SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Dog on board

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  SailorMitch 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am new here and am thinking of cruising with my Jack Russell Terrier. Any thoughts? I think he will be very handy on the boat. Take a look at the video of what he can do, it will save tons of water!

See less See more
#3 ·
Jack Russells tend to be a bit gamy and tough... Labradors are a much better choice, and provide a few more meals on top as well. ;)

#4 · (Edited)
awesome, you can x-nay the dishwasher and garbage disposal saving lots of room. if he can lick the laundry clean too you can do without the washing maching. I dont think he can do much for the on deck hot tub. but you never know. I'm just being an a$$ but i say "sail with him" i'd bet he will be alot of fun to cruise with. I cruised with a pomeranian excellent for swabbing the cockpit after blowing chunks. a fun little dog, had to give her away before going south pacific, but she went to a good home. one of the problems cruising with pets...heartbreaking. see her on the bow

#6 ·
Well you can use the dog for shark bait.
If he is a yapper. An emergency fog signal device.
As above. A lookout, the bigger the ship bearing down on you the louder he yaps.
An attack dog for any flying fish that comes aboard.

#7 ·
Emergency rations

Yeah, you need to track down that thread of the lady with her two "near genius" bull dogs. Wonder what ever happened to her and hubby -- not to mention the Staffy and the Bully? Or, as a certain someone said at the time:

Shackleton proved beyond a doubt that having emergency rations along on a trip is a good thing.

#8 ·
Her husband was "genius dog trainer" or something like that.. so maybe the two dogs mutinied and ate her and her husband and are now off sailing the south pacific by themselves. :D

#9 ·
sailingdog said:
Her husband was "genius dog trainer" or something like that.. so maybe the two dogs mutinied and ate her and her husband and are now off sailing the south pacific by themselves. :D
Sounds likely. The dogs were clearly the brains of that operation.

#11 ·
pigslo said:
Are you just looking for recipes? How about the Korean book "101 Ways to Wok Your Dog"

pigslo
Pigslo-

Koreans did not just "wok" any old dog. They actually had a specific species that was raised as a food animal. If you're looking to "wok" random dogs, then you need to look to Vietnamese, Chinese, Cambodian or Thai cuisines... ;)

#12 ·
sailingdog Quote:
Originally Posted by pigslo
Are you just looking for recipes? How about the Korean book "101 Ways to Wok Your Dog"

pigslo

Pigslo-

Koreans did not just "wok" any old dog. They actually had a specific species that was raised as a food animal. If you're looking to "wok" random dogs, then you need to look to Vietnamese, Chinese, Cambodian or Thai cuisines...
Ohhh, this is getting hillarious!!

#15 ·
KismetP362 said:
Big issue is, they can act as your dingy's radar when your lost in Maine fog.

"Honey, yell to the dogs so I can figure out where the boat is by which way they look!!"
At least this guy won't starve! Or...the dogs won't either -- take your pick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.