Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007
can't name here 31

cssdengr is on a distinguished road
We Hit a Tree....

Only 5 miles of Dismal Swamp Canal to go and my father-in-law asks for a term at the helm. I took the opportunity to go below and a minute later there's a crash and a radical turn. I get topsides just in time to dodge falling poplar branches.

Haven't been up the mast yet but so far I can tell that the anchor light is gone, the loran antenna is bent 90 degrees but functioning, the lightning diffuser looks okay and the wind indicator is pointing straight up.

The good part is I now have someone to blame everything that's wrong with this 20 year old boat on.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ummm... how close to shore were you sailing??? Poplar trees aren't all that wide IIRC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-14-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
That is one long and straight boring ass waterway. And that's with a motorboat running 40 mph! If I remember correctly you can note the curvature of the earth and see a horizen looking down the canal.
Old 06-14-2007
Armchair Horn Sailor

Alden68 is on a distinguished road
If I know father in laws that one was on purpose.....
Old 06-14-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
Heehee...my condolences. I did that once, when I was pulling up to a side tie. Thankfully I was making less than a knot of headway. I thought that I had run aground but was confused by all the sticks and leaves falling into the cockpit!

Probably was a good time for you to check/change that light anyhow! And Loran?...I thought they cancelled that
Old 06-14-2007

voodooacrobat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to voodooacrobat
Been there, hit that. Mine was a cottonwood tree coming into Bolles Harbor near Monroe, Michigan last year. I was watching the busy Memorial Day traffic (two outbound powerboats), watching the inbound drunk powerboater crowding me further toward the breakwall, watching my depth sounder.... Never thought to look up. Crash!!!

I had ten feet of bushy cottonwood laying on deck between the shrouds and the doghouse. I'm not sure what was worse: having all of the fishermen on the breakwall pointing and chuckling, the drunken powerboater who told me I should pay more attention, or having to carry the foliage on deck up the creek to my marina. (I tried to explain to one staring sailor that I was a "stealth boat" camoflaged for duck hunting. He didn't buy it.)

A jaunty tilt to my VHF antenna and a slightly warped wind indicator were the only damage. I got off lucky.
Old 06-15-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
You could name your boat 'Lightning'. When people ask "Is she fast?", you'd say "No, she hits trees."
Old 06-15-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Nimphy wants to know that cruising area, we like boring. oh and by the way she does not like hunters but can tolerate catalinas and benes, how lucky i am

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 06-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHand
You could name your boat 'Lightning'. When people ask "Is she fast?", you'd say "No, she hits trees."
LOL, That's not bad...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-15-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHand
That's cold. Funny, but cold