Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007

theArchitect is on a distinguished road
Main Halyard

On the 30" boat where the main is raised at the mast vs. the cockpit, what is the proper way to stow the halyard after raising the main sail? Coiled and hung from a cleat on the mast? Some other way? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2007

Sabre66 is on a distinguished road
I coil the halyard in a figure 8 leaving about 2' at the end. I take the coil and roll it around the left over line near the top of the coil, toward the mast. When there's about 8" left I pull it up through the top coil, forming a loop, and hang the halyard from a cleat. The nice thing about coiling a line like this is that you can grab the coil, lift it off the cleat, yank it downward and it will instantly uncoil.
Old 06-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, Sabre66's description is pretty good. You want to leave the halyards stored in a way that they can be easily and quickly freed. In an emergency, you may need to lower the mainsail quickly, and if you're trying to undo some fancy knots... you might run out of time and options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-04-2007

nolatom will become famous soon enough
On a nice day, near shore, where we're not using the cabin much, I'd just toss it down the main hatch, keeps the deck clear if you're racing. If offshore or more challenging conditions, I'd do it the way Sabre66 says.
Old 06-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom
On a nice day, near shore, where we're not using the cabin much, I'd just toss it down the main hatch, keeps the deck clear if you're racing. If offshore or more challenging conditions, I'd do it the way Sabre66 says.
Bad idea! Why would anyone store a halyard like this?
Old 06-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm guessing that nolatom has the halyards led aft to the cockpit, and he's trying to limit the number of lines in the cockpit... not the way I would do it...but it's not my boat, and I don't race.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-04-2007
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
That seems to be a fairly common practice on smaller boats, like a J-22 or 24, at least the one's I've crewed on, at least for the short weeknight races. Nobody goes below until accept to pass out the beer anyway until the sails are down anyway.

Courtney's my Dancing Angel

Where am I, and where's my paddle?
It's not impossible, it just costs more.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.
Old 06-04-2007

He's tossing them down the main hatch...not into the cockpit. A very bad idea. I've seen so many accidents occurring from this kind of sloppiness.
Basic seamanship begins with tidiness If you're racing and you and your crew knows the boat then fine...otherwise stow it neatly.
All I do is race and I would never stow a halyard that way

Last edited by Sabre66; 06-04-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-11-2007

resdog is on a distinguished road
I had one boat where the main halyard came out of the mast about 6 ft off the deck and went to a dedicated winch and cleat. I would coil it and jam it between the tightened halyard and the mast. It never came out and was always out of the way.
Old 06-11-2007

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
My lines run aft and, whether racing or cruising, all of the cabin top control lines that come aft are dropped down the companionway hatch. I don't see how that is sloppy - it's far better than stowing them on deck and it's easier for the pit to keep everything organized.

If the halyard stayed at the mast, I would do as suggested above: neatly coiled and hung from a cleat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.