SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sleeping in comfort? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/33454-sleeping-comfort.html)

wildcard 06-10-2007 10:51 AM

Sleeping in comfort?

Im looking at ways to have a little for a little more comfort while sleeping on boats. I just spent an awful night on an older Catalina. For borrowed boats Im thinking of using the self inflating air mattress we use camping. For my boat we just redidthe cushions and it's MUCH better but still not good enough. Im lookinng for ideas for a matress pad that can be stowed. Any ideas?

jackytdunaway 06-10-2007 11:05 AM

I am looking for the same thing. I am leaning towards one of those memory foam jobs that you can get at Sam's or Costco. the problem is storage vs. comfort. my V-berth on the P-27 is the table dropping down with a 4" pad on it and the settee. So i have to store it during the day. The Sam's has a 3" foam that is tough to roll up (i checked out the 24" x 24" sample they have laying out) Costco has a 2.5" faom + 1.5 in fiber pad for a total of 5" but it seams to roll better. When i make up my mind i will have it cut to fit.

wildcard 06-10-2007 12:01 PM

As always, where do you store it? I suppose I dont need six sails in the sail locker but I still need room for two full size berth pads. Thus my thoughts of self inflating air matress.
Best bed I have ever slept on incliding my memoryfoam was on my fishing boat. I laid boards across the V berts then put down 4 inches of dense green foam and 2 inches of soft white foam. Man it was soooo nice

T37Chef 06-10-2007 12:08 PM

An egg crate type foam pad has made a huge difference in our v berth, cheap but you don't see it...and it rolls up nice if needed.

wildcard 06-10-2007 12:32 PM

Its hard to find quality egg crates any more, most are less than a inch thick. Maybe I'll just make 2 inch pads that cover the regular pads... Still a storage issue thou.

ianhlnd 06-10-2007 12:42 PM

I sleep good with a big anchor and all chain rode. For the bed, sounds like the inflatable mattress is your best bet, they don't take up a lot of room deflated, and when it's rocking, you can deflate a little to keep from rolling off.

Idiens 06-10-2007 12:53 PM

I experimented with an inflatable matress last year. It worked well, as Ian said, deflates to storable size and can be inflated to taste. However, pumping it up was an extra evening chore and I don't expect too much life before leaks, but they are cheap enough. We use standard domestic bed coverings, although we carry sleeping bags and use one opened out on the matress as a liner to vector moisture away.

jabsc1 06-10-2007 01:43 PM

For comfort, we are using a product called "Froli". It's the equivilant to a box springs of a conventional bed. It is extremely comfortable, but I think it's only going to work on a fixed berth, not one that gets stored everyday. If you want more info you can google "froli" and you should find it rather easily. We are getting a much better nights sleep with this product and a 3 inch piece of foam. Good Luck!

hellosailor 06-10-2007 02:07 PM

For storing a foam pad check out the "Space Bags", those big thick ziplock bags used fo clothing storage. Ziplock also makes them now, but the space bag folks now make them in suit/dress length, which probably would make it possible to just fold the mattress in the middle and insert it. Once you suck or squeeze the air out--those bags really squeeze things down, same way as the "self-inflating" camping mattresses, or better. And of course they keep it wet/dry, as it may be. (I'd let it dry out a bit after getting out of bed before stowing it.<G>)

Bermuda30 06-10-2007 02:20 PM

I've never had much luck with the inflatable beds, they just don't seem as robust as they should be. I have one in my apartment at school (Read as: poor college student), and it has at least 10 patches on it from this term alone. I have a knockoff memory foam aboard though, sleeps beautifully.