Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
Although I am only slightly superstitious, I renamed our boat after we purchased her at the end of last season. The first time we took her out this year, the line on the roller furling tangled, requiring me to dropp the jib to motor back in to the marina. When we were approaching the marina, I started to smell a slight burning odor (like rubber burning). About three slips from mine, I throttled the diesel down to idle and it cut out completely. Luckily, we had enough momentum to make to the slip and secure the spring line. Upon further investigation, the belt had basically worn through and was tossed off the engine. So, after re-winding the furler (no damage) and replacing the belt on the diesel (no damage) I guess that was just a warning that I need to find some damn virgin urine to pour on the bow. Does anybody know what the minimum age for the virgin is to qualify?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaschrumpf
The Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars renamed captured enemy ships all the time and didn't worry about name changes being unlucky.

If it's good enough for Jack Aubrey, it's good enough for me.

Now I just have to think of a good new name for Free Spirit, which seems kinda cliched.
How about Sophie, Aubrey's first boat, (Master and Commander)
Old 07-17-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Talking

It doesn't seem to me that any of you are taking this name change seriously enough. You have to remember that you are dealing with GODS here, and we must show the proper respect. I have changed the name of all but one of my boats without any major repercutions, partly I am sure, because I have approached it from the perspective of "you can never be too careful". Having spent enough time on the water to come to the conclusion that there are forces out there much stronger than me or any of my little boats, it only seems prudent to pay a little respect to the ancient Gods of the seas. I recommend, and strictly adhere to, Vigor's Interdenominational boat denaming ceremony(48° Vigor's Interdenominational Boat Denaming Ceremony). Follow it precisely, first with the denaming ceremony and then (with a proper time interval in between) with the actual re-naming. I strongly urge you to pay particular notice to the recommendation, no, the requirement, that you not use CHEAP champagne, the Gods do know the difference. The same applies to the VOLUME, don't be stingy (re: Gods). Following these procedures exactly has eased my mind numerous times when it seemed that I may have inadvertently pissed one of them off big time.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 07-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
jrd22-

I mentioned John Vigor's ceremony back in post 13 of this thread... so, you're a bit late mentioning it IMHO...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-17-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Aren't boat names supposed to be female, in that ships are called her and she?! My favorite to date..."Queen Ann's Revenge"...!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
jrd22-

I mentioned John Vigor's ceremony back in post 13 of this thread... so, you're a bit late mentioning it IMHO...
Excuse me Dog,
I gave a link to a renaming ceremony back on post #7.

I believe if we look closely, they are one in the same.
(I will verify that and get back to you)

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL, I never said I was first... just that he was a bit late in mentioning it... touchy, touchy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1
Excuse me Dog,
I gave a link to a renaming ceremony back on post #7.

I believe if we look closely, they are one in the same.
(I will verify that and get back to you)

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-17-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I'm glad we all have a sence of humor.
Gota love sailnet.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-17-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Sailingdog- As were you, apparently, but it's not really very important in any case is it?. The link, or mention of the ceremony was not the central message of my post anyway. JD

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 07-17-2007
Scourge of Howe Sound

Hyperion is on a distinguished road
jrd22 and sailortjk1 earned some rep on this one. I love how even the most innocuous post can become a flashpoint for conflict on SailNet.