SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What's up with all of the spam

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  SimonV 
#1 ·
from tipcell.com?

#3 ·
The mods are MIA... I've been flagging stuff as spam with no response for weeks...

#13 ·
sailingdog said:
The mods are MIA... I've been flagging stuff as spam with no response for weeks...
None of it gets any response. Why ? If one wished to be paranoid about it one might be tempted to think that this so called Spam could be a shifty form of advertising ? Surely not. No one would be that devious , would they ?

Remember kiddies, it's not paranoia when they really are out to get you.

#14 ·
US,
The Cuban approved all photos, I don't like sleeping with one eye open heheheh.

About the spam, I don't mind, I'm looking for a way to turn .50 into 50k, need a bigger "unit", need to stop going bald, can't wait to hear from my nigerian prince, or hey, isn't there some way I can use this solar stik too?

#15 · (Edited)
Want to see just how big these spammers are? Do a google search on www dot tipcell dot com (enter term correctly) - 86,000 references.

The danger is that other spammers also search for someone like this to find those forums where they themselves are able to post. It is extremely important to delete spammers' posts as soon as possible to avoid "flooding".

#17 ·
Obviously, if Jeff the admin is working at teh SN office, and JeffH has a real job and just a volunteer per say, there is only sooooo many minutes in a day. A place this big per say, needs more than on mod to make sure things runs smoothly, along with an admin that is full time. I moderate at a site that is just as big or bigger yet, and spam as above listed, rarely lasts 15 min to an hr, depending upon the forum etc. But then there is usually a paid staffer online 24/7, and with a mod per forum......things stay reasonably undercontrol.....

Something is haywire in the above. Not saying that mods are needed here per say, other than the spam part. Most folks here are pretty good about not railing on ea other etc too much!

marty

#18 · (Edited)
SailinJay said:
I sent a PM directly to Jeff the Administrator (as opposed to Jeff H) a few days ago about tipcell.com. Guess they're not paying much attention. Cam would have jumped right on it.
sorry - I somehow overlooked your message and for that I apologize! I love jumping on this rubbage and nuking it.

you can also always email be directly at support@sailnet.com

thanks for keeping on the lookout - it is much appreciated. Tipcell's spam has now made into our list of "patterns" to automatically regognize and nuke.

ps: I'm Jeff J

thanks

Jeff

#20 ·
administrator said:
can you tell me what you mean by "flagging stuff"? I have not received any PM's or emails from you so I wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking soemthng you may be doing where you perceive you're informing of us spam.

thanks in advance.

Jeff J
Jeff,

In the top right hand corner of the message box is an exclamation mark which when activated brings up a "report spam or abuse" message box.

I've sent off at least a dozen of these and I also sent an email directly to support. Receipt of that email was acknowledged but it was never answered.

Regards

#21 ·
administrator said:
can you tell me what you mean by "flagging stuff"? I have not received any PM's or emails from you so I wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking soemthng you may be doing where you perceive you're informing of us spam.

thanks in advance.

Jeff J
Umm.. the little caution icon..that is supposed to allow you to flag or mark posts as spam, as TDW has described, doesn't seem to do jack. I wasn't aware that a PM or e-mail would be required, as I thought there was already a mechanism for flagging posts in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.