SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Stolen boat recovered...

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
1968 40' Bristol that has been missing for over two years was located last week and is on its way back to Fort Lauderdale. The vessel was being lived on, but when word got out that the boat was found and about to be taken, the theif stripped everything, even the galley sink. Alll systems are dismanteled with parts missing. After putting pieces of the engine back together, the private investigator and the mechanic who were hired to seize the vessel and return her to me are slowly headed home with lights running off a portable battery pack and a hand held gps. They should arrive later in the week. Thank God for good friends, because I could not have gotten this far without them.

I am not going to be able to keep the vessel. Not that I would not like to, but other circumstances are going to prevent it. I am searching for advice as to how to proceed from here. Unfortunately, the vessel is going to have to be sold in some state other than completely restored. What should I do now? What should I leave for the new owner? Is there anyone in my area looking for work that knows about Bristol's? These questions could go on for ever, so anyone out there who has a little knowledge and experience to share wiith me?

#4 ·
Coverage on the boat had been cancelled when the boat was taken. I am ashamed to admit that I let "Prince Charming" convince me to sell my condo and buy a boat that I knew nothing about to become a live-aboard cruiser. It sounded wonderful at the time. Not so good, when my bank account was empty and Prince Charming and the boat were gone, and I was left to pick up the pieces. The boat was beautiful at one time, and I enjoyed the little time that I spent sailing on her. I feel that I owe her more than just dumping her for what I can get out of her. So, here I am, asking the sailing community for advice. I definately made a mistake with Prince Charming, but all of you love sailing. That is one of the reasons that you are part of sailnet. I think asking for advice here is a wise decission.

#7 ·
If you care about the boat, and have the inclination, then restoration of the boat isn't a completely unrealistic idea. It will be a bit expensive, but provided the hull, deck and rig are in good shape, you should have a relatively easy time refitting her. It will take a fair bit of sweat equity and money, but then she'll really be your boat.

If you do decide to refit her, let us know, and we'll give you what advice we can.

I would also highly recommend you file suit against Prince Charming, who sounds like a pretty low bastard.

#8 ·
Suggest listing the boat on Craig's list or E-bay if it is in bad shape. Otherwise have a local broker evaluate it and tell you what he thinks it is now worth based on condition. Have him show you BUC Book or NADA values AND recent actual sale prices for similar boats and justify his position. Good luck!

#9 ·
The hull is in good shape. The deck and housing needs some paint work. The rig is in good shape as far as I can tell. The jib and main are in good condition according to the men returning her to me. I do care about the boat, and feel responsible for the shape that she has found herself in. Getting the vessel back has been a costly process. I have been told that I could sell her as is and recoup that money. I do not have unlimited funds, but really feel that I would like to do what I can to bring her back before I have to send her to a new home. I do not have any idea where to start, and do not want to waste money on things that are not important or things that a new owner would likely change. Where do I start?

#10 ·
Heck, Get some new friends, ones who sail, go down and figure out the minimum you need to get her sailing. Do that much. Sinks, heads, cushions, interior trim and lights-that's all optional stuff. Lots of us are sailing around in unfurnished boats. Most of the ones with well furnished boats have unfurnished houses.(G)

#14 ·
Most of the value of a boat are in its hull, deck, rigging, sails and engine. They rest has a five year life span (in value). So sell the boat as is. If you really feel so boat proud about her, tidy up the topsides and give her new anti-fouling. A clean, if empty, interior is good too.

Any chance the thief was Prince Charming?

#15 ·
A lot of folks would love to have a boat like yours but can't afford one. So like me, they look for a cheaper project boat to fix up.(I've brought new life in to several clunkers) Therefore, selling yours as such, doesn't necessarily mean you are dumping it or throwing it away. Sounds though, like you'd really like to keep it and all that it needs is the minor stuff. Folks that race will often gut their interiors on purpose to remove weight. If you post some pics, we can get a better idea of what needs to be done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.