Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2002

xavier6162 is on a distinguished road
Crusing -Catalina or Newport?

Iíve come to this site because Iíve been told itís the best place to get advice. My wife has decided that the time is right for me to have my own boat. Here is my problem. Any amount that I spend on a sailboat, I have to also put back into upgrades at home.

No problem. But this means that I have to keep my purchase below 20K. Iíve sailed aboard a lot of very large racing machines to know that I only want a small cursing boat. Small enough to single hand (motoring or sail) which I plan to do a lot of. I''m very much looking forward to enclosed heads and standing headroom, among other benefits of a "proper" cruising boat. It must also be small and stable enough to teach my kids to sail. I''ll be using the boat for weekending and coastal cruising from Baja to the Bay Area.

Iíve looked at several boats but would like options on the Catalina 27 and 30. The Newport 28 and 30. Or on any other boat you feel would be a better fit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road

From what you say the area you want to sail
is from Baja to San Francisco so you must be a Left Coaster.I just reviewed the Feb. Lat.38 boats classified in the 28-31'' size.
There are some nice boats to choose from.
My suggestion since you have some sailing experience is to call the owners of any of the boats listed in your area and go see them and get a trial sail.for your purposes
the degrees of difference will be finite!!
Cost,condition,and how it sails will be more important,then say, will she round the horn toughness!
Old 02-14-2002
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you ask your wife if you could buy dock lines, new sails, bottom paint, diesel etc.? Who does your wife think she is anyway? I''d spend the $40,000 on the boat and send her for a long walk off a short pier!
Old 02-14-2002

xavier6162 is on a distinguished road

I wish I could Denr. But I like sailing better than Jail time.
Old 02-15-2002
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point

I completely understand.
Old 02-27-2002

KenD is on a distinguished road

hey guys lets not knock wives there are some great ones out there, my wife has personally paid for all three of the boats I''ve owned they were birthday gifts anniversary gift and a gee hon what do you want for christmas gift she loves sailing but her thing is gardening so i dig holes for plants it"s not a bad exchange
content
Old 02-27-2002

bporter is on a distinguished road

Second that - my wife is a tremendous sport. Let''s me spend a stupid amount of money that she''s earned on really nice toys. And she''ll come out to play too.

Last B-Day, I asked her for one thing - just to LOOK at a new boat. That was it. We put an offer on it two days later.

Can''t knock that.
Old 02-28-2002

Wildheart001 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for standing up for your wives. I am not married anymore but still get SO tired of the comments about how "all women want to do is get their hooks in us", and "life is better without the ball and chain" from the guys.

Geez, seems like I''ve been hanging around the wrong kind of men, huh?

Maybe - - just maybe - - there are still guys out there who appreciate equality, being treated well, companionship, etc. Marriage is a partnership, not a dictatorship.

Wildheart
Old 02-28-2002

sailor2169 is on a distinguished road

wildheart: to each his own.
Old 02-28-2002

bporter is on a distinguished road

I got lucky the 1st time. Not everyone does; I''ve known enough bad-marriage stories to understand some of the ragging.

Wives and sailing are a discussion topic unto itself. It surprises me how many times you hear about a guy that decides he needs to cruise the world. His wife doesn''t share the dream, so off he goes without her (saw a post like that a couple days back on this board somewhere).

Of course, it''s also surprising what a nightmare we can make sailing for our wives. How many couples end up fighting over on the water atrocious behavior (yelling, impatience, etc.) from the male half of the team.

For me, if I couldn''t take her along I wouldn''t want to go. Of course, if I couldn''t take her along I probably couldn''t AFFORD to go, but that''s another issue...