Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Question Reef ties?

It seems most sailors reef ties are not "permanently" attached? After getting caught in a thunderstorm that came up very quickly I am considering doing so...thoughts?

Drawbacks & Advantages of doing this (besides it not looking so good)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 06-04-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef
It seems most sailors reef ties are not "permanently" attached? After getting caught in a thunderstorm that came up very quickly I am considering doing so...thoughts?

Drawbacks & Advantages of doing this (besides it not looking so good)?
Ours are. Looks a bit untidy I guess but a small craft at sea is not the tidiest of critters after all. We use shock cord at the moment but I'm changing to simple ties. No hard bits to take out an eye when you lose your grip. (which I've been known to do at times ! )

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 06-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you have lazyjacks, it really isnt' all that necessary to tie in the reef points, as the lazy jacks can help keep the sail's bunt contained.

IMHO, the reef points only need to be tied in if you're going to be reefed for an extended period of time, say a long downwind passage in the trades. For the duration of a short summer storm... or a beat back from a daysail, I don't really think it is necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-04-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Whatever's easiest. As far as not looking good, ever look at all those old photos of schooners. Trust me, you'll look very salty.
Old 06-04-2007

ARrrrrrrhhh...salty good.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-04-2007

capttb is on a distinguished road
Mine are there fulltime, don't need to find 'em when needed.
Old 06-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBowman
I have 2 sets of reefpoints in the main and every cringle has a permanent reef tie in it. I just tie a knot on either side to secure it into place. I also use lazy jacks on the main, but that is not a subsitute for reef ties nor was it ever intended to be used as such. How are you going to hold the reduced sail down on the boom with lazy jacks with the wind-a-blowin and be a-foolin with the sail shape with lazy jacks? Lazy jacks are for the mooring ball or marina only and I challenge, yes I drop the gauntlet to anyone who can describe how lazy jacks can subsitute in place of sail ties. Of course this challenge is in good nature, as we all skipper our vessels in the way that we deem best.
No one said that lazyjacks were a replacement for reef tie in points... just that they can help keep the sail out of your way and contained near the boom for short durations. If you're only reefing for a short summer squall, I really don't see any need for lashing the sail at every reef point. On a longer duration passage, where the sail might be reeefed for several days, it would make sense to use the reefing ties properly.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-05-2007

What are you using if they are permanent?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-05-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Mine are tied in and I think they look good. I have yet to run into a disadvantage. And there is no digging in the locker looking for them when needed.
Old 06-05-2007

yachtsmanwa is on a distinguished road
Put them in trust me

It does not matter what they look like when the heat is on brought about by an intence low and you are on deck putting in a reef before she starts to really blow it is very very handy to have the ties in place. Trying to put them in is difficult when you are under pressure and whats more it can add to the danger level of being up front for tooooo long.
Make sure tho that the length of the ties can mean that they can be done up without being tight. If they are too tight you will have the cringles torn from the sail.