SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A Sunday Sail

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  camaraderie 
#1 ·
Left Fort Pierce this morning after fueling up and pumping out, and headed out the Inlet. Outgoing tidal flow, wind on my stern, I made my way out to deeper water, unfurled the 110 and cut off the engine. Running 6.5 to 7.5 knots on the GPS, on just the jib. Put on some tunes, filled my pipe, and grabbed a beverage, then sat back to enjoy the ride up the coast. Now this is a Sunday Sail. Hope everyone has as good a day as I'm having.

#6 ·
Glad your trip is going well.

#8 ·
Didn't go out to the Gulfstream. I'm cruising along, on full sails, just about to round Cape Caneveral. 10-15 knots out of the wnw, seas 2-3 with the occasional higher one.

Had a couple of hours around 3:30 when I had to run the motor, but otherwise, been good sailing. If the wind stays like this, or even shifts more SW likes it's suppose to, I'll be in hog heaven.

Gotta love them cruise ships, they're lit up like a Christmas Tree.

Currently at 28 24 43 N 80 24 37 W

#9 ·
My question is, whats in that pipe your smoking?
Just messing with you.
Enjoy yourself as it sounds like you are doing just that.
A pleasant breeze and 2-3 foot seas, what could be any better.

Me, no winds and rain on Sunday.
Saturday, no wind and a storm blew trough 40-50 knot gust at the front edge of it. We did not make it on to the slip in time. Had a hell of a time trying to dock. I should have taken my own advice and stayed out in deep water.

Fair winds to you and your crew.

#11 ·
You can check with Matt about what's in it TJK. Those Lake Michigan storms can be nasty, hope the boat is alright. Crew is now just me, myself, and I, since Tampa.

Currently at 29 44 59 N 80 12 48 W

#14 ·
Made it to St Augustine by 2:00 pm. Coming in the Inlet was quite straightforward, plenty of depth between the markers. Turned off to Salt Run to anchor for the night. 28 hours, Fort Pierce to St Augustine, 20 of which were under sail. Hopefully, these winds, as forecast, hold up for a few more days.

Currently at 29 53 09 N 81 17 03 W

#15 ·
Hey John...nice run!! Glad the inlet was no problem for you. Nice town...but I guess you are anxious to be on your way. Catch the Havana Cafe downtown on your way back!
Where next...St. Mary's River or St. Simons?
Both are easy inlets. If you go in St. Simons...be sure you have the updated chart...there has been a change in buoys in the last couple of years ...don't get too close to the starboard shore land of the inlet before you turn right. Golden Isles marina there is a good stop for fuel and sundries and there is a comfortable anchorage just south of the marina if you're not up for the transient dock fees.
If you go in St. Mary's instead, there is an anchorage across from Fernandina Muni Marina that is OK in good weather but be aware the tidal current is quite strong there and you need a good hook (or 2) and rode. The other alternative is to head north to the Cumberland Island anchorage which is more settled but further from the inlet. Another incredible place to visit when you have time. Probably my favorite place on the whole ICW in terms of "nature".
Fair winds buddy!

#16 ·
If the forecast holds, I'll go for another allnighter and head to Hilton Head Island. If it doesn't, I'll try for St Simons.

Yes, this is pretty much a get there thing. I'll do the sightseeing when I go back down this fall. Also, it's showing me what to expect, compared to what I'd planned. So far, I've ended up spending way more time in marinas than I wanted, or expected to. Still haven't found a routine that I'm happy with, but I think that's partly because of the nature of this part of the trip.

Currently at 29 53 09 N 81 17 03 W

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.