to the Bahamams and then slowly go south from there in a small sailboat(30-35''ish feet long) on an open ended cruise(singlhanded) to where ever the wind takes me.Maybe a J35 or similar,I will decide soon.
The J34c is really nice but they are few and far between.
JerryO
Old 02-09-2002

I hit the post button twice,sorry. :-(

Old 02-09-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

That is a bit of a tough question and one that would be easier to ask if I knew where you are coming from. If you mean just plain maximum speed, there are 30 foot semi-custom foilers that hit outrageous speeds well up in the mid-20 knot range. These are one trick ponies that really do nothing but go fast.

Then there are the current crop of high perforance trimarrans which are very fast, for boats that also offer some accommodations, offering speeds well up in the high teens.

In the case of monohulls there is a new 30 foot carbon fiber tripple trapeze one design that I saw a write up on. I would suspect that will be as fast as any of the current crop of 30 foot monohulls.

More conventional (and older designed) monhulls that are quite quick would include the Mumm 30, Melges 30, Carrara 29, One Design 35 and one design race boats of that ilke.

But fast does not mean competitive because ratings come into play when you go racing and ratings treat some boats fairer than others.

On the other hand if you are actually looking for a fast boat that can also be cruised, that opens an entirely different discussion if you see what I mean.

Regards
Jeff

Old 02-10-2002

thorsten is on a distinguished road

check out the Corsairs Trimarans. They are indeed very very fast. Kind of a little small for live aboard fer sure. And they are super expensive as well. However seem to hold the value ( actually seems that the 24 I was looking for were cheaper new 10 years ago as the used ones today .... )

Thorsten
Old 02-10-2002

paulk is on a distinguished road

If you like the J/35 and J/34, you should try to find a J/36. They''re fractionally rigged, so singlehanding would be easier with the smaller jib and easily reefed main. They share many of the same good features of the J/35 -- solid construction techniques, good looks and sensible design -- but have a nicer cruising interior and a bit less draft - a good thing if you''re headed to the Bahamas. J/36''s also price out at about half what a beat J/35 goes for, because they''re not as well known. (About forty were built.) If you''re hot for speed, you should know that we''ve also managed to beat J/35''s boat for boat with our "older, slower" J/36, much to their consternation.
Happy sailing!
Old 02-16-2002
sailor

ndsailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ndsailor

If all I wanted to do was go "fast" I wouldn''t be sailing....
Old 03-09-2010

jorapazu is on a distinguished road
Hello Jeff H
"ratings treat some boats fairer than others". Could you expand on this point?.