Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
If having a radio operator say positions twice as has been suggested will do the trick, then by all means go for it.

You guys are probably just a lot faster with the pencil and paper than I usually am. I'll probably have to go with (spoken very quickly) "say again position, over."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2007

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
GOODNEWS
Quote:
I thought that the purpose of marine radios was communication
. That's eaxctly the point of this thread. I could not agree more with Cam. I have called the CG in the past when a PAN PAN or SECURITE might effect me. The thing is I should not have to. My primary complaints are they speak too quickly and they do not enunciate.
Old 06-03-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
ebs,
If you start using words like "enunciate" with them you are never going to establish communications. lol
Old 06-03-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
I forgot to mention, another way to (definetly) motivate your local USCG, is for them to get a call from a state senator.
Old 06-08-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
Now there's a great way to improve communications; get a politician involved. A panic stricken USCG admiral is probably more dangerous than most things we encounter at sea. Who knows what might be done.

As for the politician, we'll end up paying a tax on radiotelephone usage to "fund" the training of USCG radio operators. Don't worry, the money will be earmarked.
Old 06-08-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
At this point I would take any help I can get, even from a politician (anyone have any good contacts?). Haven't been able to put much(any) time into it this week, but hope to get back on the phone to try and find out who to contact. I haven't heard a word from the two CG employees who were going to get back to me with that info., didn't really expect to, they didn't sound too encouraging about anything getting changed "for a bunch of sailboaters". When and if I make any progress I'll post it here, don't hold your breath:-))

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-08-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
I sure hope you guys try really hard to get some answers. I'd really like to stay out of it. I tend to go ballistic, which raises my already high Bp. But I'll do it if I have to. I think what you all are saying holds alot of merit and needs to be addressed.
Old 06-09-2007

ScuzzMonkey is on a distinguished road
I'm coming to the thread a bit late, but just wanted to say I wholeheartedly agree--just encountered this problem (again) yesterday, with a SECURITE call from Sector Seattle regarding an obstruction to navigation. Apparently it was prominent--they made a point of mentioning that several ships had reported it--but they rattled off the coordinates once and only once, before I could get the volume knob up and my hand on paper and pencil. Wouldn't take hardly anything to repeat such basic info, and would save a lot of trouble and confusion in the long term... and maybe a few lives.
Old 06-10-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I was up in BC yesterday running around looking for areas to go prawning(since they closed it here in WA) and couldn't help but notice the difference between the USCG radio announcements and the Canadian CG. We listened to a tense interchange from CG Port Angeles and a Mayday from a woman reporting 5 people in the water near Sucia Island. Another boater eventually got all five onboard safely. We also heard several broadcasts from Victoria CG during the day. The difference between the US and Canadian broadcasts was like night and day. US was a very young sounding man who talked very fast, did not articulate, and acted flustered during the Mayday. We were able to determine the location because there were many transmissions and we could hear both ends. By contrast, all of the Canadian transmissions (not the same Mayday at Sucia) were very easy to understand, they spoke slowly and clearly(woman's voice), and remained very professional even when the boater was a bit frantic. We did have better reception from Victoria, but that wasn't the problem. Maybe it was a fluke, but the Canadian CG broadcasts always seem to be easier to understand now that I think back on it, anyone else notice this? Maybe it is a training/experience issue with the USCG?

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-10-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
I beleive that Yotphix was referring to this: "Last Call connects to your VHF radio and makes it simple to replay the last transmission received. Never miss another transmission or having to ask for a repeat message" Last Call VHF Radio Recorder/Playback | Marine Communications | Marine Computers | Captn. Jack's

Looks handy - too bad that there is a market for this...