Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007

wifeofasailor is on a distinguished road
Question Retirement ceremony for boats/captains?

Hi -
A friend of mine is planning a retirement party for a co-worker who is an avid sailor. He'd like to use the theme of a retirement ceremony for a ship, or captain, if there is such a thing. Can anyone give me any info. on this type of ceremony?
All I could think of was using the term "old salt" when referring to the retiree, and the phrase "fair winds and following seas" on the cake (or maybe a banner...) Any suggestons would be appreciated, even if they are just retirement party ideas for a guy who loves to sail (and not necessarily "official" nautical retirement ceremony ideas.) Thanks so much - Kris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Those words on a cake would be a good start. Could put a little model boat on there as well.
Old 06-16-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Get him a battery operated fan and a can of beans to help him put the "wind" in his sails!! (G)
Old 06-16-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Place the body aboard the vessel in question, set afire, and cast off.

Oops, wrong century.

p.s.
this is only considered appropriate if the vessel is owned by the retiree
Old 06-16-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Kris,

I have attended retirement ceremonies for members of my family that served as naval officers. These are very formal occasions, abiding by long held traditions of the sea, including much drawing and sheathing of swords, being piped aboard and ashore one final time by the botswains whistle, reading of final orders, and other ceremonial customs of the seafaring life.

As a recreational sailor who has not served in the navy, I would frankly be chagrinned if my retirement party mimicked the naval ceremony, because I would be being afforded an honor which I was not due. And if any service members were present, they too might take umbrage. We are also a superstitious lot, and accepting an honor we didn't rate would make most sailors uncomfortable.

There's nothing wrong with a nautical theme, of course. A "Fair Winds" cake, as was mentioned, is a good start. My best suggestion, if your friend is anything like the rest of us, is to thoughtfully acknowledge his avocation with a gift card to a leading purveyor of sailing gear. Sailors ALWAYS need/want more gear, and a gift card gives them an excuse to go out and splurge without feeling guilty about the budget (I hope my family reads this.) Good luck!
Old 06-16-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I follow John's thoughts.

One more: don't get him a real sextant that's been cut up and made into an end lamp or plaque. Decorative ones, fine, but sometimes the real ones get scrapped that way, another embarassment.

Now, OTOH, having someone dress up as King Neptune and doing a "crossing" ceremony, akin to crossing the equator for the first time, might be appreciated.
Old 06-22-2007

Thanks so much for your reply - I love the King Neptune idea. I do think I'll encourage stressing a nautical theme, not so much the actual ceremony, so as not to offend any who have served.
Old 06-22-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I would add a ships bell to your party.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 06-22-2007

Thanks for your input - I absolutely don't want to offend anyone - I appreciate your gentle reminder to be sure to respect those who have earned the full ceremony. I think I'll recommend that my friend stick to the "fair winds and following seas" idea, without trying to do his own version of a retirement ceremony. Kris
Old 06-22-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I really don't think anyone would take offense to your proceedings even if you hinted toward the official retirement ceremony.