Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Talking Jeesh! What a weekend!

Took Momma and the boat camping and sailing the whole weekend.

Sat:

I get to the campground and go to launch the boat. What's this? A tree over the ramp? Nice, launch the boat and rig it in the water, not recommended. Ok, now I just need to sail her 200' to windward and beach her (no motor). Nice, wind 15-20 directly from where I need to go, no problem. I get her out in the channel, drop the keel and set the rudder, go for'ard to make sail. Uh oh, the clevis clip is missing from the jib so I can't anchor the tack so, no jib. The main gets stuck halfway up and off we go (me and the recaltrant boat) downwind. Ok, so I'll sail a mile around that headland and get out of the wind. I manage to get there and hide so I can rig a piece of wire for the jib and get the main up. Cool, Momma's calling my cell wondering where I am. "On the way Dear". I sail out of the hole, get hard over to 30* and haul butt. It turns out to be a half dozen tacks at hull speed on a wild ride to get her back (sorry about the wake in the no wake zone guys...) but I spin her to windward as I get right to the beach for a perfect docking. So, we do Dinner, very nice, good fire and go freeze out butts off until morning while it rains (where'd that come from).

Sun: I wake up and two boats are gone from our little storm but mine's sitting there patiently. We run off to IHOP (To wet and cold to cook) and get a nice thick blanket to supplement the thin ones. One of my Daughters, a Son and two grandkids show up at Noon and wanna go sailing. The wind is up around 20-30 again out of the SW which means a downhill run out of the bay. Off we go for one of the best and fastest sails I've had in a while. The waves on the lake were up to 2-3 feet (big lake) and we where surfing on them as they came in off the quarter. We were very fast and the jet skis just slowly went by as they passed instead of blasting by. Halfway down we decided to head back and literally beat hard all the way back. Another perfect docking and the chillin's were off. Two of the nicest T-Bone's later, chased by some good Kauai coffee and it was off to a warm, toasty sleep.

Mon: After cooking our breakfast (yes, I can cook) I'm eyeballing the boat and the wind thinking it'd be more fun to take the truck and trailer to the other end of the lake and sail her there (no trees on the ramp). I manage to talk Momma into it and we take my rig over, drop it and come back. Leaving her rig at the camp, we pile on and launch. The nice SW wind pushes us gently out into the middle of South Bay and leaves us there, no wind, nada, zip. The sun comes out as we bob along and we start pealing off rain gear, sweats etc. Finally, Momma snags a paddle and starts paddling. We see some wind coming as it has changed direction and we keep paddling in that direction. Finally! Wind its and we're off but now the wind is dead on the nose from where we wanna go. We shoot through the channel between some islands and hit a BIG hole again. So, for 30 miles we slogged and beat in 3-10 knots winds. A couple of nice, fast looking race boats came out to play and got schooled by my little old boat. We beat them up and down, no matter the wind, they just couln't hang. I figured they'd kick my butt as nice and fast as they looked with their new kevlar sails. So, eight hours and probably 60 miles later, we pull up to the dock as the wind dies, recover and derig the boat, snatch her rig and go home.

Synopsis: Man! I need a vacation from my vacation. I'm sore all over, must be gettin' old or somethin'.

PS: The race boats were 24-27 footers with frac rigs and the Omega symbol on their mains. I don't know what they were but they were pretty.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2007
Poltergeist

poltergeist is on a distinguished road
Wish I'd had some of your wind. I did a half-hour beat up the lake, and a two and a half hour run back after the wind died. Got a lovely shade of red on my legs.

If it makes you feel any less sore, you were giving lessons to two former Olympic-class keelboats ... Solings. Nicely done.

Kurt
Old 05-29-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Cool, not bad for a 1976 Venture 21 with 31 year old sails. I was told they were Solings on another forum and they rate at 150 PHRF. They should've kicked my butt. This is the second time I've tangled with Solings out of that YC and both times, they lost. Thanks Kurt, it does help.

Last edited by CharlieCobra; 05-29-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
...just because folks have a fast boat, doesn't mean they know how to sail it..!! ;-)
Old 05-29-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like a good weekend in comparision to mine.

(Had a 170nm cruise planned over three days. No wind the entire time. Motored and motorsailed all 170nm. Rain off and on the first two days.)

Want to trade?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-29-2007
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
At the risk of sounding like I'm rubbing it in, we had a tremendous day of sailing Sunday on Lake Michigan off of Racine, WI. First time out all year (club volleyball never ends!!!). 15-20 knot winds from the due west and very calm seas. Ran close to hull speed up and down the coast of Wisconsin. Simply wonderful!

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
Old 05-29-2007
On the hard

sailorjk1, at least ya have a motor. I need to replace the old one on mine. Some of that Monday trip was almost unbearable. There's no head or porta-potty on this boat, nada. If ya gotta go, it's a bottle or a bucket. Another thing I need to add. I like the little boat and it surprises people with it's speed but am looking forward to a bigger boat soon. I think what I like most is outrunning folks that like to badmouth MacGregors. They forget that Mac built lotsa proper sailboats before they went to the 26M/X. I just edumicate 'em.
Old 05-29-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
I spent the weekend ( had to work monday anyway) sailing between Vieques and Culebra Puerto Rico with two dykes ( there words). Did some awsome dives but the wind could have been a little better as we were using Mainsail alone. Jib is broken on our borrowed boat...
I had a most awsome weekend!
Tried to attach pics but I dont feel like screwing with resizing down 20 % right now.

Last edited by wildcard; 05-29-2007 at 06:19 PM.