Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007

travler37 is on a distinguished road
Talking Sailboat?

Was raised in Duluth.Fun town then as it is now.
Best way i have found to do it is be 16 again....
Two kids in a 17ft wood canoe with a fuel tank off a truck for a outrigger.Sail was a reworked paracute from Minesota Surplus on Superior street.As were alot of provisions.Remembering 5lb cans of spam for $1.
Mast and Boom were pine cut from the back yard.
Launched off Brighton Beach after suffering from 5th of July hangover.Made the docks for US Steel in Gary,IN 6 weeks later.Called Granpa to pick us up for the truckride home.
Now there is a point to this besides my thinking of a good time.We had nothing and had a good time.And yes,we had a MAP.Two of them.One was ROAD MAP for WI.Other was ROADMAP for MI.Sail and enjoy it.And smile as you call it a thingy/whatchamacallet........
Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2007

km2x is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the PM Feel free to contact me again if you have any specific questions.

There is a ranger 26 that docks right next to me and the owners are actually from the cities as well.

Do you have a trailer to get the boat down to Minnetonka?

What was your previous boat?

Km2x

Duluth, MN
Old 05-31-2007

In regards to Tommyt's post. it isn't 180 miles to a friendly place from whitefish point. Little lake harbor is around the corner and then Grand marais, MI which is a great town and houses lake superior brew co. Also has reserve coasties that run the general store and are quite nice. Like I said. Pick up Bonnie Dahl and have at it.

km2x
Old 06-01-2007

blueranger is on a distinguished road
I don't have a trailer of any sort at the moment, but if I find something I like it's not an issue to get it transported down to Minnetonka. I can have a trailer made for it later.

My previous (and still own it) boat is a Ranger 22. I love everything about the boat except the interior so although I've never been on one I'm hoping the Ranger 26 is more of the same, just in a larger package. Both boats were designed by Gary Mull.

I'm looking for something in the 25' range that is a reasonable compromise between comfort and speed. I recently acquired a sailing partner so I'd like a boat with more room.

I'm still looking. I'm heading to a marina in Afton this weekend to look at some boats. Are there any marinas or brokers up in Duluth you'd suggest I visit that has a good stock of used boats for sale? Going to try to find a place to rent a sailboat this weekend, I can't take the withdrawls anymore. Thanks for the help and the Bonnie Dahl reference. I'll pick that up.

Mike
Old 06-01-2007

I have a great little 27 foot Catalina that needs to have a good home. It has a trailer that is super heavy duty. My wife and I are planning on upgrading sometime soon to a Catalina 34.
Down below there is 5'10'' headroom and a huge cabin. When I bought it I totally stripped down to gelcoat and applied 6 coats epoxy barrier and antifouling. $4000 job
Owner's group is Phenomenal..
I would be persuaded to sell it for a great price. Let me know if you are interested.
If you want me to look around I could let me know what your specs are.
km2x
Old 06-01-2007

VASailor10 is on a distinguished road
Although I have never been to Lake Superior, I have a close friend who fishes in a Grady White (yes power i know) out of Bayfield, WI. He tells me the Apostle Islands are great and works for a local sail charter business. He also tells me Isle Royale is a great place. Since that is sort of on your original plot you may want to stop there.

-Spencer
Old 06-05-2007

MarkMiner is on a distinguished road
Just finished a trip from Chicago to Bayfield, which was awesome. If you have the time, take it and enjoy as many stops along the way as you can. I wish I could have stopped more, but didn't have the time. We did stop in Mackinac which was great. Also really enjoyed the waterway through Houghton-Hancock. As always, watch for good weather and expect it to change quickly.
Old 06-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Mike-

Been on a Ranger 26 several times... I'd have to say that if you like the Ranger 22, you'll like the Ranger 26.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueranger
I don't have a trailer of any sort at the moment, but if I find something I like it's not an issue to get it transported down to Minnetonka. I can have a trailer made for it later.

My previous (and still own it) boat is a Ranger 22. I love everything about the boat except the interior so although I've never been on one I'm hoping the Ranger 26 is more of the same, just in a larger package. Both boats were designed by Gary Mull.

I'm looking for something in the 25' range that is a reasonable compromise between comfort and speed. I recently acquired a sailing partner so I'd like a boat with more room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-05-2007

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Mirage 24.

The Mirage 24 is a great little boat but it is little. I bought one new in 76 and loved it. It is quite strongly built and loves heavy weather. Very stiff but moves along well in the light stuff. Hull is solid glass and I believe the deck is to. I remember installing the speedo and a split back stay and finding that the hull at the speedo location was about 1 inch of solid glass and the transmon was about 7/8".
It came with a standard and a taller rig, always with an outboard.

Gary