Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
I recall a recent ad or article for a radio with a difital memory that can instantly playback whatever was just broadcast. At the time I was thinking about how useful it would be for that exact situation. Although it would be good if the info was repeated, in the meantime I keep a scratch pad and pencil close at hand when on watch for recording pertinent details of distress calls although I still sometimes miss the lat/long!
Anyone know about the radio I saw? I can't remember who made it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Cobra just released the new VHF's that can play back twenty seconds (I believe) of the last transmission. 20 seconds is a long time.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 05-31-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
If anyone else believes this is an issue...pls. confirm right here with a post so that BoatUS and the CG may see that this is more than just a couple of whiners...and we might actually save some lives and boats!
I agree 100%.

Last weekend heard several transmissions in which the radio operator sounded as if he had marbles in his mouth. Could not understand a single word he said. Also, he was not speeking into the mic. The background noise was more audioable than his voice was.

It is a problem and apperently it is Nation wide.

I also agree that we have to radio back for more info if we didn't get it the first time. "CG,Please repeat. We didn't fully understand your last transmission."

Something, anything to that effect. The radio works both ways.
If 16 is busy, than they will probably ask you to switch to 22A.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-31-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Be heard @: USCG: Contact Us
Old 05-31-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Message sent...
Old 05-31-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1
Last weekend heard several transmissions in which the radio operator sounded as if he had marbles in his mouth.

Oh that's just great - hiring a guy who does not speak properly for a rescue\distress channel - like having a cook with no hands, or a singer who chain smokes - WTF?????
Old 06-01-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Cam- glad to hear you and others agree that this is a serious problem , we thought it was just us. Please keep me informed if you hear from the CG and I will do the same, I am going to contact the local and district office as recommended by USCGRET1990 (thanks). The problem seems so obvious and the solution seems so simple I am surprised that the CG hasn't changed their procedures already. I hope everyone that reads this thread will post a reply - even just to say "I agree", Cam is right that in order for anything to happen they will want to see "numbers".

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-01-2007
Courtney the Dancer

I contacted the Marine Safety Office for the 13th Dist. USCG in Seattle and asked who I should talk to about CG radio procedures. I was explaining what I was trying to do, and why, at some length when another person broke into the conversation and said "I'm Petty Officer ----------- and do I understand that you want the USCG to change it's national radio procedures, just for you?" I responded that, no, not just for me but for all boaters in distress and all boaters that would like to be able to assist those in distress. He changed his tune immediately and became very helpful and gave me a number to call in Virginia for the USCG headquarters. Unfortunately, it turned out the number was for an engineering dept. that has nothing to do with the radio procedures and the fellow there said that he had no access to ANY phone numbers at Headquarters? I then called the CO 13th Dist. office and someone there said that they would have to try to find a number of someone that could help me and they will call me back. Could be a long process, I'll keep at it and report back on any progress. If anyone has any contacts at the CG, I'd appreciate it if you would PM me. Thanks, John

Old 06-01-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
Questions:

Is a change in "radio procedures" really needed to obtain an understandable transmission in the native language?

If it is just a matter of asking the USCG station for clarification in the interests of aiding in rescue, what is the reticence about making a plain request for same? I thought that the purpose of marine radios was communication.

There are no perfect radio operators in or out of the USCG.
Old 06-01-2007
Courtney the Dancer

Goodnews- According to the USCG, apparently (can't even get a definitive answer to that yet) the answer to your question is yes, a change would be required to state the location twice during the initial broadcast and to then follow up with a reference to the closest well known location if possible. Instead of having to call them back to ask for the location doesn't it make sense that they announce it twice so you don't have to call while they are handling an emergency? It seems that a lot of us have the same frustration with the way the CG gives the location so why not try to suggest a way to improve it for everyone? A few minutes may not seem like much, unless you are in the 40-50 degree water we have around here (Puget Sound) where 30 minutes is the average time before you die of hypothermia.