SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Can you identify THIS S/V ??

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Please allow me a small correction, the Caravela (a Portuguese invention, sailboat of the 1440's that could actually point into the wind) had triangular sails, known as Vela Latina, (the mother of the Genoa and jib) and no bowsprit.

Here is a Caravela.

The one there in the photo is a Carranca, square sails, used by Gil Eanes and Bartolomeu Dias to cross the Good Hope Cape. Also a Portuguese invention.

The reason for using a square sail that needed more crew, was due to the fact that most of the sailing past the good hope to India was done with downwind. Thus the choice of Bartolomeu Dias.

It could very well be a Portuguese replica, or a replica of a boat that the Spanish "copied" from the Portuguese and was used by Comombo.

However, as Colombos boats were all Caravelas, not Carrancas, that can't be one of Colombos boats.

I can tell you this:

That bow structure, arched up bellow the bowsprit, is NOT Portuguese design. To me this is either a Dutch or Swedish vessel from the 1700's, but seems too small. I think its a replica, made for movies...The bow structureis typical Northern Europe. And can be seen in the Vasa. The great big Disaster boat that only sailed 3 feet beckwards and sunk on launch!!!!

I think its a small replica of a Dutch Vessel from the Indies Company.

Portuguese and Spanish Vessels had the Cross Of Christ in the Sails.

#5 ·
I'm voting for something from the early Mass. Bay Colony.

That flag would be referred to as a "red flag with a white canton with a red cross in it" and in searching for that I found a reference that "In 1636 a famous sermon was preached in Salem, Massachusetts by Roger Williams (who was later banished and became the founder of Rhode Island) which stated the cross was a symbol of popery and was therefore the symbol of the antichrist. The Governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony, John Endicott, fearful for his soul, subsequently ordered the cross removed from the flags used in Massachusetts. "

IOW, the early Mass Bay Colony flag matches the exact one flown on that boat. The red cross in the canton being removed in 1636. The general pattern (red flag with white canton) would be English Navy or early New England derivatives apparently.

So...what replicas does that leave recently afloat?

The Jamestown flags supposed had red and white stripes in the main field, per Ship replica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. (This flag doesn't show there.)

#6 ·
I'm not certain but didn't the MBC flag also hve a pine tree in the canton as well?
I thought the English naval ensign of that time was red with the canton being the English white flag with red St. George's cross...
Research is a beautiful thing, no? We'll get to the bottom eventually?

#8 · (Edited)
By George, I think I've got it...

Image:British-Red-Ensign-1620.svg - Wikimedia Commons

Hellosailor, the flag in your link is the British East India Company's flag, which, as far as I know concerned it's trades to the Asian market, India, China, etc.
I'm voting English naval ensign, but I still have no idea what the ship is... looks like a modern day warship in the background, too...hmmm.

#14 ·
USCGRET1990 said:
Did you not go to school and /or remember anything?? The Dove was the
16th Century supply ship to the Maryland colonies. I am sooo dissappointed.
not to put too fine a point on this..but i think the Dove was actually a 17th century vessel..St Mary's city wasn't settled until 1634 as the fourth British settlement (obviously everyone knows Jamestown was the first in 1607)..
see..some of us did pay attention in school...:D

#15 ·
sanctuarysam said:
not to put too fine a point on this..but i think the Dove was actually a 17th century vessel..St Mary's city wasn't settled until 1634 as the fourth British settlement (obviously everyone knows Jamestown was the first in 1607)..
see..some of us did pay attention in school...:D
Absolutely right...in the 16th century only the greatest were sailing (read Portuguese) outside coastal waters......
At that time, the British were still wipeing their asses to stones, and chasing Braveheart and his band of "skirt" men....:D :D :D :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.