Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2002

walt123 is on a distinguished road
Too small for offshore?

Totally depends on your skill level, desire and most importand Physical condition. The smaller the boat the more you get "beat" about in side and the motion is usually much quicker and not plesant for some. If your physically and mentally prepared the boat should be fine. I''m sure it will stand up to the sea much better then you will.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2002

pegleg is on a distinguished road
Too small for offshore?

Hello all & Lee, It;s snowing here in Denver ,soooo thought I''d take time to comment.some time ago i got into west marine website -found west advisor site of coast guard reguierments ,as I have a mac26x ,it was interesting .(STUFF)needed and recommended for boats over 24ft that sail inland lakes- offshore,raceing, and coastal,was very informative. some of the (STUFF) recommended which I don''t have makes me think twice about going on certian (adventuers) without them . safty for my crew is formost. Dreaming and planning is sometimes more then half the fun of sailing, especially if you live in colorado .waiting for summer . My 2cents worth. Pegleg Louis
Old 02-25-2002

lee_1999 is on a distinguished road
Too small for offshore?

Hey Pegleg,

I''m from Colorado too! I live in the Florissant area and usually sail at Lake Dillon. Some good winds there!
Old 02-25-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
Too small for offshore?

if you really want to see what is required of an offshore boat go to www.orc.org
select class 1 monohulls and it will give you the offshore racing councils requirements for any boat in a race or cruising in offshore environments.
one of my crew has a mcgregor and it is a fine boat for protected waters, but i for one would not take it offshore.
i am sure some people will but not me.
eric
Old 02-25-2002

Too small for offshore?

i would have to disagree with you.
i think bigger is better. having been in a fair amount of heavy weather offshore.i find that a small boat is like spindrift in
big weather and a very uncomfortable ride. you get blown all around. while a bigger boat has a greater mass to move and moves more slowly and is much more comfortable. The bigger boat also has more room for stowage and creature comforts.
eric
Old 02-27-2002

pegleg is on a distinguished road
Too small for offshore?

Hi lee-Nice to see others from landlocked areas that are into other forms of getting info on sailing .these pc have really made the world a smaller place. The wife and I try to get up to dillon once a year to celbrate our anniversary in August . If you like contact me via our e-mail at
ebottolfso@aol.com
Regards , Pegleg
Old 03-03-2002

Dana125 is on a distinguished road
Too small for offshore?

I like small boats, too. Own a Westerly 25 and moving up to a Dana 24. Both are on the heavy/moderately heavy displacement side. This does help dampen the "getting thrown about" feeling that small boats can suffer.

Biggest advantage is that these small boats can be single-handed with relative ease, but strong at the same time.

The Westerly doesn''t have an inboard; that''s why I''m moving to the Dana. I want an inboard Diesel for offshore/serious coastal sailing.

If you''re going offshore, even for short trips, I think the strength of the hull and rigging is important. Practice your heavy weather tactics, too. Have a plan and the gear.

On the affordable pocket cruiser side, how about looking at the Westerly 26'' Centaur. It has similar displacement to the Dana, and there were over 2500 made. Great production run.

With a bigger budget, how about a Dana. Danas have made many successful ocean passages, and as a tribute to its success, it''s still in production.

Old 03-03-2002

Dana125 is on a distinguished road
Too small for offshore?

I like small boats, too. Own a Westerly 25 and moving up to a Dana 24. Both are on the heavy/moderately heavy displacement side. This does help dampen the "getting thrown about" feeling that small boats can suffer.

Biggest advantage is that these small boats can be single-handed with relative ease, but strong at the same time.

The Westerly doesn''t have an inboard; that''s why I''m moving to the Dana. I want an inboard Diesel for offshore/serious coastal sailing.

If you''re going offshore, even for short trips, I think the strength of the hull and rigging is important. Practice your heavy weather tactics, too. Have a plan and the gear.

On the affordable pocket cruiser side, how about looking at the Westerly 26'' Centaur. It has similar displacement to the Dana, and there were over 2500 made. Great production run.

With a bigger budget, how about a Dana. Danas have made many successful ocean passages, and as a tribute to its success, it''s still in production.

Old 03-04-2002

Abigail50 is on a distinguished road
Too small for offshore?

Hi - I sail a Halcyon 23'' on the English East Coast and in the English Channel so got interested in this debate.

What did you mean by ''offshore''? One of the restrictions I find, given space/comfort considerations, is that it does take a long time to go places. My longest single trip in this boat has been about 23 hours.To get to France would take at least that, and actually wouldn''t be much fun.

So I do quite a lot of serious coastal sailing, with quite long hops, but things to see, ports of refuge etc, but I can keep going if the sailing is good.

The Halcyon 23 has an inboard engine and a self-draining cockpit, both of which help. She also has a good suite of headsails, giving lots of choice. (I don''t like depending on roller reefing!) I also had reefing points put in for slab reefing; previously she only had on boom roller reefing. This took rather too long (as a scary 15 minutes in the Thames taught me one day!) so I only use it for show.

As you say - there are lots of stories about people doing amazing things in such boats. I suggest the key criteria are
(i) comfort - for all the crew. Can you get comfortable off watch/make a good sustaining meal underway/get to the heads without being sick. If there are lots of noes to this lot, it simply might not be fun!
(ii) sailing experience of you and crew. We all make mistakes, and certainly I learn everytime I step on board. So I do a little bit more than I think I can handle, and go a bit further all the time.

Obviously, you want your boat to be seaworthy (not leaking, not overly tender, proper nav lights etc etc), but these two factors seem to me far more important than a simple assessment of size or hull material.

Good luck and fair winds.

Sarah
Old 03-04-2002

Too small for offshore?

Sarah,
how long would it take to sail from guernsey to La rochelle france at 6 knots?
thanks
eric